News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rumor

So this one is from the "take it with 1000 grains of salt" department, but I talked with two different DVC sales CM, and both of them told me that the new California resort will definitely have a DVC wing. I don't think this proves much of anything, but it was interesting that they both seemed very certain about it.

One also told me (and again this seems possible, but I wouldn't consider it a reliable source) that Disney was considering a full size normal Star Wars themed hotel, but instead went with the specialty immersive one. Also mentioned that the Poly DVC sold out a year sooner than expected and they are concerned Copper Creek is going to sell out before Riviera is ready to go. Also talked about what a disaster Aulani is for Disney, which is not new but surprised me how candidly he talked about it. Finally, said Disney stopped giving CM discount on points for DVC because it sells so well.

Why is Aulani a disaster? I hadn't heard that before.

I think it's a very popular destination for 7-month bookings, but it doesn't sell well because most DVC members don't seem to want it as a home resort.

Does it have anything to do with the fact that families of five have to book a suite? I have always wondered that.

"On August 12, 2011, Disney suspended Aulani timeshare sales indefinitely and fired three executives, including Disney Vacation Club president Jim Lewis, after senior management realized the annual dues had been set too low to cover maintenance costs."

I can't tell you if this is completely true or not but Wikipedia (take it for a grain of salt) mentions this:
"On August 12, 2011, Disney suspended Aulani timeshare sales indefinitely and fired three executives, including Disney Vacation Club president Jim Lewis, after senior management realized the annual dues had been set too low to cover maintenance costs."
Yes, that happened

Why is Aulani a disaster? I hadn't heard that before.

It's been selling for like 10 years now, and still only like 70% sold. Even though it's a big resort, they expected it to sell out in 5 or 6 years. They expected it to be big in Japan since Japanese travel to Hawaii a lot, but the economy there weakened and it didn't sell there like expected either. From a quality of resort it's great, but DVC needs to have people wanting to buy there.

It's looking like BOG will be closed for some kind of short refurb August 20-25th. I was told this by a CM on the phone this morning while trying to book during those date & others on the boards here are reporting the same. Surprising considering they just announced the change to the dinner menu and that they were opening up the booking dates this morning without mentioning this.

Rumor

So this one is from the "take it with 1000 grains of salt" department, but I talked with two different DVC sales CM, and both of them told me that the new California resort will definitely have a DVC wing. I don't think this proves much of anything, but it was interesting that they both seemed very certain about it.

One also told me (and again this seems possible, but I wouldn't consider it a reliable source) that Disney was considering a full size normal Star Wars themed hotel, but instead went with the specialty immersive one. Also mentioned that the Poly DVC sold out a year sooner than expected and they are concerned Copper Creek is going to sell out before Riviera is ready to go. Also talked about what a disaster Aulani is for Disney, which is not new but surprised me how candidly he talked about it. Finally, said Disney stopped giving CM discount on points for DVC because it sells so well.

So when a DVC location is considered a disaster what does that mean for the company? Is it something that they can ultimately recover from if they eventually sell all of the units? Or is this something that they are pretty much certain will not be happening now?

It's looking like BOG will be closed for some kind of short refurb August 20-25th. I was told this by a CM on the phone this morning while trying to book during those date & others on the boards here are reporting the same. Surprising considering they just announced the change to the dinner menu and that they were opening up the booking dates this morning without mentioning this.

A blessing and a curse! My reservation is for the 26th, which was my goal, but I would have preferred to avoid day 1 after a rehab. I don’t want the kinks to be worked out on me!

Anyway, thrilled I get to experience the new menu in August!!

So when a DVC location is considered a disaster what does that mean for the company? Is it something that they can ultimately recover from if they eventually sell all of the units? Or is this something that they are pretty much certain will not be happening now?
Well, "disaster" is the opinion of some people but not necessarily Disney's opinion. It may be true that Aulani isn't selling as fast as Disney hoped, but that doesn't equal a "disaster". All this means is that Disney doesn't get its sales money quite as fast as they were expecting. In the mean time, the do get room revenue by making these available to non-members and some pretty $$$ rates.

Disaster is a relative term here. When planning any project, the bean counters want to see X dollars in Y years. Disney will still get the X dollars, but over 2-3 times longer. Any "miss" for earnings is considered by some a disaster (as in people potentially lose there jobs.) There was also the aforementioned scandal with them underwriting the dues, which did lead to a number of people being fired, and also some law suits. So, it's not "people died" or anything, but one repercussion is that you are unlikely to see Disney expand DVC beyond the parks ever again.

Well, "disaster" is the opinion of some people but not necessarily Disney's opinion. It may be true that Aulani isn't selling as fast as Disney hoped, but that doesn't equal a "disaster". All this means is that Disney doesn't get its sales money quite as fast as they were expecting. In the mean time, the do get room revenue by making these available to non-members and some pretty $$$ rates.

This is true, but when they sell points, they get 50 years of revenue at once. There's a reason they're converting resort rooms to DVC rooms. While I'm sure they will keep a portion of aulani as hotel rooms, that is certainly not the goal

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter