News Round Up 2018

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by rteetz, Dec 31, 2017.

1. TheMaxRebo

TheMaxRebo DIS Veteran

Same here - and the baby sitter cost is a huge factor as even if we just go to the movie that alone is like $40

I might make an exception for Mary Poppins - especially if we can go opening weekend as I think that could be a cool "communal" feel in the theater with people excited for it ... but in general and the same way - why spend $15/ticket to see something that will be a near identical experience watching at home for $30/BlueRay that we then have forever?

2. TheMaxRebo

TheMaxRebo DIS Veteran

Will be interesting to see - in some ways it would be nice if they return to making some smaller budget movies that go right to the streaming service. Not everything needs a $200m budget

I know it isn't apples to apples but when the WWE started their streaming service it was interesting that they included all PPVs in with the service. So instead of people having to pay $50 for one show a month it was included in their $9.99 monthly fee - with the idea being rather than get 80k paying $50 they get a million spending $10

osully likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. rteetz

rteetz Rumors and News Moderator Moderator

5. rteetz

6. Redcon1

Redcon1 DIS Veteran

Our library, after the initial high usage of a DVD title, will often sell their extra copies for $1. So we can rent for free and possibly own it down the road for $1.

7. Redcon1

Redcon1 DIS Veteran

Yeah, in the past, some of these films would have most likely wound up as made-for-TV two-part episodes on the old Wonderful World of Color.

AGoofykindagirl likes this.
  8. jade1

jade1 I spend half my money on WDW, and waste the rest.

Anybody know what these cost? And when they disperse the wristbands? DD might be in the area today. TIA.

9. Mackenzie Click-Mickelson

Mackenzie Click-Mickelson DIS Veteran

I don't know how much they sell it for ($1 is a great deal!) but I do think they do that to an extent either through a couple of "stores" they have in a few library locations or through a couple of events they have throughout the year.

osully likes this.
  10. MommyinHonduras

MommyinHonduras DIS Veteran

As with most sectors things are changing much quicker than the market is willing to change. Movie theaters are one area for sure. How many homes have high quality set ups now and as stated above, better food and less cost as well as your own bathroom and a pause button also make great reasons. Making theatre tickets sales as the benchmark it once was most likely needs a refresh.

AGoofykindagirl and tlmadden73 like this.
  11. AMusicLifeForMe

AMusicLifeForMe DIS Veteran

This seems a little shocking to me. Over 2 years is a LONG time for a refurb/overhaul.

Ariel484, osully, MommaBerd and 2 others like this.
  12. dolewhipdreams

dolewhipdreams Counting days until my next Dole Whip

WOW yeah that's so long for such a classic ride. I can definitely see the need, though. And I think the potential is there to shape it into something pretty fantastic.

13. Tiki Birdland

Tiki Birdland Mouseketeer

yeah. My hope is that's fantastic as in, "not IP-based". Cringing at the thought of a "Marvel Avengers Spaceship Earth".

14. dolewhipdreams

dolewhipdreams Counting days until my next Dole Whip

Oh YIKES. IP never crossed my mind but geez with the way everything is going...

15. amberpi

amberpi DIS Veteran

Babysitting in Orlando is even worse...and we were happy to pay it. I think my husband said “please take my money, we’ll be back...probably.”

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    dlavender likes this.
  16. Iowamomof4

Iowamomof4 DIS Veteran

My apologies. It was the last time we were at WDW so I just remember it well.

rteetz likes this.
  17. Cinderumbrella

Cinderumbrella DIS Veteran

18. AMusicLifeForMe

AMusicLifeForMe DIS Veteran

closetmickey and BigRed98 like this.
  19. rteetz

20. rteetz

21. scrappinginontario

scrappinginontario DIS Veteran

Theatres are still very popular here even with all the amenities people have in their homes. I will say one of the big changes is that all of our local theatres have gone to recliner seating which is a big draw. We still enjoy going to the movies and by picking up reduced combo packs at Costco it's still a thing we enjoy doing.

i will say of the last 5 movies we've gone to, the theatre has been full enough that 3 of them had people sitting in the front rows. All seating is pre-assigned so they knew that's where they'd be sitting and still chose to go so I would say where I live a night at the movies is still an activity many enjoy.