News Round Up 2020

Just an FYI to anyone not in the deep waters of the Rise of the Resistance Boarding Group tracking thread but with a trip coming up, the return time after your Boarding Group is called has been changed from 2 hours to only 1 hour - this will impact plans if people were going to park hop or return to hotel to rest, etc

Edit:. Apparently the time can vary from 1 to 2 hours - you will be notified of your return window when your BG is called

Thanks for posting. I haven’t been reading the bg thread much. One hour is too short, unless they want to call a bg one hour before park close.

I know not Disney related but things like today’s tragic event that shocked the sports world make you think about the little things and what we may take for granted. I sincerely hope none of you have to go through something like that for a family member. I also appreciate the community we have here and throughout social media of disney fans. Let’s all remember to not take things in life for granted because it could be gone tomorrow. This community and Disney are things we should be grateful for.

I know not Disney related but things like today’s tragic event that shocked the sports world make you think about the little things and what we may take for granted. I sincerely hope none of you have to go through something like that for a family member. I also appreciate the community we have here and throughout social media of disney fans. Let’s all remember to not take things in life for granted because it could be gone tomorrow. This community and Disney are things we should be grateful for.

And makes you appreciate the things you have - and makes you want to tell those in your life that you appreciate them and care for them

So to you @rteetz and all those in this thread I appreciate you all and the impact you have had on my life

Grateful every day that I found this community. Disney planning basically saved me in 2015 after I lost my mother. Much love to my DIS squad!

Interesting. The BG are a good idea. I just don’t like that they’re all gone in less than 5 min and you’re not guaranteed to get on.

yeah, when they were lasting 10-15 minutes I thought it was fine as all you really had to do was get there prior to park opening and you would get a "guaranteed" BG (that if not called you would get compesation at least) but now that they are going in 60 seconds (literally gone at 7:01 the past few days as they have lowered the number of guaranteed BGs) it becomes more stressful as one small IT hitch and you are in trouble. Even though mostly likely you would still get a back-up BG that would get called most days

I just don't know of a better system at this point - it is a great ride with super high demand and people are going to put in the effort to get on it. Even with the negatives I think this is better than just an 8 hour long standard queue that you are stuck in all day unless you get there at like 2am

yeah, when they were lasting 10-15 minutes I thought it was fine as all you really had to do was get there prior to park opening and you would get a "guaranteed" BG (that if not called you would get compesation at least) but now that they are going in 60 seconds (literally gone at 7:01 the past few days as they have lowered the number of guaranteed BGs) it becomes more stressful as one small IT hitch and you are in trouble. Even though mostly likely you would still get a back-up BG that would get called most days

I just don't know of a better system at this point - it is a great ride with super high demand and people are going to put in the effort to get on it. Even with the negatives I think this is better than just an 8 hour long standard queue that you are stuck in all day unless you get there at like 2am
If they really wanted to fix it... When you swipe in to HS they drop your name in a random computer pot. Every hour the computer randomly draws a certain number of names and offers 4 boarding passes. If you have more than 4 people in your group, you can ask for more. If you have less than 4, you have the option of gifting them to some random people or just turning them back in for the people with larger parties. If you turn them in, you get an Multi-experience Pass good for anything else in the park for the number you turned in. If they catch you "selling" them, you lose out. Everyone who goes once is eliminated from the pot on ride check in, whether your name was called or you went as part of someone else's party. Every hour they redraw. It's drawn an hour ahead, so you have time to get back or finish an ADR or other FP+. While those arriving earliest in the a.m. will get the most chances in the day, there really wouldn't be a huge incentive to get there within the first 5 minutes. Some incentive to get there in the first 2 hours or so, having 6 hourly chances vs. 8 hourly chances isn't too big a difference.

Interesting. The BG are a good idea. I just don’t like that they’re all gone in less than 5 min and you’re not guaranteed to get on.
Are they just being cautious with capacity for the ride? Shocking to me that a ride fills up for the DAY in minutes just from people that are there before rope drop but a ride like MFSR can operate all day without FP and have 60-70 minute wait most times of day.

I mean .. if EVERY slot of the ride fills up in minutes from people just PHYSICALLY there, I cant see this ride ever being in FP+ anytime soon. At least this way, you have a shot ---

I guess I dont know a better solution either besides an optional paid event to spread out the demand. This is essentially the old paper fastpass days on steroids (since there is no standby), but at least you dont have to sprint to the ride entrance to grab a ticket. I just dont like potentially going there super early and not getting in.

Maybe spread out the boarding group reservations? Where only some of them are available at 7:00 am ... and they just make more available every hour after .. giving people who just cant or dont want to come early a shot?

Maybe another solution is to make Runaway Railway a boarding group ride -- thus forcing you to pick one or the other (but that would stink too, since then you would have NO option to do both on the same day.)

My main gripe is that it just doesnt fit well into the whole FP+. It is the exact opposite and worse than the old paper FP days.

I mean .. Disney seems to be missing an opportunity here. This craziness would mean sellouts of a Star Wars Early Morning magic!

If they really wanted to fix it... When you swipe in to HS they drop your name in a random computer pot. Every hour the computer randomly draws a certain number of names and offers 4 boarding passes. If you have more than 4 people in your group, you can ask for more. If you have less than 4, you have the option of gifting them to some random people or just turning them back in for the people with larger parties. If you turn them in, you get an Multi-experience Pass good for anything else in the park for the number you turned in. If they catch you "selling" them, you lose out. Everyone who goes once is eliminated from the pot on ride check in, whether your name was called or you went as part of someone else's party. Every hour they redraw. It's drawn an hour ahead, so you have time to get back or finish an ADR or other FP+. While those arriving earliest in the a.m. will get the most chances in the day, there really wouldn't be a huge incentive to get there within the first 5 minutes. Some incentive to get there in the first 2 hours or so, having 6 hourly chances vs. 8 hourly chances isn't too big a difference.
Neat idea, but I don't see disney IT making that one happen.

I think a similar solution that might be easier to pull off, is to retain the first set of boarding groups process as is. Then the back up boarding groups assigned randomly those entered into the the park that day similar to the above. Or make the back up boarding groups only available as the 4th or 5th fast pass in a day, and make it a "fastpass" to a boarding group.

Ya .. I think some sort of lottery system would be better. They just probably dont have the tech to do it

I do like the concept of getting some sort of bonus if you dont get in a boarding group though. Makes showing up and not getting in feel not worthless.

BUt whatever the system, it will be quickly figured out and GAMED. For example, your lottery system gives advantage to LARGE groups (as they get more entries into the lottery), but also hurts large groups, because they probably wont be able to ride together.

I think the difference between RotR and MFSR is enormous. RotR appears to have a linear story/theme that is coupled directly together (no spoilers). MFSR has been done before, in essence, so the baseline of the technology is solid. RotR has so much technology wrapped into it that, I feel, it is still somewhat in technical rehearsal. I'll go back to my statement(s) many months before SWGE opened at WDW, Disney was put between a rock and hard place. They met their deadline of opening RotR after the delays, but probably knew that uptime would be an immediate concern. That is the risk of the guests inherit by choosing to attempt to go early on this complex attraction (as I see it).

May or may not be related to WDW’s monorails, but Bombardier, the company that made the current monorails, is really hurting in the rail market: (and why would a company place an order for new monorails with them?)
https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1ZN24ZBombardier (BBDb.TO) has approached France's Alstom (ALSO.PA) and Japan's Hitachi (6501.T) to find a merger partner for its rail business as it struggles to contain costs that have eaten into margins,

It has been reviewing several rail merger scenarios in recent months which also involved a possible deal with Germany's Siemens (SIEGn.DE) and a Chinese counterpart, but these options failed to gain traction, one of the sources said.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter