News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unfortunate, but it happens. I was stuck underground on the Redline in Chicago on a very hot summer day for almost two hours. My clothes were soaked with sweat. And I had to stand the whole time! People started getting panicky, which didn't help them with the heat. And this was before internet was widely used, so no one had cell phones. We all were talking to each other by the end! :rotfl:

The monorail is maintained well. Its just old. Its like a car. You can maintain it well but the older it gets it typically breaks down or has issues more frequently.
Wheres Hercules to push the monorail back to the station? Also i wonder if any of the specialized lifts they bough for the skyliner can be easily transported across the park to WDW to help unload the Monorail if they need to in a emergency. After all some of them are just modified scissor lifts

Wheres Hercules to push the monorail back to the station? Also i wonder if any of the specialized lifts they bough for the skyliner can be easily transported across the park to WDW to help unload the Monorail if they need to in a emergency. After all some of them are just modified scissor lifts
RCFD has monorail evacuation tools already. The Skyliner things are made specifically for that.

I know the fire department has specific tools for the Monorail, I am just thinking about a hypothetical situation where lets say you needed to evacuate multiple lines, Since we already know RCFD is short staffed as they always say so durring their contract renegotiation , I was wondering if in there planning they thought about duel use. When planning for disasters at a corporation like Disney and specifically at a theme park it is better to plan for the worst case scenario than for your everyday Monorail break down. For example lets say the whole Monorail system lost power, and the backups wouldn't come back up, you would have not only the resort line and ttc line that would need to be evaced as well as the Epcot line. I would expect that using the specific equipment for the Monorail would be time consuming to say the least. I know the preferred method is to send out the retrieval vehicle that runs off of Diesel and pull the trains back but with so many trains that might take alot of time, especially if they have to manually do all the switching of the tracks due to a power outage.

My curiosity is only related to a duel use purpose for some of them and there feasibility to be transported on property if needed. It really is all conjecture since I hope they never have to find out if they could use the lifts in a emergency but if I was to plan for all contingencies and emergencies I would want to know and at least test it once for the book of what ifs.

I am hoping that whatever renovation/replacement or the monorails somehow tries to incorporate a back up battery system, I know that a battery backup system wasn't feasible during past renovates and when the last trains refresh was done, but battery technology has improved significantly, even if it was to a crawl pace a limited back up battery system to a monorail to the nearest station would be a improvement, though I think the epoct line due to length might make that a bit more of a challenge.

Last edited:
I know the fire department has specific tools for the Monorail, I am just thinking about a hypothetical situation where lets say you needed to evacuate multiple lines, Since we already know RCFD is short staffed as they always say so durring their contract renegotiation , I was wondering if in there planning they thought about duel use. When planning for disasters at a corporation like Disney and specifically at a theme park it is better to plan for the worst case scenario than for your everyday Monorail break down. For example lets say the whole Monorail system lost power, and the backups wouldn't come back up, you would have not only the resort line and ttc line that would need to be evaced as well as the Epcot line. I would expect that using the specific equipment for the Monorail would be time consuming to say the least. I know the preferred method is to send out the retrieval vehicle that runs off of Diesel and pull the trains back but with so many trains that might take alot of time, especially if they have to manually do all the switching of the tracks due to a power outage.

My curiosity is only related to a duel use purpose for some of them and there feasibility to be transported on property if needed. It really is all conjecture since I hope they never have to find out if they could use the lifts in a emergency but if I was to plan for all contingencies and emergencies I would want to know and at least test it once for the book of what ifs.
Maybe but I think they will have things mostly separate. The monorail has been running at WDW for 40+ years. Disney is a bit more familiar with how to deal with issues there.

I am hoping that whatever renovation/replacement or the monorails somehow tries to incorporate a back up battery system, I know that a battery backup system wasn't feasible during past renovates and when the last trains refresh was done, but battery technology has improved significantly, even if it was to a crawl pace a limited back up battery system to a monorail to the nearest station would be a improvement, though I think the epoct line due to length might make that a bit more of a challenge.

When I first saw the tweet on Facebook I honestly thought it was yesterday. My son said all the monorails were stuck yesterday for a short time during the storm that knocked out power across the property. He was going to costuming backstage when everything went down.

With this only being 30 minutes, I doubt the fire department even started looking at rescues when this went down. Most likely the responded and Disney told them they would have it up shortly so they didn't bother getting what they needed setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!