Flex Pass Superthread: Disneyland Resort Introduces New Annual Passport that Combines Value and Flexibility

How will this affect the 'sometime' tourist?
Would kinda 'stink' when you get there and find out the parks are full of reservations.

I'm glad they added this option. I'm more of a last-minute-let's-go-to-the-park person, but it makes sense to move in this direction for passholders.

I’m from the Bay Area & we always plan in advance when we go and rarely go into the parks for more than 2 days. So this pass seems perfect, as long as we can still add maxpass (for $70?). My only concern is how often would we really be needing to park the car. But it’s still so much cheaper than the pass we were getting before that I really hope this flex pass still exists when we are willing to go back to the parks again (in a year or so after Star Wars land opens and the craziness has died down).

I’m from the Bay Area & we always plan in advance when we go and rarely go into the parks for more than 2 days. So this pass seems perfect, as long as we can still add maxpass (for $70?). My only concern is how often would we really be needing to park the car. But it’s still so much cheaper than the pass we were getting before that I really hope this flex pass still exists when we are willing to go back to the parks again (in a year or so after Star Wars land opens and the craziness has died down).

Max pass is now a $100 add on to annual passes.

I live in Sacramento (6-7 hours from Disneyland depending on traffic) and currently hold a deluxe pass. I could see this pass working out for me as I could easily book cheap flights in a 30 day window, or we just drive. It really would just depend on how many reservations they allow in a given day. I'd also have to look at the blackout calendars again to see if deluxe would just make more sense for me personally.

I say all this, but I dont think I'm renewing when our passes are up in November. I love Disneyland, but there are too many other vacations I wanna take for me to renew again next year.

Disney always does everything backwards. Instead of planning for the worst and hoping for the best, they plan for the best and hope for the worst.

Again, look at their disclaimers on everything now about how they will close SWGE and DL when capacity hits, so it shows you they're expecting record crowds, and them adding this Flex pass does nothing but just increase the crowds even more... it's mind-boggling to be honest. They must be trying to hit some insane number we don't know about.

For anyone wondering how the summer or fall will be crowd-wise, you don't need to ask anymore... just know, it may hit capacity every day and be the worst crowds ever seen at DL on a daily basis...

... this will be the way it is until Disney pushes aggressive price increases until they find the breaking point.

And if you follow my train of thought, you can see I'm planning for the WORST, because that's what you should be doing. This way, you can correct and work your way back. You end up beating expectations and wowing guests in the end. Disney does the opposite of this and will end up underestimating problems and piss off guests, and for some reason, they don't seem to be fully aware how bad it's going to be.

Always lower expectations so you can wow them in the end. With this Flex pass, they're raising expectations too high to only disappoint everyone in the end.

So I’m curious. Do you think there are any holders of Signature passes who coughed up the higher price point because they didn’t want to be shut out over the summer who might *downgrade* (once their signature pass expires) to a pass like this since the option to go in the summer is still there with a little planning?

Not really - it depends when you plan to go. Outside of Summer and peak seasons, most Mondays to Thursdays and some Fridays are "Good to go". This pass wouldn't be great for a summer vacation, but for most other times of the year it could be the perfect pass.
Yes that could be true if work and school allowed.

To be clear, I’m not complaining that the pass isn’t right for me. Disney’s job isn’t to make a bevy of passes that are exactly right for every guest—that’s why there’s choices. I was just trying to think about who their target was with these passes and how that might contribute to crowd levels. Disney’s official statements say they are trying to “smooth” attendance and ease crowding. It’ll be interesting to see.

So I’m curious. Do you think there are any holders of Signature passes who coughed up the higher price point because they didn’t want to be shut out over the summer who might *downgrade* (once their signature pass expires) to a pass like this since the option to go in the summer is still there with a little planning?
I suppose it’s possible, but probably not that many. I think this pass is the response to the high percentage of SoCal and Deluxe APs who didn’t renew this year, and that same type of demographic remains the target. You might have some families where one person is Signature for the parking/discount benefits and the rest of the family does the Flex Pass, I suppose... I think that will depend on how the reservation thing plays out in practice.

Not me. I like to be able to make plans on the spur of the moment-I rarely go on the good to go dates so I would be reliant on the reservations. And also parking and higher discounts.

My sister and her bf didn’t renew last fall. They are looking into this more and I wouldn’t be surprised to see them opt for this in the future (especially since they will take advantage of mine for parking and discounts).

Reactions: EmJ
I nearly didn't renew my pass in October last year - it was just getting too expensive to justify. Back then the Signature pass was still $999. I considered the Deluxe Annual Pass, but most of the summer was blocked out and one of the main reasons I wanted to renew was to see SWGE when it opens. I also considered just getting a SoCal pass, but I like to occasionally go on weekends to catch up with friends. So my only real option was a Signature Pass or no pass at all.

So this new Flex Pass will be perfect for my situation, but I understand it won't suit everyone. It will still provide me with plenty of "Good to go" weekdays (when I'd normally go), plus the chance of the occasional weekend visit. If my Signature Pass were expiring this summer I would have certainly downgraded to the Flex Pass. Actually, after 5 years of Premium/Signature passes I wasn't planning to renew at all at the end of this one, but with the Flex Pass the incentive is there and I'll likely get it (assuming the price remains $599).

I nearly didn't renew my pass in October last year - it was just getting too expensive to justify. Back then the Signature pass was still $999. I considered the Deluxe Annual Pass, but most of the summer was blocked out and one of the main reasons I wanted to renew was to see SWGE when it opens. I also considered just getting a SoCal pass, but I like to occasionally go on weekends to catch up with friends. So my only real option was a Signature Pass or no pass at all.

So this new Flex Pass will be perfect for my situation, but I understand it won't suit everyone. It will still provide me with plenty of "Good to go" weekdays (when I'd normally go), plus the chance of the occasional weekend visit. If my Signature Pass were expiring this summer I would have certainly downgraded to the Flex Pass. Actually, after 5 years of Premium/Signature passes I wasn't planning to renew at all at the end of this one, but with the Flex Pass the incentive is there and I'll likely get it (assuming the price remains $599).

I wonder if they will let you have parking on the downgraded pass since you have it with your current pass?

I don't see who they are marketing this to. It sounds like a really bad idea. Almost seems like a scam with their hinky reservation system.

This is great for people with flexible schedules. It's perfect for our family. My husband is a dj that specializes in weddings and we homeschool our kids. So work and school schedules are opposite and more flexible for us than most. Anyone who works weekends or is retired could really use this option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter