News Round Up 2020

Someone will buy them out of bankruptcy if it comes to that. The industry is so consolidated that a number of cities would have effectively no multiplexes without AMC. Whenever things are normal again, whether in 2021 or 2024, AMC will continue to make sense as a business. Until then they need an owner with cash and patience and landlords with even more patience. But it’s not like a lot of those landlords have better options for that real estate right now, as retail chains and restaurants close stores left and right.

I think we are seeing the real reason Disney didn't want to open up until mid-July, unlike their competitors. They had these sports agreements in progress and they had to sort them out before they opened up the parks. They couldn't have had the parks/resorts running and then, after the fact, start shifting around reservations.

I am sure a lot of the "cancelling/moving" of people's existing hotel reservations for July/August has less to do with COVID capacity limits and more about trying to accommodate all these teams.

Which .. is great for Disney ... being able to make lemonade out of lemons after being closed for 4 months, but I am sure there will be a lot of people unhappy if they get bumped from a reservation they've had for a long time to make way for a sports team. Unfortunately, anyone who isn't a huge sports fan and feels that Disney was valuing the sports teams over the regular guests, will probably be upset by this. It is what it is -- I'm not sure what the agreements mount to, but definitely seems like a win for Disney (and all its affiliates- ABC, ESPN,etc.)

If this brings some much-needed cashflow to Disney and Disney parks, then this is probably better than the parks trying to run at low capacity all summer long (since the hotels would probably be empty anyway .. as a lot of regular guests will just be avoiding Florida most of the summer).

”So sorry your stay at Disney’s Coronado Springs was cancelled, you’ve been upgraded to a park view at the Grand a Floridian.” Problem solved via Disney Pixie Dust. Also, more likely not the a Grand, but you get the intention,

Reservations, temp screenings and masks required ... looks to just be the norm for ANY major theme park in the US.

I just wonder though who will be the first to stop having it required (or just not enforce the requirement heavily enough that it essentially become not required) ... and WHEN that would be?

Well, while a much smaller theme park than others, Legoland Florida opened this week with no mask requirement. They were encouraged and available, but not required.

It could be the GF, and people (on these boards) will still complain/be upset. 🙄

I wouldn't complain or be actually upset, but I would be a bit bummed to get bumped out of the resort we chose for numerous reasons to be put into the one of the resorts we'd be least likely to choose on our own. We just don't hold Grand Floridian in the same high regard that some other people do. :)

I wouldn't complain or be actually upset, but I would be a bit bummed to get bumped out of the resort we chose for numerous reasons to be put into the one of the resorts we'd be least likely to choose on our own. We just don't hold Grand Floridian in the same high regard that some other people do. :)

While I can’t say that I would *choose* to stay there either, I would never be disappointed to try a new resort, particularly the WDW flagship resort.

My previous comment may have been a *little* harsh...it was pre-coffee. I know a lot of WDW visitors put a lot of thought into choosing where they are going to stay, and change always has some level of disruption. I just don’t want to see the “outrage” of people who are being moved, and likely to much nicer accommodations.

Ehh each resort has its own feel. I was planning to Stay at the Corronado in the Tower at least one day of my next visit to get a feel of it so even though I love the Grand Floridian I would be a bit disappointed if I got bumped. In saying that I am pretty sure I am going to be Disapointed durring my Poly Stay first week of October when they probably will not have Trader Sams inside open. Sure I expect them to have the outside seating still open but there is nothing like a UH-Oha or Hippo Poto Mai Tai from the inside bar, the show and ambiance at least justifies the drink costs.

Six Flags Fiesta Texas and Six Flags Over Texas announce reopening dates
- Six Flags Fiesta Texas will operate at reduced attendance levels and in preview mode June 19-21. During this preview phase, the park will only be open to Members and Season Pass Holders, with White Water Bay waterpark also available beginning June 20. The parks will then gradually increase attendance levels and open to all guests on June 22
- Six Flags Over Texas announced plans to reopen the waterpark on June 18, 2020 and the theme park on June 19, 2020.

https://thrillgeek.com/2020/06/six-...3k2rJYtGCReB5fo2QWsqQJPppzEvZm-0vgJcnb6DUtuqc

I know a lot of WDW visitors put a lot of thought into choosing where they are going to stay, and change always has some level of disruption. I just don’t want to see the “outrage” of people who are being moved, and likely to much nicer accommodations.

I totally agree. :) This is a completely unprecedented situation and there's very little Disney can do right now that would outrage me. They're trying their best like the rest of us while also trying to remain profitable. In my opinion if the changes outrage someone, it's probably best for them to wait it out and go back when things are more normal, if possible. Vacations aren't much fun if you're angry about them before even leaving home! :)

well, as I recall hearing one person shout to another years ago when in the mass of humanity trying to get paper Fastpasses for Toy Story Mania "This isn't a vacation, it's a trip to Disney!"

I don't know what a Disney vacation is going to be like without crowds.

Heck, I don't know HOW a Disney vacation is going to be like without crowds.

It's glorious! (speaking about Irma)

But it doesn't translate always into low wait times; depended on what capacity level they were using. Space Mountain was one where they shut off the other side which made the wait long even with a FP. But most were very low wait times. That experience was during Irma though so with virtual queues, no FP, no meet and greets, etc to divert attention away the crowds may be low (assumption) but the actual trip right when they open could be quite a stark contrast to what can happen during a hurricane situation especially adding on distancing requirements and visuals and practicality of masks.

I mean .. we have all wanted lower crowds at Disney -- shame THIS is how it happens.

Will Disney have pretty low demand for at least the rest of 2020? Or once more and more of these tourist places open back up will people be rushing back to the normal? What do these places do when/if demand is greater than their limited capacity? How soon do they open that up? Weeks? Months? Next year?

Maybe things will bounce back faster than we imagine: locally, as every week passes, you definitely feel that more and more people are getting back to normal. People, (especially younger ones) are going out and about, not wearing masks (unless required) and such. I personally had a "normal" weekend last weekend. Went out to a few stores, ate INSIDE a restaurant, went to a church building, hung out with family for a birthday party, etc. The "fear" is definitely not there as much anymore that will eventually trickle down into things like theme parks -- just not sure how fast.

Maybe things will bounce back faster than we imagine: locally, as every week passes, you definitely feel that more and more people are getting back to normal. People, (especially younger ones) are going out and about, not wearing masks (unless required) and such. I personally had a "normal" weekend last weekend. Went out to a few stores, ate INSIDE a restaurant, went to a church building, hung out with family for a birthday party, etc. The "fear" is definitely not there as much anymore that will eventually trickle down into things like theme parks -- just not sure how fast.
It really depends on where we live. For us stores are open but VERY few are going in. Restaurants, churches, being with family or any groups of more than 5 people are still not allowed until at least Jun 30th here. Still very far from 'normal' in Ontario, Canada.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!