NEXUS renewal - interview required?

Toulouse

Ladies don't start fights but they can finish them
So my husband and I have had NEXUS cards for the past 5 years and my expiry was just on Nov 13 on my birthday. I applied in July, and they literally waited until the last minute (had to be sometime last week as I checked the first week of November and it was still awaiting approval). The wait was supposed to be 35 business days and I was well in advance of that obviously.

We've travelled with the things probably 25x since we've had them and never had an issue.

I am now Conditionally Approved but I have to have another interview. Nothing has changed in my life since I originally got the first one, not even a speeding ticket lol.

We are from Saskatchewan so it's a pain in the butt for the interview (I drove all the way 6 hrs to Winnipeg for mine) since we don't have any US pre-clearance airports here.

So now here I am with no valid Nexus card for my upcoming Disney trip in April, but luckily we are going to Victoria in January so I've slotted an interview in during the 3 hour layover we have in Calgary (but I still won't have it when I get on the plane that morning - my husband's expires in March so he'll be able to use the NEXUS line and I won't).

It sure is a great thing to have, and we find that it's just as valuable to have travelling WITHIN Canada as it is to travel to the US (especially our home airport where there's either no one or 150 people in line depending on the day).

Just wondering if it's normal to have to go through the interview process AGAIN? This is the first time I've renewed so I'm not sure, maybe it's normal.... just wondering if we'll have to make yet another trip somewhere for an interview between my husband's March expiry and April if they wait until the last minute to renew his... (he applied in August for his renewal).

Yes, it's normal. Not entirely sure how they determine who needs to go for an interview upon renewal, but I think it's random. When your husband renews he may or may not need an interview. He won't know until he applies for a renewal.

It sure is a great thing to have, and we find that it's just as valuable to have travelling WITHIN Canada as it is to travel to the US (especially our home airport where there's either no one or 150 people in line depending on the day).

Regina? Or is Saskatoon just as bad? I am always blown away that it is like that - either no one and walk through to the xray machines or 150 people in line and an hour wait to get through security - no real in between. Nexus cards have 100% been worthwhile for us as my DH travels several times a year and we don't have to anticipate whether that is going to be the day with an hour wait to get through the security line.

Hopefully your husbands come through no problem or you know enough ahead to be able to get an appt. This is good info to know as we'll need to re-apply in 2020 and I hadn't really thought about the re-application process.

Regina? Or is Saskatoon just as bad? I am always blown away that it is like that - either no one and walk through to the xray machines or 150 people in line and an hour wait to get through security - no real in between. Nexus cards have 100% been worthwhile for us as my DH travels several times a year and we don't have to anticipate whether that is going to be the day with an hour wait to get through the security line.

Hopefully your husbands come through no problem or you know enough ahead to be able to get an appt. This is good info to know as we'll need to re-apply in 2020 and I hadn't really thought about the re-application process.

RIGHT!?!?! - Regina.... how'd you know? :P Seriously though, it's almost more valuable to have it to get out of REGINA than anywhere else... and finally, in the last couple of years they've actually got a human there scanning your card... people used to get so ticked off at us for using the Nexus line we were entitled to because they didn't know what it was and there was never anyone to 'scan' you in for the first few years.

Funnily enough after I wrote this post up he went in to check his (and I went to FlyerTalk forums to see if there were threads, of course there were) and he was approved with no interview. I guess interviews are completely rando and I pulled the short straw. :oops: It was also completely coincidental that I was approved a couple of days past my birthday too, I guess it was just taking that long.

I also learned that there is a loophole where you can use your card for up to 6 months after expiry as long as you've begun the renewal process BEFORE your expiry date. My 6 months is literally the day we come home from Disney in May - but I should be approved long before then after my interview in January... and darn right I'm going to use it at YQR the morning we leave for Victoria. :yay:

Thanks for the update -- two out of the three of us have submitted renewals, still waiting. They say that they will send an email notification -- did you get one by any chance?
I'm not due until next year, but I'm thinking I should just submit that renewal now!

Yes, I had to have an interview as well. It’s part of the process. It took us about an hour for DD and me. We had the interview at Pearson. Some people were actually flying out on the same day and you could note it on the check in book.

I'm American and have a nexus card. I know with our passports they suggest you renew at least 6 mos prior, is it the same with the nexus card? I've had mine 2 years so I still have a bit but was curious when I saw this thread. I also hadn't realized there was potential for another interview.

I'm American and have a nexus card. I know with our passports they suggest you renew at least 6 mos prior, is it the same with the nexus card? I've had mine 2 years so I still have a bit but was curious when I saw this thread. I also hadn't realized there was potential for another interview.
I renewed it right after I renewed my passport. Since my passport has to be valid 6 months prior my return date from my travel, I actually renewed my passport and nexus card before its expiration to make sure they were both valid 6 months or more when I travelled. I wouldn’t want to risk being denied entry into a country after paying airfare and hotel in advance.

I renewed it right after I renewed my passport. Since my passport has to be valid 6 months prior my return date from my travel, I actually renewed my passport and nexus card before its expiration to make sure they were both valid 6 months or more when I travelled. I wouldn’t want to risk being denied entry into a country after paying airfare and hotel in advance.

Our passports are good for 10 years and I renewed mine last year, so that's not an issue because they'll never be due in the same year. So do you need to apply 6 months before your expiration date?

My passport was 5 years and I renewed it 6 months prior. Though my Nexus has not expired yet but it is linked to the passport so I have to renew it. Nexus is valid for 5 years. I am not sure if Nexus has to be valid 6 months prior or not. We had conditional approval and we had to attend an interview. Sorry that I could not be more helpful! My new passport expires in 10 years. I would probably renew my Nexus when it expires.

I applied for Nexus the day that I came home from my last trip Nov 4! I haven't heard from them about an interview yet.

I applied for Nexus the day that I came home from my last trip Nov 4! I haven't heard from them about an interview yet.

Check the status on the website every so often. You’re supposed to get an email that the status has been updated, but emails do go astray sometimes. Once it changes to conditionally approved you can book your interview appointment.

We had our interview on Nov 2, now we’re just waiting for Canada Post to cough up the cards. I’m getting worried they won’t arrive by Dec 5, in order to be used for our flights to MCO the next day. Figures, we’d have a mail strike when I actually have important mail coming...sigh...

Check the status on the website every so often. You’re supposed to get an email that the status has been updated, but emails do go astray sometimes. Once it changes to conditionally approved you can book your interview appointment.
Thanks for that advice, I just checked and it turns out I was conditionally approved but hadn't gotten an email notification. I scheduled an interview for late January, which was the earliest spot available. I won't have the card for my next trip in December but I should be good to go for April :banana:

So now here I am with no valid Nexus card for my upcoming Disney trip in April, but luckily we are going to Victoria in January so I've slotted an interview in during the 3 hour layover we have in Calgary (but I still won't have it when I get on the plane that morning - my husband's expires in March so he'll be able to use the NEXUS line and I won't).

As long as you applied before it expired, it is still valid while you wait for the interview.

Seems to be taking about 2.5-3 months based on my family's experience and what I've read on FlyerTalk.

None of my family got emails. I was the only one who has to have an interview - but I've moved countries twice since getting my first NEXUS, had (and dropped upon moving) a US TN visa, and a few other things, so was expecting it. I did always drop into the office at the airport to keep them up-to-date with my changes, so not worried, but totally understand the need for an interview.

I'm from Regina too and I keep meaning to get a Nexus card but it's a pain in the butt having to go to Calgary or Winnipeg for the interview. I hate showing up to the Regina Airport early in case their a line and then having to sit and wait with 2 hours and no where to eat until my flight leaves. The struggle is real. haha #firstworldproblems

As long as you applied before it expired, it is still valid while you wait for the interview.

Seems to be taking about 2.5-3 months based on my family's experience and what I've read on FlyerTalk.

None of my family got emails. I was the only one who has to have an interview - but I've moved countries twice since getting my first NEXUS, had (and dropped upon moving) a US TN visa, and a few other things, so was expecting it. I did always drop into the office at the airport to keep them up-to-date with my changes, so not worried, but totally understand the need for an interview.

I went to FlyerTalk (see Post #4) and they do have a lot of good info there, agreed SirDuff, I saw the part where it was valid for 6 mos after the application (which I did before it expired). The only problem is some of the American humans you may speak to don't know about this, but the machines do it seems. I have my interview scheduled for a Calgary connection in January so should still be OK on that trip and will be renewed 'for real' by the time I go to Disney in April.

And yes about "the emails" - you very likely will not get an email from them, I didn't either (nor did my husband). Go back to the website and keep looking to see when your status changes. As well, be sure to go to the NOTIFICATIONS section at the top once you are approved or conditionally approved, and you'll see the letter that they may or may not be mailing out (haven't got mine yet but Canada Post) - this is essential to bring with you to the interview if you have to schedule an interview on renewal (Conditionally Approved). We have friends who drove all the way to Winnipeg for their first interview who didn't bring the letter - doh!

So my husband and I have had NEXUS cards for the past 5 years and my expiry was just on Nov 13 on my birthday. I applied in July, and they literally waited until the last minute (had to be sometime last week as I checked the first week of November and it was still awaiting approval). The wait was supposed to be 35 business days and I was well in advance of that obviously.

We've travelled with the things probably 25x since we've had them and never had an issue.

I am now Conditionally Approved but I have to have another interview. Nothing has changed in my life since I originally got the first one, not even a speeding ticket lol.

We are from Saskatchewan so it's a pain in the butt for the interview (I drove all the way 6 hrs to Winnipeg for mine) since we don't have any US pre-clearance airports here.

Just wondering if it's normal to have to go through the interview process AGAIN? This is the first time I've renewed so I'm not sure, maybe it's normal.... just wondering if we'll have to make yet another trip somewhere for an interview between my husband's March expiry and April if they wait until the last minute to renew his... (he applied in August for his renewal).

Totally normal and all they do is update your photo. Takes 5 minutes. Also, it's totally random how they choose - we all had to renew ours this summer, I didn't have to do an interview, the other three did :)

My husband applied for his renewal at the start of summer and it took 3 months. I applied for the renewal for myself and my daughters and it also took 3 months. No interviews or photos for any of us

You’re supposed to get an email that the status has been updated, but emails do go astray sometimes.

DH and I just finished the renewal application yesterday and it explicitly said that there will be no e-mail notification - a status change to conditional will only appear in your dashboard. So I've had to put an alert in my calendar to check back since I know that I will totally forget that I even applied if I don't.

Both of ours also stated, upfront before even filling out the application, that an interview was required. I don't know if this is standard and only really happens if they tell you that they require it when you are conditionally approved or if it does mean that we will definitely have to do one. It did also give a little checklist at the end of the submission with "interview" as one of the as-yet-unchecked boxes. So I'm assuming we probably will have to go down for it. Ours expire in July of 2019 and we're planning a minimum of 3 trips to WDW between now and then so I figured it's best to do it early after what I've been reading here about the time it is taking especially if we have to do an interview/new photograph. We used it on our way back from Italy - took less than 5 minutes to get through customs. I also just used it between Toronto and Ottawa a few weeks ago and I don't think I'd have made my flight to Ottawa if I hadn't had it. Best $50 ever spent.

Best $50 ever spent.

It is for us, too. The event that pushed us to enrol was one 5:00 AM morning at CBP in Houston. We had just landed and the Captain came on and suggested we hustle to Customs because two wide body jets from South America had just landed as well. So there we stood, with about 300 people ahead of us watching people from the same flight we were on go to the Global Entry kiosks and were done and through in what seemed like seconds. Believe me, I'd have paid a lot more than $50 right there to go over there and avoid our long line. In all fairness to CBP they had every single window open, but it still took a long time. As it turned out, we made our connection that day but our NEXUS applications were the first order of business when we got home and we've never regretted doing it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!