Night owls-what do you do at park closing time?

At MK I like to grab an ice cream cookie sandwich at Plaza Ice Cream Parlor and sit at one of the outdoor yellow tables while waiting for The Kiss Goodnight.

Getting in line for a favorite attraction a few minutes before the park closes is great too.

Love staying until park closings! Dessert parties are fun, the evening firework shows, and as many rides and fast passes I can squeeze in!

Any usually popular ride that we didn't get to before like 7dmt fop nrj etc

Last month at MK hopped in line for PP right at close (took about 20 minutes) and we finally got to see the adorable standby queue!

Then on our way out I went to Casey’s & DH and DS15 went to Plaza ice cream. We sat under the yellow umbrellas and saw the Kiss Goodnight twice. Took some castle photos (still photopass people there) and headed towards buses about 1 hour after park had closed. It was a great night.

I’m totally doing the leisurely Epcot exit in June thanks to this thread so thank you!

We usually catch a few rides until closing, then sit around and people watch for awhile. Also a great time to get photos with not a lot of people in them.

I have experienced many 1100 & midnight closings at the MK over the years and even a few at 1 am.
I love those later hours.
Smaller crowds.
Little to no wait on many rides.
Grabbing a hot dog, fries & frozen lemonade mint julep at Casey's after the park is closed, seeing the Kiss Goodnight and watching the other night owls as they head down Main St.
Getting to the parking lot and having no problem spotting your car because it's one of the few left.

Check out Jellyrolls at the Boardwalk one night after Epcot. It's a lot of fun, piano bar that does all requests, $15 cover charge though.

You can still do a lot after the fireworks show. On a recent visit, we found a 40 minute posted wait on Peter Pan. However, there were only about 10 guests in line and the wait was less than a minute,

Next up was 7DMT. Posted wait was 90 minutes with an actual wait of 10.

We finished the night with 4 rides on Space Mtn in 35 minutes.

Is this only for nights with fireworks before actual park closing time?
We will be in the parks the first week of May and currently MK hours are 9-9 with fireworks at 9.
We have never tried but I though that the lines were only left open until 9. We do want to view the fireworks so I am thinking that hoping on a ride wont be an option for our dates unless hours change or update.

Is there a thread or list on what stays open? So far I have Casey's and Plaza Ice Cream. Does Main St bakery also stay open and are they all open about an hour after actual park close time?

Pretty much all of the shops and such on Main Street stays open (not sure about the meet and greets), otherwise everything closes at park closing as far as I know.

We will be in the parks the first week of May and currently MK hours are 9-9 with fireworks at 9.
We have never tried but I though that the lines were only left open until 9. We do want to view the fireworks so I am thinking that hoping on a ride wont be an option for our dates unless hours change or update.

Is there a thread or list on what stays open? So far I have Casey's and Plaza Ice Cream. Does Main St bakery also stay open and are they all open about an hour after actual park close time?

We are going to be there that week too and I am hoping they lengthen the park hours as well for that week.

The May hours should be finalized by mid-April. If extended, you’ll find the shortest lines of the day after fireworks until closing time.

Just keep in mind that posted waits are intentionally exaggerated at night to discourage late riders.

We stay until the rides shut down, so in the MK we are there well after the fireworks. When the rides stop there are still shops on Main Street last time we got ice cream, watched the castle lights and waited for some of the crowds to die down before making our way out. Much nicer then fighting the crowds.

Honestly, after the parks close, we go out drinking! Love Jellyrolls!
(Other bars we like: Grog Grotto at Poly and Abracadabar on the Boardwalk. It's great to have a couple drinks at Abracadabar and then walk over to Jellyrolls to close the night out there.)

Last edited:
Main street shops are usually open for about an hour past closing time. The ice cream generally closes right at park closing, so get that first :)

Getting in line 2 minutes before is great because it moves fast without fastpass people coming in. Great for nostalgia -- remembering the good old days when the lines were long but moved!

Main street shops are usually open for about an hour past closing time. The ice cream generally closes right at park closing, so get that first :)

Getting in line 2 minutes before is great because it moves fast without fastpass people coming in. Great for nostalgia -- remembering the good old days when the lines were long but moved!
When did the ice cream shop start closing with the park? In January it was open until the other shops closed.

I never tracked this but with going in early Dec and early May, I always thought the parked closed at the same time as fireworks.

So I've been missing out on extra rides on the people mover????

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!