News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it was fairly well known before, but those who found him offensive simply avoided his work. Hosting the Oscars is a much bigger platform that a wider audience wants to watch, hence the outcry. And he hadn't made any effort to delete the tweets, they were all out there for anyone to see.

The mask may look different but he's wearing one in Epsiode 9 so it's likely to come back

Hilarious. That's a major shot at Rian Johnson if so. And the caving begins. :rotfl2:

I see no explanation he would rebuild it or make a new one, except Lucas/Disney admitting he's no Villain the way RJ currently wanted him to look.

Last edited:
I've also wondered if people have been boycotting anything he's been in since 2009-2011 like most recently that I can think of is his movie Night School. Do people choose not to go see his movies, watch his comedy specials because of his tweets when he first made them?

As far as looking for a host for something I do wonder also how exhaustive of a search (assuming they are doing one) do they do? It happened 7-9 years ago so were they digging around that far back before they asked him to be the host?

And FWIW I get really sad when I hear the type of comments in the tweets we're talking about as I've heard them from my husband's step siblings (no longer by marriage) but in all honesty if I saw those types of comments in a comedy special I wouldn't be as sad as if I was seeing them via Twitter but that's purely a personal thing.

Before he was names I did see some reports they were having trouble finding someone willing to host - so maybe they didn't look as deep as they would have if they had more options :confused3

I do understand where you are coming from as far as in a comedy show vs on twitter - comes back to the whole "can comedy be 'edgy' and perhaps off color because of the nature of the genre is to push boundaries, etc." - or are things just wrong and it doesn't matter if it was int he context of comedy or not

- how does it come out now? Do people have this information and just sit on it or do people start to dig once someone is named to a certain position? Just coincidence?

I do think there are folks out there who take a sick pleasure in "taking down" people they perceive in power, and either sit on this kind of info until it's useful, or scour through history to find it and use against them.

- are people able to overcome past mistakes? Not to say what is done in the past "doesn't count or doesn't matter" but are people allowed to make mistakes and learn from it and grow and be better? Who decides? How can this improvement be proved or measured?

My husband and I were talking about this last night - why is it that people in power are not allowed room to grow? A lot depends on how their actions have SHOWN their growth. Have they acknowledged their poor behavior after the fact and shown remorse/made amends/proven change? That definitely matters. But it seems that it makes better headlines when folks in perceived power positions are never allowed to recover from their mistakes.

again, not saying I disagree with the Oscars getting rid of him or Disney getting rid of Gunn or any specific situation - more the topic in general

If i read the story correctly, the Academy didn't get rid of him - they asked him to make a public apology and he declined. Not because he wasn't remorseful over the ten year old comments, but because he had already done so in the past and didn't feel it needed to be dredged up yet again just to satisfy the Academy. He then opted to step down.

I think it was fairly well known before, but those who found him offensive simply avoided his work. Hosting the Oscars is a much bigger platform that a wider audience wants to watch, hence the outcry. And he hadn't made any effort to delete the tweets, they were all out there for anyone to see.
I think he was well known but that's just my opinion.

I'd have to disagree on the wider audience thing. That actually makes it worse in my mind to think that the Oscars is the defining point where the buck stops here.

From 2009-present day he's been in 28 films (includes some stand up films) with another one coming out next year (Secret Life of Pets 2). Since 2009 he's been in 14 tv shows (includes some stand up tv specials as well as a major tv show where he's been in 60 episodes from 2013-2016) and being the host of most recently TKO that aired this summer. He hosted the BET awards back in 2011, the MTV Video Music Awards in 2012 AND co-hosted the 2016 MTV Move Awards (while I know MTV is not the standard for good names lol it's not as if this is the first time he's hosted something well known).

- how does it come out now? Do people have this information and just sit on it or do people start to dig once someone is named to a certain position? Just coincidence?

I do think there are folks out there who take a sick pleasure in "taking down" people they perceive in power, and either sit on this kind of info until it's useful, or scour through history to find it and use against them.

- are people able to overcome past mistakes? Not to say what is done in the past "doesn't count or doesn't matter" but are people allowed to make mistakes and learn from it and grow and be better? Who decides? How can this improvement be proved or measured?

My husband and I were talking about this last night - why is it that people in power are not allowed room to grow? A lot depends on how their actions have SHOWN their growth. Have they acknowledged their poor behavior after the fact and shown remorse/made amends/proven change? That definitely matters. But it seems that it makes better headlines when folks in perceived power positions are never allowed to recover from their mistakes.

again, not saying I disagree with the Oscars getting rid of him or Disney getting rid of Gunn or any specific situation - more the topic in general

If i read the story correctly, the Academy didn't get rid of him - they asked him to make a public apology and he declined. Not because he wasn't remorseful over the ten year old comments, but because he had already done so in the past and didn't feel it needed to be dredged up yet again just to satisfy the Academy. He then opted to step down.

Definitely agree with a lot of what you are saying/thinking (and you are right about the situation that they asked him to apologies - and then the way I saw it he opted to not and rather step down as he felt he has grown from it and didn't want to be a distraction - but then did apologies, so was sort of weird)

I also do think there are some people that enjoy taking down powerful people and poking holes in them ... heck, to tie it back to Disney I think there are people that enjoy pointing out all the negatives of Walt and say he wasn't as great as his fans think he was and then perpetuate rumors that may not even be true, etc. (not saying apples to apples, but just the concept of people enjoying putting down people of power - and pointing out they aren't as great as their position would indicate they are/should be)

I do find all these situations interesting (this, James Gunn, etc.) - and not to say I disagree with the decision to get rid of him, just more questions raised about these situations in general
- are these firms/entities not doing proper vetting?

at least hopefully all of these cases can be lessons for others (everyone, but especially young people) that be careful what you put on twitter, etc. - even if you think it is no big deal or just a joke or just messing around with friends, it can come back to haunt you
I agree. After all of these incidents with old tweets how is this still a problem?

I'm still waiting on Del Toro's Haunted Mansion project

Del Toro's Haunted Mansion staring Ryan Gosling. That may actually get me into a theater. Probably not...but maybe. Side note, check out Dead Man's Bones. Ryan Gosling and Zach Shields put out an album with a bunch of spooky sounding songs. Here's some backstory from Wikipedia:

Wikipedia said:
When Shields and Gosling met in 2005 they discovered a mutual obsession with the Haunted Mansion ride at Disneyland. Zach was so preoccupied with ghosts as a kid that he was put into therapy, and Gosling's parents moved out of his childhood home because they believed it was haunted. Neither of them had really outgrown their fascination with graveyards or anything deathly and decided to write love stories about ghosts and monsters.

I see that Netflix has green lighted his lifelong passion!

How'd this fly under my radar?! Regardless, I'm happy it's going to be through Netflix. Let Del Toro's show his vision.

I originally saw just a gif of Belle holding the torch. I thought it was CGI.

you mean this trailer?

Was this the subtitle that fans speculated after the Russo Bros. mentioned they wanted to hold off on the reveal due to spoilers?

maybe we can eventually get a "special edition" release of the Last Jedi where they CGI the mask onto all the scenes:
View attachment 368790

Awesome. Yea I had no problems with him removing it at times since its not life support.

But to go out of his way (RJ) to belittle it, and destroy it because he "looks ridiculous" was completely idiotic IMO.

And it's sounding like Disney agrees.

Certainly they wouldn't have him "go back" to looking ridiculous if they agreed with RJ.

I think he was well known but that's just my opinion.

I'd have to disagree on the wider audience thing. That actually makes it worse in my mind to think that the Oscars is the defining point where the buck stops here.

From 2009-present day he's been in 28 films (includes some stand up films) with another one coming out next year (Secret Life of Pets 2). Since 2009 he's been in 14 tv shows (includes some stand up tv specials as well as a major tv show where he's been in 60 episodes from 2013-2016) and being the host of most recently TKO that aired this summer. He hosted the BET awards back in 2011, the MTV Video Music Awards in 2012 AND co-hosted the 2016 MTV Move Awards (while I know MTV is not the standard for good names lol it's not as if this is the first time he's hosted something well known).

I meant his homophobia (and history of domestic violence and infidelity) was fairly well known before. And just last week or so he was being called out for his son's cowboys and Indians themed party, so he's clearly not free of controversy even now.

Hilarious. That's a major shot at Rian Johnson if so. And the caving begins. :rotfl2:

I see no explanation he would rebuild it or make a new one, except Lucas/Disney admitting he's no Villain the way RJ currently wanted him to look.
I would love it if JJ was able to make most of Episode VIII a dream ..

Personally I am curious how he recovers after that mess of a movie (that had good moments, just didn't do a lot for character building and just ignored tons of things from VII)

Awesome. Yea I had no problems with him removing it at times since its not life support.

But to go out of his way (RJ) to belittle it, and destroy it because he "looks ridiculous" was completely idiotic IMO.

And it's sounding like Disney agrees.

Certainly they wouldn't have him "go back" to looking ridiculous if they agreed with RJ.

i didn't mind as much because it was him questioning the path he was going down and the whole: No, it isn't complete what my Grandfather started its "let the past die" and do things differently going forward. It's not the Empire's way it's a new way. So the logic was there

But maybe he evolves now and it isn't "let the past die" it's "learn from the past - take what works and leverage it, but don't be beholden to it" (which I think is what Rey will learn too in regards to the Jedi order) - so he has a mask now he uses when it makes sense, but he is also ok removing it at times

That’s actually a serious question. Both have billion dollar potential for sure. We also have episode 9 that could be up there as well.

I’m excited for all 3, but I don’t think it’ll be that close,
I would predict:
Domestic: Star Wars, Endgame, Lion King
Worldwide: Endgame, Star Wars, Lion King

All clear a billion with Endgame clearing 2 Billion and Star Wars around 1.8.

Totally agree. I think A4 might do #1 in the US as well. And I’m a huuuuge SW fan

I meant his homophobia (and history of domestic violence and infidelity) was fairly well known before.
Ah ok I gotcha thanks for clearing that part up. I think I was also bouncing off of the Oscar/wider audience type thing when I made that comment at least that was what was running through my mind-my mind was quicker than my fingers lol.

And just last week or so he was being called out for his son's cowboys and Indians themed party, so he's clearly not free of controversy even now.
I don't think anyone is saying he's free from controversy but he's clearly still being hired for roles/hosts (though I suppose that could change after the whole Oscar thing) which only drives home one of my points.

My other point was using the Oscars as some sort of moral compass as if "oh now it's an issue." Granted it holds zero actual weight but it may be worth just glancing at the various awards he's won and nominations he's had- from kid/teen-oriented ones like Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards and Teen Choice Awards to MTV Movie Awards, being nominated for a Grammy to winning the NCAACP Image Awards to People Choice Awards---and with 26/28 total being AFTER 2011. He hasn't been living in obscurity or a hermit and he's been in quite a decent amount of things all after these tweets were made. Jumanji was a huge success just to name one of his recent things.

I also wouldn't equate his tweets to a party theme unless you can tell without a doubt his intent to have that theme was with ill-will but that's just me.

*Don't get me wrong like I said it's sad these types of comments. I am more speaking towards various comments made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter