News Round Up 2017

Where do you live that has about 5 locations that's not a major market?????

They currently have 47 locations in the US... 37 of those 47 locations are in California (el lay and bay area) as well as NYC including Jersey area. The others are one in Chicago, a few in PA and a few in the Boston area... so If you aren't in the largest markets in America you don't know what a Uniqlo is. Also, that is the only 1 Uniqlo in all of south eastern US.

https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/find-stores/

I didn't say major market...I said major CITY....certainly I'm in major suburbia.

Uniqlo is a nice chain...with so far a limited footprint...but it is a chain.

Old navy used to be limited too...and the gap...now they're closing...

And the limited used to be limited and now it's eliminated (sorry...couldn't resist)

Retail is retail...springs has SOME limited issue retail. But I gotta tell ya...you can find Lilly Pulitzer and Ugg anywhere where there's a tad of suburban cash.

It is an upscale mall...more or less. I can hear 300 people scoff "I don't have that by ME!!!" But that doesn't change what it is.

There's places where dominos is the only pizza in town...I'm not gonna weight the opinion the same. It is what it is.

I didn't say major market...I said major CITY....certainly I'm in major suburbia.

Uniqlo is a nice chain...with so far a limited footprint...but it is a chain.

Old navy used to be limited too...and the gap...now they're closing...

And the limited used to be limited and now it's eliminated (sorry...couldn't resist)

Retail is retail...springs has SOME limited issue retail. But I gotta tell ya...you can find Lilly Pulitzer and Ugg anywhere where there's a tad of suburban cash.

It is an upscale mall...more or less. I can hear 300 people scoff "I don't have that by ME!!!" But that doesn't change what it is.

There's places where dominos is the only pizza in town...I'm not gonna weight the opinion the same. It is what it is.
Right now I don't go to the Springs for the shopping. I go for the dining. I like two of the 100 stores. You also have to look at the demographics. Disney isn't just catering to the American they cater to people from all over the world. You should already know that. Also not everyone who lives in the US has these stores in a close proximity. So with that it may not be appealing to you but it is to others. Of all the new stores so far only one of them has closed so something must be going right.

Right now I don't go to the Springs for the shopping. I go for the dining. I like two of the 100 stores. You also have to look at the demographics. Disney isn't just catering to the American they cater to people from all over the world. You should already know that. Also not everyone who lives in the US has these stores in a close proximity. So with that it may not be appealing to you but it is to others. Of all the new stores so far only one of them has closed so something must be going right.

I see the appeal...for some. I do like some of the new dining, no doubt.

But it is very much like king of Prussia or Potomac mills or many "signature" metro area developments. There are quite a few of those around.

And which is it? Do we defend the increased prices so wdw can be "upper class"? Or do I worry that people in Alabama and Missouri or sao palo don't have a uniqlo and need to "experience" one in lake buena vista?

Which way is it gonna be?...cause they contradict a little bit.

The drop of the "neverland tunnels" for some pantina run pasta house is a clear creative downshift...and for everyone that loves disney...that should be disappointing.

I may just be feeling cynical, but on the heels of the "gift card in exchange for no mousekeeping" deal, I have to wonder if some of the reason is that it takes less time and effort for the mousekeeping staff to clean if they are not changing out toiletries all the time? Refilling larger bottles as needed would probably take less time.
Don't they just add bottles? Seems like that takes less time than refilling containers...

I stayed at a hotel outside of Montreal that had those types of dispensers, and one in L.A. once. Honestly, felt cheap to me... low-rent... didn't like it at all.

I see the appeal...for some. I do like some of the new dining, no doubt.

But it is very much like king of Prussia or Potomac mills or many "signature" metro area developments. There are quite a few of those around.

And which is it? Do we defend the increased prices so wdw can be "upper class"? Or do I worry that people in Alabama and Missouri or sao palo don't have a uniqlo and need to "experience" one in lake buena vista?

Which way is it gonna be?...cause they contradict a little bit.

The drop of the "neverland tunnels" for some pantina run pasta house is a clear creative downshift...and for everyone that loves disney...that should be disappointing.

You limiting yourself to your point of view. Think about the larger picture. Disney needs to fill those units with tenants who can afford to be there... the market will eventually determine that. Right now, it's clear store like Uniqlo, are doing a bit better than other more established American brands. What would you have Disney put in these stores, that they don't have now?

Zara is another massive massive brand, world wide, that is a growing brand in America. I found Zara handy the last time I was at WDW about two months ago... I needed something dressy for a last minute dinner reservation at Jiko. I was happy that a store like that was available for me to pick something up that was nice and didn't break the bank. Now I have plenty of Zara location in Chicago and I typically wouldn't waste my time at one while at WDW but I know my cousins who live in Nashville were dying to go there because
They didn't have one in their hometown. It's all perspective. For you it isn't unique, but to a majority it is. Again, gotta keep these storefronts occupied!!

See now that is your region. Other than Disney I have never seen a Uniqlo.
Seen them in DC and NYC. Is that really a draw for people?

I honestly have no interest in Disney Springs while on a vacation in WDW. I just don't get it. Ventured there for Morimoto for the first time in ages and had a really disappointing meal. I don't know what they'd have to have there for me to be interested.

Guess I'm not at all their target demo.. what IS their target demo btw?? Just locals who like... what? International tourists wanting something typically American in some way? People from small towns without such stores? Seems like the latter could drive to a city nearer to them rather than take up vacation time for it...

Last edited:

I honestly have no interest in Disney Springs while on a vacation in WDW. I just don't get it. Ventured there for Morimoto for the first time in ages and had a really disappointing meal. I don't know what they'd have to have there for me to be interested.

Guess I'm not at all their target demo.. what IS their target demo btw?? Just locals who like... what? International tourists wanting something typically American in some way? People from small towns without such stores? Seems like the latter could drive to a city nearer to them rather than take up vacation time for it...
I can't speak to what the demo goal is but I know that when we go Disney Springs is a favorite for my mom, sister, and aunt. I can take or leave it but they all love to SHOP. Disney has very few "unique" stores to them but they still love to go because they are just shoppers. It is not uncommon for at least 2 nights to be spent there by them with no thought to dining reservations or eating. Some people just like to shop, me I have to be pried out of the parks most of the time to be dragged to DS.

Closest one to me is Chicago but that is still a long drive and one I don't prefer to make. I like Uniqlo because its different and offers cheap well made Disney clothing.

Personally I love Disney Springs dining. I have not been to Morimoto yet but I love the Boathouse and Homecomin'.

Disney Springs is trying to appeal to everyone in some way whether its dining, shopping or some form of entertainment.

Closest one to me is Chicago but that is still a long drive and one I don't prefer to make. I like Uniqlo because its different and offers cheap well made Disney clothing.

Personally I love Disney Springs dining. I have not been to Morimoto yet but I love the Boathouse and Homecomin'.

Disney Springs is trying to appeal to everyone in some way whether its dining, shopping or some form of entertainment.

I keep hoping for actual entertainment to show back up... Le Cirque was nice, but its not a repeat. All the bars close super early. I'm shocked that WDW can't handle more later evening openings. I guess the business just isn't there.

I keep hoping for actual entertainment to show back up... Le Cirque was nice, but its not a repeat. All the bars close super early. I'm shocked that WDW can't handle more later evening openings. I guess the business just isn't there.
NBA should have some entertainment but that won't appeal to all of course. House of Blues has music options from time to time. We also don't know what is happening to the Cirque space after it closes. There is then Splitsville for bowling.

See...that's what many of us hope for but it seems clear it's not gonna happen. Again...the neverland tunnels might have offered a little slice of that...but it's not happening. Something truly unique.

See...that's what many of us hope for but it seems clear it's not gonna happen. Again...the neverland tunnels might have offered a little slice of that...but it's not happening. Something truly unique.

I just can't think how if they just did it, it would not work like gangbusters, since there is NONE at present. A really cool, open late bar? There are enough people without kids to make a few of those work at WDW, and we all know what the profit margin on booze looks like:)

Last edited:
You limiting yourself to your point of view. Think about the larger picture. Disney needs to fill those units with tenants who can afford to be there... the market will eventually determine that. Right now, it's clear store like Uniqlo, are doing a bit better than other more established American brands. What would you have Disney put in these stores, that they don't have now?

Zara is another massive massive brand, world wide, that is a growing brand in America. I found Zara handy the last time I was at WDW about two months ago... I needed something dressy for a last minute dinner reservation at Jiko. I was happy that a store like that was available for me to pick something up that was nice and didn't break the bank. Now I have plenty of Zara location in Chicago and I typically wouldn't waste my time at one while at WDW but I know my cousins who live in Nashville were dying to go there because
They didn't have one in their hometown. It's all perspective. For you it isn't unique, but to a majority it is. Again, gotta keep these storefronts occupied!!

Well I'm gonna have to give you the Captain O award of the day for that...

But seriously...I get the need for the retail center...I'm just calling it a typical retail center...as it is one. Very reminiscent of others in Florida alone...but also those around Boston, New York, Washington, Chicago...California...Texas...

...which also as luck would have it is where the biggest chunk of the wdw travelers come from.

So it's probably - again - not at all unique. I know that doesn't cover everyone...but all areas aren't exactly equal either.

Again...it's got its high points and it's low points..

Check the tape - I was a big watcher of the development. I thought springs could really be a big property wide asset. It's very disappointing that they went St. Armand's with it. Cause I was ok with the old St. Armand's...

And what happens when the stores start to leave...because many will. Sure uniqlo is packed...but is Kate spade? I went into the tommy bahama store on a Saturday night in July and the score was:

Workers: 2
Customers: 1

They really did punt on innovation here. The dining is the upside...as most malls/centers that have a chance of survival are recentering around food as the last department stores fail.

There some details to watch as we move forward.

I just can't think how if they just did it, it would work like gangbusters, since there is NONE at present. A really cool, open late bar? There are enough people without kids to make a few of those work at WDW, and we all know what the profit margin on booze looks like:)

They consciously killed the PI concept. It won't return. They've most assuredly decided they have no interest in catering to late nights with no kids.

That's about staffing/operation. They complained to no end behind the walls about pleasure island...just didn't make the $1000:1 receipts to employee dollars spent they demand.

The ship has sailed back across the great salt sea...

They consciously killed the PI concept. It won't return. They've most assuredly decided they have no interest in catering to late nights with no kids.

That's about staffing/operation. They complained to no end behind the walls about pleasure island...just didn't make the $1000:1 receipts to employee dollars spent they demand.

The ship has sailed back across the great salt sea...

I remember PI well, and it was...tacky, except for the Adventurer's Club. That's not going to work. Some late night, cool, relaxing, dare I say even upmarket lounges I think would succeed. I know my WDW desires are decently singular, so whatever. There's the Bluezoo lounge and Atlantic Dance Hall (shudder) if I'm really hard up. I just wonder how many other guests are going up to a bottle of wine in their room at the end of the night that they'd enjoy more out and about, and would most certainly pay more for. #shrug

Screaming into the abyss, I know.

So here's a Canadian's $0.02 on Disney Springs ... we were never really fans when it was Downtown Disney and we like Disney Springs only marginally better. It always seems to be so darn hot and humid ... it's almost as bad as AK! The high end shops aren't our thing (though we do enjoy shopping). Uniqlo and the Marketplace are nice additions. Have to agree with @lockedoutlogic that the Christmas Store is a sad shadow of what it once was (and has been for years). The boys are quickly outgrowing Once Upon a Toy and the Lego Store. Restaurant options are better, but other than a few new ones we are interested in trying, there's not much of a compelling draw for us to visit every trip. A replacement of some sort for La Nouba would be appealing.

I remember PI well, and it was...tacky, except for the Adventurer's Club. That's not going to work. Some late night, cool, relaxing, dare I say even upmarket lounges I think would succeed. I know my WDW desires are decently singular, so whatever. There's the Bluezoo lounge and Atlantic Dance Hall (shudder) if I'm really hard up. I just wonder how many other guests are going up to a bottle of wine in their room at the end of the night that they'd enjoy more out and about, and would most certainly pay more for. #shrug

Screaming into the abyss, I know.

They simply didn't like the profit to expense ratio. There are all kinds of excuses..."security" being the big one.

But I can trust my own ears...and for several years all the operational complaints were boiled down simply to profits. They aren't that subtle on the ledger sheets.

And I've been trying to carbon date you (as in figure out your age...no cheeky misdirection joke)...and I was thinking around 27...but if you have cut your teeth in PI I'll have to revise that upward...interesting...

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!