News Round Up 2020

No suprise that they are having issues with the reservation system since Disney got rid of most of there true in house IT and outsourced most of it to Tata Consultancy after the my disney exeperience and magic band was all done. I am sure alot of the original code knowledge is lost right now and are having to be rediscovered.
Doing that blew my mind, if you're trying to be truly innovative you keep that in house. It would be like outsourcing all of the imagineers. If it didn't catch up to them yet, it certainly is now.

Doing that blew my mind, if you're trying to be truly innovative you keep that in house. It would be like outsourcing all of the imagineers. If it didn't catch up to them yet, it certainly is now.
This seems to be a myopic issue with most businesses: They see IT as an expense to contain rather than an investment in their core business. I think the success of the MBs and MDE have proven that investment in IT and its infrastructure can pay big dividends. I did hear that there was a lot wasted and what was delivered was disappointing compared to the promises made.

That seems to echo what we've seen with various attractions. SWGE was planned to be much more immersive; crooked Eiffel Towers and bad CG in Soarin' and the scaling back of Figment all come to mind. In CS, we have a motto, under promise and over deliver. Disney could apply that in multiple areas, including IT.

This seems to be a myopic issue with most businesses: They see IT as an expense to contain rather than an investment in their core business. I think the success of the MBs and MDE have proven that investment in IT and its infrastructure can pay big dividends. I did hear that there was a lot wasted and what was delivered was disappointing compared to the promises made.

That seems to echo what we've seen with various attractions. SWGE was planned to be much more immersive; crooked Eiffel Towers and bad CG in Soarin' and the scaling back of Figment all come to mind. In CS, we have a motto, under promise and over deliver. Disney could apply that in multiple areas, including IT.

This was the exact same problem as during the magic band roll out. Disney is not even a top 100 tech company....top 1000? Maybe. So anyone looking for a career in IT does not even remotely consider Disney in that search.

I don't follow Universal stuff like I do here- anyone know a good place/vlog/blob to find out how it's going? Are there long waits for rides? Are you even allowed to stand in lines as regular stand by?
Resort experiences?
Just curious!

I just did read a post that said the virtual system kept crashing and a lot of the rides only allowed for virtual queues, no stand-by.

This sounds like it will be a mess when Disney attempts! :D

I don't follow Universal stuff like I do here- anyone know a good place/vlog/blob to find out how it's going? Are there long waits for rides? Are you even allowed to stand in lines as regular stand by?
Resort experiences?
Just curious!

I just did read a post that said the virtual system kept crashing and a lot of the rides only allowed for virtual queues, no stand-by.

This sounds like it will be a mess when Disney attempts! :D

Do you mean for following along today or reviews of how the passholders preview days went?

Interesting article about how the NBA plan came together:

I didn't realize Bob Iger and Chris Paul (head of the players association) had an existing mentoring relationship

Also this quote from Iger "It's just sort of coincidental. I've got this relationship with Chris, I have this relationship with Adam, and I happen to have run the Walt Disney Company for a while. So it all kind of comes together in trying to figure out how we get the NBA back."

I like how he says "I happen to have run the Walt Disney Company for a while" like I would say "I happen to have some extra glue sticks"
I completely forgot about the Chris Paul/Bob Iger relationship. He talked about it on Bill Simmons' podcast back in early February - should've remembered about that because it's certainly very relevant. Also interesting in the article is that he and Adam Silver were "compar[ing] notes" on Covid back when he was still CEO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bret isn’t someone I would exactly recommend to someone not familiar with Universal.
Yeah, just the one I saw with the most tweets so far - definitely not an official source or major outlet or anything

I know a little about Universal but haven't been there in years.
Mostly just following to see how it's going for everyone, seeing how virtual queue is working, etc. Mostly just out of curiosity and it's Friday so I need something to do while I'm working. ;)

I know a little about Universal but haven't been there in years.
Mostly just following to see how it's going for everyone, seeing how virtual queue is working, etc. Mostly just out of curiosity and it's Friday so I need something to do while I'm working. ;)
I've been watching streams and posts for a few days. The virtual Q definitely has some kinks which was a little surprising since they've been using a virtual Q for some rides for a couple of years. I predict most rides will go back to regular lines very soon. The other issue that I've seen is restaurants. It's very hard to get into one, even quick service. Advice to bring your own food and eat in one of the mask free zones (which seem to be working really well).

So this is one person I follow on Twitter who is there today/now. Here are a few tweets but he has more if you want to check them out.

Laughing Place also appears to be there

This doesnt suprise me that when it was AP specific that it was crazy now that anyone can get in people are staying away. I have been a AP member as well and I can see why some cast members have a specific nickname for Passholders that might be a bit to much. The Ebay Sellers and those specific Passholders that earn that nickname seem to care verry little about the people around them, almost like they feel privileged. It falls in line with stories I have heard about on average Passholders who eat at restaurants that may or may not have the Tables of Wonderland card as well tend to be worse tippers then the average theme park goer. I can understand how the theme parks can be crazy expensive and the benifits of finding discounts when you can but still the average cast member doesnt care you come 5 times year or once a week if your local or what not, they just want to give you a magical moment and get compensated in like for the good service.

I'm curious just to see how the crowd levels are beyond the "want to be there" first few days.
Also curious just to see how masks and social distancing work once things get more crowded.

I've been watching streams and posts for a few days. The virtual Q definitely has some kinks which was a little surprising since they've been using a virtual Q for some rides for a couple of years. I predict most rides will go back to regular lines very soon. The other issue that I've seen is restaurants. It's very hard to get into one, even quick service. Advice to bring your own food and eat in one of the mask free zones (which seem to be working really well).

I'm not worried for our trip, but if we were going now this might be an issue. We stay on-site and don't order food to our hotel (nor have room really to store it).

Hopefully they can work that out!

I'm not worried for our trip, but if we were going now this might be an issue. We stay on-site and don't order food to our hotel (nor have room really to store it).

Hopefully they can work that out!
I'm wondering how food will go today since Florida entered phase 2 today. Hopefully they've adjusted their capacity limits inside now.

By July, Florida will most likely be in phase 3. Certain places will look well lets be nice and say behind the curve if they only allow 20% capacity in restaurants.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter