News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the vast majority of people in America really care if a movie is made by Disney or someone else. On these type of boards? Sure. But most people? If the movie looks good, they go, regardless of who made it.

I won't go to a movie in theaters anymore that isn't a blockbuster special effects type movie. There is no point in me seeing Christopher Robins or Mary Poppins in theaters. My home TV is large, fantastic, has great sound, comfortable seats, etc. I just don't need to spend $15 a ticket, $30 on popcorn and sodas, etc to see a drama or comedy on the big screen. For my wife and I to do dinner and a movie, with a babysitter, it's $100. For me to take the kids to an animated movie, even at matinee prices, it's $75 by the time I get a few snacks for them.

I can wait and have my Pop Secret for a $1 a bag and my movie for $6 for the whole family, no babysitter, and better food.

Same here - and the baby sitter cost is a huge factor as even if we just go to the movie that alone is like $40

I might make an exception for Mary Poppins - especially if we can go opening weekend as I think that could be a cool "communal" feel in the theater with people excited for it ... but in general and the same way - why spend $15/ticket to see something that will be a near identical experience watching at home for $30/BlueRay that we then have forever?

I wonder once Disney has their own streaming service that we'll just see movies like this just go exclusively to the streaming service rather than pushing it to the theater. *shrug*

Will be interesting to see - in some ways it would be nice if they return to making some smaller budget movies that go right to the streaming service. Not everything needs a $200m budget

I know it isn't apples to apples but when the WWE started their streaming service it was interesting that they included all PPVs in with the service. So instead of people having to pay $50 for one show a month it was included in their $9.99 monthly fee - with the idea being rather than get 80k paying $50 they get a million spending $10

We still see movies that we really want to see in theaters (normally on a AMC Tuesday Ticket deal so it's around $5 per person) but there are plenty of other movies that I'm somewhat interested in seeing but don't want to see in theaters. Normally because there's some other movie I want to see more or a movie that got bad reviews so I'm not sure if I want to see it in theaters, etc and I get those movies most often from our local library. Granted it typically takes longer than 3 monhts (as they have to order the movie and then what order you are in terms of hold) but it costs me $0 to see it. Now it won't be Blu-ray but for many movies I'm totally ok with that.

The only time my husband and I buy movies nowadays (and we do typically buy Blu-ray honestly) is on Black Friday (good amount of those come with the digital copies anyways). Otherwise we'll ask for some movies for Christmas. Outside of that we watch movies at home through the library, through premium subscriptions that come with our cable tier (like HBO, Starz, etc), through Amazon Prime, through Netflix, through apps that offer free viewing (like Tubi TV, etc).

On a related note my library just ordered Christopher Robin either yesterday or the day before and there are already 79 holds on it lol.

Our library, after the initial high usage of a DVD title, will often sell their extra copies for $1. So we can rent for free and possibly own it down the road for $1.

I wonder once Disney has their own streaming service that we'll just see movies like this just go exclusively to the streaming service rather than pushing it to the theater. *shrug*

I fear Disney may see some "Disney fatigue" with all of these live-action remakes. Between Marvel, Star Wars, animation .. etc. Your typical Disney family only has so much money to see/buy/rent a movie .. and even less if they want to go to the parks... LOL.

Yeah, in the past, some of these films would have most likely wound up as made-for-TV two-part episodes on the old Wonderful World of Color.

Well I put the call out and managed to get myself a hatbox ghost tiki. Apparently it was not easy, and people lined up early and they passed out wrist bands.

Small consolation though, since I was in a car accident a week ago and the damage estimate just sky rocketed on my beloved Challenger and now I'm worried they're going to call it a total loss.

Anybody know what these cost? And when they disperse the wristbands? DD might be in the area today. TIA.

Our library, after the initial high usage of a DVD title, will often sell their extra copies for $1. So we can rent for free and possibly own it down the road for $1.
I don't know how much they sell it for ($1 is a great deal!) but I do think they do that to an extent either through a couple of "stores" they have in a few library locations or through a couple of events they have throughout the year.

As with most sectors things are changing much quicker than the market is willing to change. Movie theaters are one area for sure. How many homes have high quality set ups now and as stated above, better food and less cost as well as your own bathroom and a pause button also make great reasons. Making theatre tickets sales as the benchmark it once was most likely needs a refresh.

Same here - and the baby sitter cost is a huge factor as even if we just go to the movie that alone is like $40

I might make an exception for Mary Poppins - especially if we can go opening weekend as I think that could be a cool "communal" feel in the theater with people excited for it ... but in general and the same way - why spend $15/ticket to see something that will be a near identical experience watching at home for $30/BlueRay that we then have forever?

Babysitting in Orlando is even worse...and we were happy to pay it. I think my husband said “please take my money, we’ll be back...probably.”

Last edited:
Theatres are still very popular here even with all the amenities people have in their homes. I will say one of the big changes is that all of our local theatres have gone to recliner seating which is a big draw. We still enjoy going to the movies and by picking up reduced combo packs at Costco it's still a thing we enjoy doing.

i will say of the last 5 movies we've gone to, the theatre has been full enough that 3 of them had people sitting in the front rows. All seating is pre-assigned so they knew that's where they'd be sitting and still chose to go so I would say where I live a night at the movies is still an activity many enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!