Nice campground in Georgia??

mainecamper

Earning My Ears
We have 3 days to get from Maine to FW and we intend to mostly just stay overnites at the Travelports. But when we get to the coast, we would like to stay in a campground near the ocean somewhere between Atlanta SC and Brunswick GA...a rustic quiet one would be lovely...anyone have any suggestions? We would like to be as close to the ocean as possible...just want to be able to put our feet in the Atlantic without them turning blue for a change!!!!:sunny:

Geez...can you tell that all I've been doing lately is reading maps??? I meant Charleston SC!!!:confused:

My vote would be for Hunting Island State Park

This was one of the nicest parks we have visited! We usually use this as the 1/2 way stop between Annapolis and FW. As our stay was in December, the campground was nearly deserted (except for the sites directly on the ocean).

The park has over a hundred sites divided up into individual loops with a bathhouse for each. The bathhouse was clean with plenty of hot water, but I noted that there was no heat or air conditioning, just open screen windows. In hot or cold weather some may find them uncomfortable.

While it rained every day of our visit, there was sufficient clear time to walk in the woods surrounding the campground and walk on the beach. I think the wide open beach was one of the most enjoyable aspects of this park. But walking on the beach reminded of the power of mother nature. Sticking up from the sand dunes and the beach were ghostly reminders of mans folly in building in coastal areas. The remnants of a camping loop, long reclaimed by the ocean were readily apparent. Water pipes, electrical cable and other parts of the loop stick up in areas of the beach. A road, clearly the access to a camping loop now ends on the sand of the beach.

Only one small area of the campground allows reservations, with the rest first come first served. Most sites are wide with sufficient under-story to shield you from your neighbors. Care should be taken in that several sites marked as pull through are only suitable for tents and obstructions would not allow a vehicle to pull into the site. During slow periods the staff closes off unused loops to allow closing of unneeded bath houses.

While some have reported problems problems with bugs and heat, we were exposed to neither of these due to the time of year.

Patrols by ranges were plentiful. We saw them driving around almost the park 24 hours a day.

Now, if you don't want to drive all the way to the beach, try Santee State Park

This is a beautiful South Carolina park along the banks of Lake Marion. As it is just 6 miles off of I-95 we thought this would be a nice stop on the way to Disney World. We were right!

The park has two camping areas, one directly on the shores of the lake and another a short distance away. While some sites can be reserved, most can not. Being late in the season the park rangers assured us there would be no problem in getting a site. All sites have water and electric with a dup station in each campground.

Upon arrival we selected a site at the end of a road which was wooded on two sides affording the most privacy. I was surprised to find that the site only had 20a electric service. Checking around the campground I found that some had 20a while others had 30a service. I was lucky that I had an adaptor and we did not need the A/C.

The site boundaries are not well defined and a site can expand or contract as needed. The roads and parking areas of the sites are gravel.

While the focus of the park is fishing, bike and hiking trails are available. A short drive away is the Santee outlet mall along side I-95.

With I-95 crossing Lake Marion close by, vehicle noise can be heard in the distance at times. I did notice it but did not feel it was annoying.

Wow, what a reply!!! Hunting Is sounds like just the place we are looking for...do you think they are really busy in March? Says they don't take ressies. But, with all the info we have gotten from you and just looking at web sites we ought to be able to find a nice camp ground...We are so used to the ones here in Maine being very rustic that not having AC won't bother us a bit...give Natasha a pat for me...we have a 10 year old German Shephard named Magic that looks alot like her....she will be staying home this trip...long trips just don't seen to agree with her...she wants to get out constantly and find out what all the new smells are!!! But, our camping trips close to home she's right by our side!!!:p

I would think there would be no problem getting a space in March. Still a little cold for the locals. They may be out on the weekends, but Monday - Friday it is probably empty in the CG.

The do thake reservations (OK maybe not in March) but the spaces that are reservable are really not may favorites anyway.

Too bad Magic won't be with you :(

Natasha loves running on the beach at Hunting Island :)

Chcck it out, I think you will really like it!

Yes, I'll miss her like crazy and have tried to come up with ways to bring her, but I know she'll be miserable and the fellow that is going to stay with her loves her dearly...I think you've talked me into Hunting Is...DH noticed thatt there is a Marine base near by...much noise from that? This is from a man who grew upat the end of the runway of Brunswick Naval Air Base and lulled to sleep by non stop P-3s!!! :o

Well you ave teh Marine Corps Recrut Depot Paris Island right down the road and a Marine Corps air facility (station?) around the corner.

I don't think you will hear much noise from Paris Island and I'm sure most of the pilots are in the desert right now.

But, no - I have never had problems with noise.

It's fun to walk on the beach and watch the shrimp boats work off shore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter