Newsies' Quest for the Unicorn Pinata - A Julaugust TR - FINISHED 9/21!

What a lovely and relaxing morning!

Those pancakes!
giphy.gif

Always enjoy your updates! :)

They were delicious! Thank you so much for your comments, I really appreciate them!

I LOVE your trip reports! How lovely that you got to go back and visit so many awesome spots.

:welcome: Thank you so much for being here! I really appreciated getting to go back to my old work location and getting to revisit some of my favorite spots from my CP!

View attachment 260720 Here's blurry screen shot I got online of Haunted Mansion dress 2.0

Oh, wow. Just did some digging, everything looks GORGEOUS and I hope the Haunted Mansion dress makes it to Cherry Tree Lane in time for my next trip! Thanks again!

I've enjoyed reading your report so far! Thanks for taking the time to share!

:welcome: Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! I love writing, it's totally my pleasure!

YUM! That breakfast looks delicious and like something I must try on our next trip!

It's for sure a breakfast we plan on doing again next time!

That breakfast sounds muy delicioso! As much as your raving makes those pancakes sound so so good, that Mickey Waffle is calling my name even more. I'll definitely have to look into the Grand Flo Cafe OR WE'LL have to look into the Grand Flo Cafe when we return hehe

Yay for Disney Springs again! All your photo meanderings are so gorj. I'm so excited to hear about all your adventures on this day... THIS VERY DAY! :mickeyjum

That breakfast sounds muy delicioso! As much as your raving makes those pancakes sound so so good, that Mickey Waffle is calling my name even more. I'll definitely have to look into the Grand Flo Cafe OR WE'LL have to look into the Grand Flo Cafe when we return hehe

Yay for Disney Springs again! All your photo meanderings are so gorj. I'm so excited to hear about all your adventures on this day... THIS VERY DAY! :mickeyjum

It was SO GOOD and PERFECT for when we make our grand return and be all fancy together.

Thank you kindly sweetie. Personally, I'm on pins and needles waiting for YOUR latest thread to pop up and I can't wait for THAT adventure!

The Affordable Afternoon
August 1 cont.

While I waited for her to arrive, I decided to visit some stores.

enhance

There was this cute, organic store that I dubbed “Urban Outfitters Lite”. It had some cute decorations, and I was really tempted to buy this makeup bag/pencil case for school:

enhance

I decided to pass it up and I went into the Vera Bradley store, which was right next door. The backpacks in the window were seriously tempting, but they were also seriously expensive so that was a no-go.

I started looking at the ID holders and lanyards. Not only were they about $50 cheaper, but I really needed one for going back to school and the Vera Bradley ones are so in style with my sisters. I was on the verge of walking out, buuuuut then this wonderful partner-CM named Maddie struck up a conversation with me! She was so friendly and did her CP at the Contemporary, I really enjoyed talking to her. I was looking at the regular Vera stuff, but then she showed me the Disney Vera stuff and I was TOTALLY head over heels. Look at the Mickey carabiner!

enhance

It cost a little more than a non-Disney lanyard/ID holder, but it was still only $35. It was definitely worth the $35, I started using it that same day. And I really enjoyed speaking with Maddie. Honestly, nothing closes a sale faster for me than when I’m looking at something and a friendly, genuine associate makes a connection. Even when I was leaving Disney Springs that day, I saw Maddie getting off of her shift and she smiled and said “Hi again!”, which was so sweet.

While I was checking out, Aleksa arrived on the scene! I was so happy to see her and meet up after 8 months of not seeing each other. First, we went to Sephora. We popped in and popped out without buying anything, but I couldn’t visit Disney Springs and NOT visit my favorite Sephora location in the world.

enhance

Then Aleksa said she was getting hungry, so we decided to get some lunch.

enhance

enhance

I wasn’t that hungry, but I gladly used a QS credit to treat her to a burger and a snack credit for fries to us to share. The cashier was SO funny. Apparently, D-Luxe Burger had been trying to sell D-Luxe burger hats since the beginning of the week prior, but they hadn’t sold a single one and they were getting desperate. For a $20 hat, they would throw in a side of fries, AND apparently there was a special surprise but the first one to buy a hat. I had to decline politely, but he gave an excellent pitch. I really hope that he sold at least one that day!

Aleksa loved her burger. I thought the fries were weird. Some of them were weirdly tough and sweet, like they hadn’t been cooked all the way through. I wasn’t a fan and I honestly probably won’t visit D-Luxe Burger on a future trip. I’m a huge fan of Earl of Sandwich anyway!

I did take a photo of my cute little Vera bag while we were talking.

enhance

We had a really fun time at lunch catching up with each other! I got to hear a lot of boy drama and some future plans she had mapped out, and she showed me a ton of pics from her recent Disneyland trip. It was so good to catch up with her.

After lunch, we walked outside and saw two of my favorite stores: Alex and Ani and Francesca’s! We popped into Alex and Ani for a split second to see what they had in stock, but ultimately neither of us were interested and went to Francesca’s instead. Leks found a dress that she really loved and needed for an upcoming trip to Europe, so she bought that.

After Francesca’s, it was actually time for us to part ways. Mom, dad, Grace and I had agreed to meet back up at the hotel around 2:30 so that we could head to dinner at Universal. We said our goodbyes and I was on the next bus to the Poly, which came around almost as soon as I got to the stop.

A few minutes later I was back at the lovely Poly. I swapped out a fuel rod and went back to the room. The family was pretty much ready, so we headed out. We took dad’s truck, which we almost never do when we’re on vacation in WDW, but we didn’t feel like paying cab fare and didn’t know where exactly the cab would drop us off.

Getting there was relatively easy. It took us about 15 minutes and we found the entrance easily. We were able to park for free because I’m an Annual Passholder, but as soon as we paid… we ran into trouble.

Somehow or another, we accidentally ended up driving out of the parking lot and back onto the highway? A few minutes of confusion and frustration later, we made our way back over to the nice attendant who we got our parking pass from, came back inside… and somehow ended up in the prime parking lot?

We didn’t know how to get back down to the regular parking, so dad signaled for help and explained the situation. The nice young lady who helped us was like, “Don’t worry, it happens all the time”, and we were good!

We made our way out of the parking lot and through security (after being scoffed at by Universal security guards for having Magic Bands on!), then we were on City Walk, bound for the restaurant mom has been dying to try for months!

(Click here to continue!)

Last edited:
There was this cute, organic store that I dubbed “Urban Outfitters Lite”.

LOL I know exactly what store you're talking about! It was really cute, but I didn't know what we would do with any of the stuff in there.

Also, I'm seriously saddened about your experience at D-Luxe! We ate there and I honestly thought our fries were better than our burger!

I have the teal version of the WDW spirit jersey, and it's one of my FAVE shirts!!

OMG those pancakes look fantastic!!

LOL at those Universal security guards. They're just jealous because Disney is obviously better.

I am enjoying your report so far! I have a question about the fuel rods. Where can you switch them out? I remember doing a little bit of research last year, and they were only at like 1 specific shop in each other parks, and 1 at Disney Springs. Are they in more areas now? My husband and I want to invest in one for us to share, mainly because you can just switch them out for a fully charged one! We love that idea!

Can't wait to read more!

LOL I know exactly what store you're talking about! It was really cute, but I didn't know what we would do with any of the stuff in there.

Also, I'm seriously saddened about your experience at D-Luxe! We ate there and I honestly thought our fries were better than our burger!

Exactly! It was a cute store, but I didn't have a use for anything!

I've heard really good reviews about D-Luxe, and I really wanted to like it, so I'm glad you had a good experience. Maybe I'll return to it on a later trip with the family and see what they think!

I have the teal version of the WDW spirit jersey, and it's one of my FAVE shirts!!

OMG those pancakes look fantastic!!

LOL at those Universal security guards. They're just jealous because Disney is obviously better.

It's SUCH a nice shirt! Definitely one of my favorite souvenirs this trip!

They were so good, I want one right now.

I notice a lot of Universal TMs get salty whenever Disney is mentioned and now I'm wondering if it's part of some campy theme. Did you notice salty TMs when you went?

I am enjoying your report so far! I have a question about the fuel rods. Where can you switch them out? I remember doing a little bit of research last year, and they were only at like 1 specific shop in each other parks, and 1 at Disney Springs. Are they in more areas now? My husband and I want to invest in one for us to share, mainly because you can just switch them out for a fully charged one! We love that idea!

Can't wait to read more!

Thank you so much!

Yeah, there are a lot more fuel rod stations now than there were when they were first introduced. They actually JUST added a few new ones a few months ago! There's one in most deluxe resorts now, and there are about three in Magic Kingdom.

Thank you so much!

Yeah, there are a lot more fuel rod stations now than there were when they were first introduced. They actually JUST added a few new ones a few months ago! There's one in most deluxe resorts now, and there are about three in Magic Kingdom.

That's awesome! Thanks for the info!

That's awesome! Thanks for the info!

My pleasure! I totally recommend them, especially if you don't already have an external charger. When you're back at home or in your hotel room, you can charge the rods with a wall plug and use them again as well.

A little late but I am joining in!

Your dad sounds like mine, can't sleep and just wants to get going! haha

Glad your travelling went pretty quickly!

Club Level upgrade?! Nice!!

Adorable pics with Pluto and Tink!

Glad your family could meet up with you for a little- cute PP pics!

Nice dinner at Ohana!

Sounds like a great morning at MK! Glad you had a great breakfast at CP!

Love your pics from the Grand!

Sounds like a fun time at Disney Springs! I would not have felt embarassed at all at Cherry Tree Lane, you had every right to be trying on those dresses and you were there first so the other customers had to wait! I'm sure it was disappointing to walk out with nothing, but like you said it was probably for the best!

I really hope the spirit jerseys are still around in the fall..totally want one.

Sounds like a yummy breakfast at the GF cafe!

Nice solo time you got at Disney Springs before meeting up with your friend!

A little late but I am joining in!

Your dad sounds like mine, can't sleep and just wants to get going! haha

Glad your travelling went pretty quickly!

Club Level upgrade?! Nice!!

Adorable pics with Pluto and Tink!

Glad your family could meet up with you for a little- cute PP pics!

Nice dinner at Ohana!

Sounds like a great morning at MK! Glad you had a great breakfast at CP!

Love your pics from the Grand!

Sounds like a fun time at Disney Springs! I would not have felt embarassed at all at Cherry Tree Lane, you had every right to be trying on those dresses and you were there first so the other customers had to wait! I'm sure it was disappointing to walk out with nothing, but like you said it was probably for the best!

I really hope the spirit jerseys are still around in the fall..totally want one.

Sounds like a yummy breakfast at the GF cafe!

Nice solo time you got at Disney Springs before meeting up with your friend!

:welcome: So happy to have you here!

I had a lot of fun with Pluto and Tink, it really set the tone for the rest of the trip!

'Ohana is a family favorite, I'm so hungry right now and seriously craving the wings!

Definitely don't worry about the spirit jerseys, they seem to be really popular and I know they're going to be around so you can pick up yours in the Fall!

The GF cafe really surprised me and I hope we can go back.

Solo time at the Springs is always appreciated and it was great to meet up with Leks!

Thanks so much for you sweet comments, the next update is going to be posted soon!

The Tremendous Toothsome
August 1 cont.

DHNWyRoVwAIJUt_.jpg

It took us a good 10 minutes to walk through CityWalk and get to Toothsome Chocolate Factory. Once we were inside, we were told that we would only be waiting 10 minutes for dinner, which caught me totally off guard.

I had actually been hoping that we would have a wait of at least an hour. That would have given me enough time to go into Universal with my AP real quick, grab a souvenir with Marge Simpson on it, and maybe even meet her since she and Homer tend to meet really close to the front of the park now. Backstory for those of you who didn’t read my PTR: Marge (after Marge Simpson) is a nickname that my sorority sisters gave to me when I crossed into the sisterhood. I was really excited to go to Universal Studios this trip because it’s Simpsons central and Springfield is full of Simpsons merchandise. Of course, plans change, so I just told everyone I wanted to stop by the Universal Store on our way out.

I took some pretty photos of the chocolate and bakery cases while we waited. The store/waiting area was really crowded, but all of the Team Members were really friendly.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

I was DYING to get my hands on those birthday cake marshmallows and a chocolate bar, but I ultimately had the strength to walk away when we were finished with our meal.

Speaking of our meal, we were seated promptly and given menus so that we could start making our selections and read a little bit about the “backstory” of the restaurant. Here’s a photo of that backstory:

enhance

My understanding of the story is that Penelope Toothsome, the owner of Toothsome’s Chocolate Emporium, built this restaurant so that her parents could find her after their mysterious disappearance? Or something?

I’m someone who really appreciates immersive theming and brand-new stories, even in venues like restaurants where you’re only there for an extremely limited timeframe. My only complaint with the design and execution of the theming here is that the backstory may just be a bit too involved for a standalone restaurant. Like, now I want to know if Penelope will ever find her parents. But because this is a restaurant and NOT the latest Netflix original series, we probably will never know what happens.

Also, it’s not explained in the menu, but Jacques is her friend who is a robot. The two of them actually walk around the restaurant in a character dining-esque experience. I was extremely disappointed when we left the restaurant without having been visited by them. In the hour and a half we were there, the two did not even walk into the general direction of where we were seated. Because they didn’t come around to us, I do not have photos of them. :worried:

Our waitress came along quickly and I really regret the fact that I forgot her name because she was a real sweetheart! She gave us terrific suggestions and routinely checked on us without hovering.

We started off with two appetizers: the black and tan onion rings and the warm almond chocolate bread.

enhance

The onion rings came with a cocoa dusted ranch dipping sauce. The rings were crispy and delicious, and the cocoa dusted ranch was unique and enjoyable. The warm almond chocolate bread was fantastic. The bread itself had a thoroughly chocolatey dough, and we were surprised to find actual pieces of chocolate in the bread! It was definitely different and so, so yummy.

For dinner, I had the bacon cheeseburger (I’ll admit this isn’t my best photo work, the lighting is dark in Toothsome).

enhance

The humble cheeseburger is my go-to meal at home, so I try not to order them while I’m on vacation. But a really good burger sounded really good… and this was a REALLY good burger! It was a standard burger with crispy bacon and a nice, toasted brioche bun. It kind of reminded me of the glam burgers at Cheesecake Factory (my all-time favorite chain). Everyone else seemed to enjoy their meals as well.

For dessert, I knew I had to have one of the shakes. I mean, the WHOLE HYPE surrounding this restaurant was built on the massive shakes! I call overloaded milkshakes “viral shakes” since they became popular through viral Facebook videos, artsy Instagram posts, and foodie Twitter accounts. Despite living in NYC, home of the “viral shake”, I hadn’t tried one before this night and I was caught between the brownie shake and the strawberry cheesecake shake.

Eventually, I decided that the brownie shake just was NOT big enough for my first overloaded milkshake experience. Say hello to the strawberry cheesecake shake. Unfortunately dessert is where my camera died, so these are iPhone pics.

DHNWyRmUAAAJ-Ps.jpg

The shake starts off with a base of SOUR CREAM ice cream, mixed with graham crackers, and strawberry syrup. It’s topped with whipped cream, graham cracker crumbles, a chocolate-dipped strawberry, and… you guessed it, a slice of cheesecake.

I am so happy that I decided to take a chance on the strawberry cheesecake shake. As much as I like chocolate, this was totally different than anything I’ve ever eaten in my life. The ice cream itself was such a unique flavor, and the cheesecake and strawberry sauce really complimented the “tang” of it. The cheesecake slice and the chocolate strawberry weren’t half bad either!

Mom and Grace ordered the s’mores sundae. I’m obsessed with s’mores and snagged a few bites for myself and it was wonderful. It was more or less a bowl of chocolate ice cream with marshmallow fluff and some graham crackers, but the fact that they took a blow torch to the fluff to make it “toasted” was a fun detail that made a big difference.

DHNWyRnVwAIImWl.jpg

The final verdict on Toothsome is that it’s a unique dining experience with some pretty tasty dishes. It reminded me of one of my favorite restaurants in New York City, Max Brenner. MB is a 14th street eatery that tries to incorporate chocolate into each dish for a signature dining experience that you can’t find anywhere else. Toothsome takes the concept of Max Brenner and adds an immersive steampunk aesthetic with a backstory and characters to create the type of restaurant you can only find at Universal. The vast menu doesn’t hurt—if you’re looking for an out-of-this world meal that you can’t find anywhere else, you’re in the right place. But if you want a simple burger and a plain ice cream sundae, that’s fine as well here.

Highly recommended, even if the wait exceeds an hour or two. They’ll text you when the table is ready and it’ll give you enough time to walk around CityWalk or hop into a park for a bit.

After our dinner, we made our way back to the parking lot with a few stops along the way. Mom and dad stopped in the Margaritaville gift shop to look at things first. Then we stopped at the Universal Store to get some souvenirs. They didn’t have a lot of Marge-only items, which was disappointing. I ended up with a charm of her Face and a tube of Simpsons figurines that included her. Grace got the unicorn from Despicable Me. Then it was time to say goodbye to Toothsome and head back to the WDW bubble.

While we were in the car ride, I decided to make some FP+ for the evening. We were making FABULOUS time, and we still had hours before MK closed. After refreshing MDE a few times, I settled on meeting Mickey Mouse, Haunted Mansion, and Splash Mountain.

Parking at the Polynesian was a disaster, we ended up really far away from the GCH after a 10 minutes search. I stopped at the room for a hot second, then swapped fuel rods at Boutiki again and headed out for what would turn out to be a fabulous night at Magic Kingdom!

(Click here to continue!)

Last edited:
Toothsome looks so good! I think we will be stopping there for dessert after visiting Universal (the parks close at 7pm that day)! But I don't know if I can only have 1 dessert!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter