News Round Up 2020

I think to the contrary, my kid can go all night in the parks. Doesn't hurt my feelings much that they close things before midnight. I think they see that revenue drops substantially after 9pm anyway.
Certainly think it will get twisted at some point and the after hours parties will become the replacement for Extra magic hours somehow.
I do think one park should be staying open later per evening even it's only for the benefit for onsite lodging guests.

Remember the days when onsite guests could enter the park early EVERY single day?

For our February trip, there are at least 3 after hours events in the 8 days, we are there. Two moonlight magic dvc events, one at MK and one at AK, and Villains after hours at MK.
Hours mean less to me, if they are operating all the attractions at full capacity. Nothing is more discouraging than seeing rides loading at 50%

FESTIVAL OF THE ARTS MEDIA DAY INFO

just an heads up that there is a media day for the Festival of the Arts today. I am traveling today so not sure how often I will get to post things here, so keep track of the DIS on twitter and stuff for big updates.

They have already posted that they are seeing/saw a preview of the new Canada Film and the new Awesome Planet film

and a lot of the stuff currently being built is marketed as being complete by the 50th - so while I am sure actual openings will be staggered I think a lot of people have in their head that "construction will finally be done" 9even if not true as EPCOT will still be a construction zone) and for the 50th we will have the new Guardians ride, and Tron, and Ratatouille, etc.

Not sure if a lot of people plan a trip around 1 attraction but they can mentally allocate a number of new things to an event and lump it together as "for the 50th"
Probably most are excited about the new attractions coming for the 50th rather than the "50th" itself. Since they haven't announced any opening dates yet (nor would we expect them too) . .i think a lot of people may just book to gamble on those openings and just try and get as much in as possible.

I usually plan my trips to get the most bang for the new stuff opening. Like I "waited" until Nov. 2018 after not having been since March of 2017 to see Toy Story Land AND Pandora that were both "new to me". I was also picking that time to get an AP to catch an the opening of SWGE .. that gamble paid off! (Sorta - since it was only half open)

I'm not sure if the timing will work out for Ratatouille, but a trip planned in June could mean hitting up THREE new ride attractions (RotR, MMRR, and MAYBE Ratoutille) (and some new shows like Lightning McQueen and Beauty and the Beast sing along). There is so much new at DHS despite being there in August of 2019 for the SWGE opening, that I may need two days there!

So .. not sure when I would want to plan a 2021 trip to catch the other new attractions and have A LOT of Epcot "done" .. Spring? Summer? Fall? Winter?

Probably most are excited about the new attractions coming for the 50th rather than the "50th" itself. Since they haven't announced any opening dates yet (nor would we expect them too) . .i think a lot of people may just book to gamble on those openings and just try and get as much in as possible.

I usually plan my trips to get the most bang for the new stuff opening. Like I "waited" until Nov. 2018 after not having been since March of 2017 to see Toy Story Land AND Pandora that were both "new to me". I was also picking that time to get an AP to catch an the opening of SWGE .. that gamble paid off! (Sorta - since it was only half open)

I'm not sure if the timing will work out for Ratatouille, but a trip planned in June could mean hitting up THREE new ride attractions (RotR, MMRR, and MAYBE Ratoutille) (and some new shows like Lightning McQueen and Beauty and the Beast sing along). There is so much new at DHS despite being there in August of 2019 for the SWGE opening, that I may need two days there!

So .. not sure when I would want to plan a 2021 trip to catch the other new attractions and have A LOT of Epcot "done" .. Spring? Summer? Fall? Winter?

My "plan" is to have sort of a "year of Disney" and get APs with a first trip the end of August 2021 then (hopefully) be there for the actual 50th and then have 1 or 2 trips in the first half of 2022. Now, I suspect all of the EPCOT Construction still won't be done but I think across that year I should get in a lot of the new stuff. But we shall see

and a lot of the stuff currently being built is marketed as being complete by the 50th - so while I am sure actual openings will be staggered I think a lot of people have in their head that "construction will finally be done" 9even if not true as EPCOT will still be a construction zone) and for the 50th we will have the new Guardians ride, and Tron, and Ratatouille, etc.

Not sure if a lot of people plan a trip around 1 attraction but they can mentally allocate a number of new things to an event and lump it together as "for the 50th"
I think this will be a big test for WDW. They got bit by the partial opening of SWGE. Not having the full land open hurt early attendance. I can see the same happening for the parks in general. While I do expect many to be there for the 50th, some if not alot will wait until they get the most bang for their buck for most of the rides to be completed and open. So some may just wait til Tron, Rat, MMRR, GoTG are fully open. The fact that Disney is okay with shutting down SSE and that that refurb will miss both 50th WDW and 40th EPCOT celebration tells me they expect low audiences in EPCOT for a bit.

I think this will be a big test for WDW. They got bit by the partial opening of SWGE. Not having the full land open hurt early attendance. I can see the same happening for the parks in general. While I do expect many to be there for the 50th, some if not alot will wait until they get the most bang for their buck for most of the rides to be completed and open. So some may just wait til Tron, Rat, MMRR, GoTG are fully open. The fact that Disney is okay with shutting down SSE and that that refurb will miss both 50th WDW and 40th EPCOT celebration tells me they expect low audiences in EPCOT for a bit.

If Rat opens this summer and GoTG by next summer, I don't think having SE closed will hurt attendance in 2021 and beyond at all.

If Rat opens this summer and GoTG by next summer, I don't think having SE closed will hurt attendance in 2021 and beyond at all.
Agreed. Those two rides will be a major draw for the park.

Even this year, it seems like disney must be seeing some improvement in bookings. The discounts they released were no where near as expansive as last year. Last year there was a sense of desperation in the wide spread availability of their offers.

Going to disagree here.
First - SSE is a classic draw and eats crowds which helps move other areas
Second - The spine renovation will be ongoing until 2023 per at least one insider I trust, so the park will still be a logistical mess
Third - I also don't know that folks will want to go to EPCOT for the 40th if the whole show isn't completed yet.

I am there as a matter of fact. I won't get to WDW again until long after 2023 probably, so I can get the most effect for my $$$$$. I am not a huge SW fan, so I can wait to see SWGE that long as well.

Going to disagree here.
Second - The spine renovation will be ongoing until 2023 per at least one insider I trust, so the park will still be a logistical mess
Third - I also don't know that folks will want to go to EPCOT for the 40th if the whole show isn't completed yet.

I am there as a matter of fact. I won't get to WDW again until long after 2023 probably, so I can get the most effect for my $$$$$. I am not a huge SW fan, so I can wait to see SWGE that long as well.

As someone going in 2021 and sort of sad I may have to deal with 50th Anniversary crowds even as early as May, I can only hope you are right!

My "plan" is to have sort of a "year of Disney" and get APs with a first trip the end of August 2021 then (hopefully) be there for the actual 50th and then have 1 or 2 trips in the first half of 2022. Now, I suspect all of the EPCOT Construction still won't be done but I think across that year I should get in a lot of the new stuff. But we shall see
That's the key .. I would be partial to doing that as well (it worked well for us for three trips (including a AP sneak preview of SWGE) Nov. 2018 - Nov. 2019) - Just not sure when to start that "year"

I've been tempted to do that for 2020-2021, but I don't think enough new will be open yet in early 2021. *shrug*

I would also suspect that Disney (knowing people will do this for the anniversary year .. and wanting to control crowds) will raise the APs again. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Platinums AP at around $1500 by the time summer of 2021 rolls around.

I don't know if this has been mentioned already but the other day at DHS I stopped to use the new restrooms in Grand Ave and I noticed behind it at what I think is the new Mickey shorts theater, the doors were open and people were going inside. There was too much shrubbery to see well but I saw a wall (maybe a door?) that had a pattern matching the new mickey design lanterns outside the Chinese theater

They used to do one at DHS, but they stopped when SWGE opened.

the problem is that The super headliners at DHS (MFSR) and AK (FOP) take 30+ minutes in ideal conditions, so you might get 2 rides in? It’s harder to create the value. And at Epcot the attractions are super far away from each other and the 20 year old headliner (TT) still breaks down all the time; if it broke down during EMM would they refund your money?

I could see it returning to Toy Story Land, perhaps with MMRR added in, but would be shocked to see it anywhere else in the near future.
I'm sure they wouldn't but during a EMM event, they should really either make the pre-shows optional, or ditch them all together. I won't even baby swap FOP due to how long it takes to ride after you get past the queue.

That's the key .. I would be partial to doing that as well (it worked well for us for three trips (including a AP sneak preview of SWGE) Nov. 2018 - Nov. 2019) - Just not sure when to start that "year"

I've been tempted to do that for 2020-2021, but I don't think enough new will be open yet in early 2021. *shrug*

I would also suspect that Disney (knowing people will do this for the anniversary year .. and wanting to control crowds) will raise the APs again. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Platinums AP at around $1500 by the time summer of 2021 rolls around.

Yeah, my "plan" is to buy our APs at current price after word gets out that they will be increasing them. Actually, already have one I got prior to the last increase so only need 4 more.

Going to disagree here.

If Guardians is truly amazing I could see them doing the "boarding group" thing and then people doing what you see some at DHS where people get to EPCOT early to get a BG for that and maybe rope drop Rat by then hop to another park until their BG is called (or after they ride if they have a low BG)

I agree it was a pretty good movie and it was a down year overall in animation.

I thought last year was one of the strongest years ever in that category. I thought "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" should have been not only nominated for Best Picture, but I thought it should have won Best Picture and was the best movie I saw in several years.

Ticket buyers didn't agree that it was a down year for animation.

I loved both, but I felt like Frozen 2 was a much stronger film. I didn't walk out of TS4 ready to watch it again like I did Frozen 2.
I don't really think that desire to re-watch is a sign of movie quality. There are a lot more factors at play than that.

Looks like the sing along is by far the prevalent show over Impresions. Could balance out after the initial launch.

EDIT: sorry about link

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter