News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theatres are still very popular here even with all the amenities people have in their homes. I will say one of the big changes is that all of our local theatres have gone to recliner seating which is a big draw. We still enjoy going to the movies and by picking up reduced combo packs at Costco it's still a thing we enjoy doing.

i will say of the last 5 movies we've gone to, the theatre has been full enough that 3 of them had people sitting in the front rows. All seating is pre-assigned so they knew that's where they'd be sitting and still chose to go so I would say where I live a night at the movies is still an activity many enjoy.
The recliner thing is interesting when looking at how full a theater is.

When one of the AMC theatre locations switched to recliners they reduced each theater capacity by half to make room for the recliners that take up a lot more room than the old seats so yeah it can be full but that doesn't always translate in number of tickets sold.

The other AMC theatre location took out about half of the entire theater complex (used to have 30 theaters but now has 28 or 28 or close to that total between regular, IMAX, and Dine-In) a long time ago to make Dine-In theaters. Cinema Suites with full reclining has little seats in each theater (44 in one of the theaters I just checked plus a few for those in a wheelchair). So again full theater not that many people seeing the movies. The Fork and Screen doesn't have full reclining but with the seats and the tables the overall capacity is reduced (one of the theaters I checked had 80 seats plus some for those in a wheelchair). What really shows capacity is if one of the non-reclining theaters with an approximate capacity of 385 is full or mostly full. Now granted there are smaller,non-reclining theaters too but a movie that has just been released isn't going to be in those small theaters anyways unless it's in an off-peak time).

*Sorry I know a tangent on the News Thread :) *

There's a whole market on scents like Rome burning, Pirates water, Haunted Mansion, etc in terms of candles, wax melts, etc. Weird perhaps but it's def. a thing and so many people enjoy those characteristics smells.

My wife wants a "strawberry shortcake in a tin pail" candle to remind her of HDDR! Me, just give me an "Illuminations finale firework smell slowly waffling past my last full Harp on the R&C patio" candle and I will be happy. pirate:

My wife wants a "strawberry shortcake in a tin pail" candle to remind her of HDDR! Me, just give me an "Illuminations finale firework smell slowly waffling past my last full Harp on the R&C patio" candle and I will be happy. pirate:
::yes:: for sure!

There's a couple of candle companies I've been dying to try out..haven't quite convinced my husband to let me get another candle seeing as I still have a bunch already. Saying "but but it's Disney-related" still doesn't budge him. Some day I'll go on a spree because some of those scents are def. calling my name lol.

I've been on a "no new mugs" (except for Starbucks You Are here) probation for a while too:rolleyes1 though I was able to convince him that we should get that low cost, but still cute, Disney mug that Target was selling earlier on in the spring/summer lol.

There's a whole market on scents like Rome burning, Pirates water, Haunted Mansion, etc in terms of candles, wax melts, etc. Weird perhaps but it's def. a thing and so many people enjoy those characteristics smells.
I knew you could get the resort scents, but I didn't know you could get rome burning! I know what I'm putting in my mom's stocking this year!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....At least get rid of the smell when Rome is burning

Get rid of it? People love that.

Honestly it's the primary reason we ride it so much. If they drop it, I'm not sure if we'd even ride it anymore.

I knew you could get the resort scents, but I didn't know you could get rome burning! I know what I'm putting in my mom's stocking this year!

I burn this and the pirates smell candle all the time. It's great. Only candles I use.

Honestly it's the primary reason we ride it so much. If they drop it, I'm not sure if we'd even ride it anymore.

I burn this and the pirates smell candle all the time. It's great. Only candles I use.
I saw one candle labeled "Splash Mountain water" and I was thinking who wants a candle that stinks that bad - but Rome is burining is great.

Are these available to be purchased in the parks or only online?

The recliner thing is interesting when looking at how full a theater is.

When one of the AMC theatre locations switched to recliners they reduced each theater capacity by half to make room for the recliners that take up a lot more room than the old seats so yeah it can be full but that doesn't always translate in number of tickets sold.

The other AMC theatre location took out about half of the entire theater complex (used to have 30 theaters but now has 28 or 28 or close to that total between regular, IMAX, and Dine-In) a long time ago to make Dine-In theaters. Cinema Suites with full reclining has little seats in each theater (44 in one of the theaters I just checked plus a few for those in a wheelchair). So again full theater not that many people seeing the movies. The Fork and Screen doesn't have full reclining but with the seats and the tables the overall capacity is reduced (one of the theaters I checked had 80 seats plus some for those in a wheelchair). What really shows capacity is if one of the non-reclining theaters with an approximate capacity of 385 is full or mostly full. Now granted there are smaller,non-reclining theaters too but a movie that has just been released isn't going to be in those small theaters anyways unless it's in an off-peak time).

*Sorry I know a tangent on the News Thread :) *
I agree that the seating is greatly reduced when theatres move to recliner seating.

All I was saying is that there are still a large number of people that go to the movies in our area. Many here were saying that they no longer go. Some may choose not to but still many like the theatre experience. We went to see Smallfoot on Monday afternoon. It was showing 15 times Monday alone and our large theatre had people sitting in the front row. Going to the movies is not the same for all and many will still choose to go see many varieties of movies in the theatre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter