News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, Riviera will I assume have a spot to watch the fireworks and probably are now blocking CBR's one time view of Epcot.

Is Riveria blocking the view of the fireworks? Last time we stayed at CBR was 2008, but we watched the fireworks from the beach in front of Martinque 25. As far as I can tell from the map you should still be able to view the fireworks from there.

Well said.

I don't get it either. What does Riviera offer that CBR doesn't at this point?

Pools - At best its a scratch, IMO. Both have nice kids play areas, both have slides. I'd say CBR has better themeing......
Rooms - Rivera will have nicer touches, but if you are looking at cheapest v cheapest, CBR offers actual beds......
Views - Riviera will have actual room views, where CBR being the "motel" that it is, does not. Also, Riviera will I assume have a spot to watch the fireworks and probably are now blocking CBR's one time view of Epcot.
Restaurants - Riviera will have better ones, however, can't you use them while staying at CBR?
Transportation - both have gondola, right?
Service - I'd expect Riviera to have better, but besides our two free upgrades to CL at BWI and Poly, I'd say I've had the same experience everywhere else (minus the longer waits at All Stars).

So, pay double to 2.5 x's more for fireworks? What am I missing?

I think the only other things are a) it's completely new and b) it has interior hallways which for many just "feels" more expensive and nicer, etc. (vs. "motel feel")

Not worth 2.5x to me though

Your not wrong on location playing a part I am sure. I am sure part of Disneys Pricing also reflects the plans for SW land opening and the changes at EPCOT and the popularity of its festivals. For the couple who loves to drink and do food at Epcot the Riveria prob does have extra value due to its Skyliner, in saying that Im not sure after a night of drinking I would want to step onto a suspended car, that could be a disaster in the making, depending on the sway of the vehicle. I am sure Disney is thinking more meta in its justification of pricing, as for the pricing for the Rivera for 378 the first week, that makes at least more since, yet for capacity its still 20 dollars more per adult ,ages 10+, for occupancy then staying at VGF. I know the head count per room thing is a number subject to want, of each vacationer, not everyone is going to want to cram 4 or 4.5 guests into a room, but as bussiness\hotel you plan for max occupancy. The prices are close to on par for occupancy of room if you want for the first week of December. I am sure the people at Disney who came up with the priceing, may see Epcots food offerings being as big a value as the 4 restaurants at VGF. I still think the price is more into it being a new DVC resort and closer to the new Disney Projects then anything else. Who knows how they weigh things, like everything else I am sure there is a formula they use.

It's true, but per head is not relevant to a couple staying on cash. It's about 1/2 price of VGF and much faster to EPCOT. It's just an example like you say of different needs/wants.

Honestly the 2 of us would rather pay $378 for Riviera than $678 for VGF. But we also far prefer EPCOT (and soon will DHS) to MK, and love the BW area.

That extra $300 a night goes a long way toward drinks and dining.

I think the only other things are a) it's completely new and b) it has interior hallways which for many just "feels" more expensive and nicer, etc. (vs. "motel feel")

Not worth 2.5x to me though

I think those indoor hallways make people think the walks to the lobby are alot shorter than they actually are as well.

Is Riveria blocking the view of the fireworks? Last time we stayed at CBR was 2008, but we watched the fireworks from the beach in front of Martinque 25. As far as I can tell from the map you should still be able to view the fireworks from there.

You could be right here...

Riviera will at least have a better view, unless you walk from CBR to Riviera to watch.... But Riviera will have access to the roof top I'm assuming. So it's got that.

So based on this artist rendering of where the fireworks are relative to the Riviera I don't think many spots would be blocked ... maybe like building 24 in Martinique?

riv23487347-624x351.jpg

So based on this artist rendering of where the fireworks are relative to the Riviera I don't think many spots would be blocked ... maybe like building 24 in Martinique?

riv23487347-624x351.jpg

From what I remember when you are on the beach in front of Martinique 25 you look straight over Aruba to see the fireworks.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/resorts/map/#/id=caribbean-beach-resort/

From this map it looks like the view should still be good from there, but may obstruct the view from Martinique 24 depending how far over the tower comes. Someone who has been there recently would probably know.

From the CBR group I'm in on FB, several people have posted fireworks pics in the last 4 months both from in the pool and from the deck area in front of Banana Cabana. And the Riviera building has been up longer than that so at least from that area of the resort it doesn't block them. From the various islands I don't know.

NEWS

Disney ranked # 4 on the Fortune Magazine List of the "world's most admired companies" and #1 for the Entertainment industry

I love the comments form people saying they would have been #1 overall if they didn't ruin Star Wars ... people just can't get over The Last Jedi

upload_2019-1-22_17-6-24.png

I'm not sure about all resorts but when the 2019 room rates were released back in June I compared them to the 2018 rates and the increase on the POP rooms along with the AS's and some moderates were only a $1 or so in ever month thru the end of 2019...they can always change them but they are as of now...not charging a surge price based on the Gondolas ..Yet.
The rack room rates for Fall and the last couple weeks for 2019 are about the same as they were in 2018.

here is a link to compare...

https://www.themouseforless.com/walt-disney-world/resort-hotels/faq/pop-century/rates/

Last edited:
I've had a one night, last minute (like day of) stay at Coronado and then tons of stays at the deluxes. I left on property when they pulled 24 hour room service and switched to the Swolphin, but our last trip was awful there so we now go offsite. We can stay at a true deluxe property for less than a WDW property and can afford a suite at that. The value position is just totally lost for me. I grew up staying at the CR or Epcot area and love the convenience but it's just lost services and increased in price. Sounds like, for you, onsite is still a worthwhile position. There are obviously tons of people who agree with you:) I'm just baffled at the additional inventory and increased prices while service has gone to poop.

When the SW hotel opens though, all bets are off. Take my money, Disney!
I’m with you on this. We had successive trips to Boardwalk, GF, YC a couple of trips Poly and BC. Used to get decent discounts which made it manageable. I love the convenience but the pricing has gotten out of hand. Off sight and Uber has been the latest mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!