NJ DISers!: Been to PNC Arts Center? UPDATE: Pg. 1

swanmom

<font color=purple>Victoria and Alberts - Hands Do
I looking for some help for someone who's been to the PNC Arts Center. We have tickets (pavilion not lawn seating) for a concert this Saturday night. I have directions but need other info like ....
How bad is the pre-event traffic? How early do people usually get there?
I heard that people 'tailgate' prior to the concert. Is this for all events or just 'rock' concerts?
Is there a better or worse place to park? Is it a trek from the parking lot to the pavilion?
Any other advice re: food, travel, etc.?

I figure if any group would try to help with this one it would be the DISers of New Jersey!

UPDATE: Just wanted to thank everyone who helped with this thread. The info was tremendously helpful. We got there about
2 hours early, found a perfect parking space, had a picnic near the car, and saw the best darn concert I've seen in a long time.
Bonnie Raitt and Lyle Lovett were amazing!!! (And Snoopy, if
you're listening.... she sang "Angel from Montgomery." It brought the crowd of 17,000 to a standstill!) Again, thanks everybody for giving us the inside info we needed to make our 17th anniversary
evening absolutely perfect.

No information, just curious if this was formerly called the Garden State Arts Center? I lived in NJ many years ago and this was right off of the Parkway some where near Perth Amboy I believe.

:bounce::wave::bounce:

Yep. Same place ... just cough up enough money and you, too can have your name on it! LOL !

Any info from someone's who's been there?

I've been there but not for several years.

In my opinion, you need to allow at least 45 minutes from the time you park til you get into the pavillion and seated. Parking can be close or quite far away - up a steep hill - and although they did have bus service between the far lot and the entrance (I assume they still do), many people just do the walk because the bus service takes forever.

As far as tailgating is concerned, I can't help you. We used to bring sandwiches but as I haven't been there in years, I no longer can really give you any accurate information.

My understanding is that now you can no longer bring any food into the venue at all - not even water - but must purchase it from their vendors. This raised a huge hue and cry at the beginning but I believe the policy has not changed. And prices are expensive.

As far as the Garden State Parkway (which is the most direct way there from out of the immediate area), it's a fairly crowded road and traffic does slow at the PNC Art Center exit. PNC is located south of Perth Amboy - exit 116 - around Hazlet.

Having just spent the weekend with Barry Manilow at PNC, I think I can help you out. ;)

PNC is directly off the Garden State Parkway, at exit 116. The pre-concert traffic into the venue can be ghastly, so if you can, try to arrive about two hours or so before showtime. Pack some food in a cooler, some blankets or chairs, and "tailgate" for a while. It's a really nice setting, and if you can get a spot in the shade, it's very pleasant to sit and eat before the show.

The food and drink prices there are ASTRONOMICAL - I think it was $4.50 for a bottle of soda or a pretzel. I did see them allowing people to bring in their own water bottles (as long as it was WATER in the bottles) ;)

They provide shuttle buses from the parking lots to the venue, unless you really like walking (I think some of the lots are nearly a mile away) - they just run back and forth, so they show up fairly often.

If you have a misting fan, you might want to bring that with you if it's a hot day - even though it cools down a bit in the evening, you've got to remember there are a lot of bodies in there - I was so glad I remembered to bring mine along, and other people were kicking themselves that they hadn't!

Any other questions that I missed, just let me know.

(And yes, tiggerlover, this used to be called the Garden State Arts Center)

The Garden State Art Center (I can't bring myself to call it by any other name) is a great place to do a pre-concert tailgate party/meal. If you get there early enough, you can get a decent parking place. The later you arrive, the further away you will park (and you may have to take a shuttle bus to get to the center).

I've been to some great concerts there, though I would LOVE to know how you can get decent seats at a reasonable price (not through a scalper or broker). I've always been way in the back (formerly area C, now they have divided the areas up differently).

Here's the website if you need further info: http://www.artscenter.com/

It's my favorite place to see concerts in the summer! I love the "outdoors, but not outdoors" feeling of being under the dome! I usually wind up with seats in the "C" section, too, but I'm happy as long as I have a "real" seat, regardless of the section! I can't do the lawn any more, since they made it steeper, a few years ago - you can't see anything except the big video screens from the lawn, now - you can't see the stage at all! Saw Barry Manilow there, this past Saturday night, and will be seeing Hall and Oates there in 2 weeks! :)

My goodness....I knew I could count on the NJ DISers!

Gina - Thanks for the info.
CookieCVB - Appreciate the specific suggestions!
Annie&Hallie'sMom - Thanks for responding. I got decent seats
without a broker's markup by using my AMEX gold -
ordering seats reserved for gold card holders. We've used
this feature of our gold card for a number of events and
it's been very helpful. (Almost makes it worth the cost of
a gold card!)
IASW - Thanks for your help. Hope you liked Barry!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!