Nikki Bird Hotel

dougsmom98

DIS Veteran
I am interested in the Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Hotel and was going to make reservations. They quoted me $69 for a kidsuite during the week of 12-28 to 1-3-03. Has anyone stayed here recently? I was all set to book but I got nervous about the construction. Can anyone tell me about the construction around 7300 West Isle Bronon Highway? Does anyone know of a hotel that would not be affected by the construction on that highway and would be an easy access to Walt Disney World?
Thanks.
Amy

Oh my, I can really sink my teeth into this one!

My first trip, I booked with AAA and they put us in the Nikki bird. They showed us a picture of a nicer building, however. This place is more like a motel, I never would have stayed there had I known all I know now.

First, for about the same price you can stay onsite. That is, assuming you aren't booking through an agent charging comissions. Check mousesavers.com for some useful codes you may qualify for.

They advertise free transportation to the parks. That is where it ends, this is reality: The buses are hot, and people pack like sardines. They are school buses, nothing like Disney's. Always at least 30 minutes late, stopping at several resorts before they get to yours. You often travel standing up. They drop you off far from the gates and pick you up on a schedule as well. Of course, their schedule may tell you they'll be back at four but they are always late. You end up wasting time by leaving the parks early to walk down to Siberia in the parking lot where they pick you up, and wait over an hour for them to show up... Simply pathetic.

If there is construction going on, you can certainly add more delays in the schedule, on top of it all.

What angered me the most was that for the same price, I could have stayed onsite and enjoyed much better transportation and hospitality.

Wanda

I've stayed there twice in recent years, thought it to be a good value at 49.95 per night, considerably less than I've ever found onsite. Keep in mind, however that a Kidsuite is not a real suite but just a partition around one of the beds in a normal room. It's an old style Holiday Inn (very similar to H.I. Maingate East, except HIME has real suites available)) with parking around the perimeter, two stories, interior courtyards with pools (3 ), buildings spread out over large area, rooms have been remodeled. Angel's Restaurant has a very good breakfast buffet with fresh pastries baked on site and breakfast pizza in addition to the usual breakfast fare. During spring break last year construction was a problem but in another thread a local replied that construction on 192 was complete. That being the case, the drive to WDW (I've never used the shuttles) is extremely easy. Nikki Bird is THE closest maingate west area hotel/motel to WDW.

We just stayed there in early February so you may want to read our trip report posted on the trip report board - also there was no construction we saw around the hotel and there is a traffic light right at the entrance which made getting on and off of 192 very easy.

Actually after checking the discount hotel boards we got the best rate off of the Holiday Inn website.

Hi!

We stayed at the Nikki Bird about two years ago, for about $40/night. I thought it was a good value, as the rooms have 4' high fridges, microwaves and coffeemakers in them. It's also possible to get rooms with one bed and one sofa bed, which we like as it gives you some place to sit and room for the kids to play during the day (this room was $10 more per night). The breakfast buffet was good, filling, and kids ate free with a paying adult. I got food poisoning (at the Grand Floridian!) during my stay and the staff was very courteous- delivered tea and soda gratis, no delivery charge for DD's lunch and dinner ( I was too sick to go down to take out her food), and they even went to the drugstore for me). The pools were good, there's a nice kid's play area. When we were there was during the 192 construction time, but that is finished now so it won't be a problem. It is absolutely the closest hotel to WDW, no doubt! I would forget the kidsuite thing (we think they just take up available floorspace, and unless they have a 2nd tv, who really cares?)and look for a better price- try the Holiday Inn home page, or hotelkingdom.com

Thanks to all who replied. I am interested in hearing more so keep the posts coming. I am so relieved to hear good things about this hotel. Staying on site is just not an option. We can't afford even the All Stars and they don't have a fridge in the room it would have been too expensive. I have also read that food at the on site hotels is expensive.
Thanks!
Amy

Thanks to all who replied. I am interested in hearing more so keep the posts coming. I am so relieved to hear good things about this hotel. Staying on site is just not an option. We can't even afford the All Stars. They don't have a fridge in the room it would have been too expensive. I have also read that food at the on site hotels is expensive.
Thanks!
Amy

Another negative for the Nikki Bird here, and definitely never returning again. A lot of deceptive advertising, the place is certainly ugly. As you drive nearby all you see is the Angel's diner and the motel is in the back.

I kept leaving messages for the housekeeper regarding the stench coming out of the sink. It smelled like something crawled up and died in those pipes whenever we brushed out teeth. It was gross. And then there's the "free" transportation. Always late, always hot. You are at the station on time, waiting to be picked up and sweat and sweat until they show up in those cramped buses. I paid over $65/night in one of those offers but was not worth the penny.

Look up codes for equally affordable, better places in mousesavers.com, entertainment.com, AAA, expedia, and other Internet sources if you can't afford to stay onsite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter