Newport Beach, California!

Thank you as well for this great thread!

I do have a question, and if I missed it above, I apologize.

We will be staying in the DLR area, but really want to take a day trip to Newport Beach--maybe visit Bilboa (sp?!?) Island and I know we want to go to Crystal Cove State Park. I'm trying to decide if we need a car rental for this trip as otherwise we will be at DLR the whole time. Is there public transport that we could take from DLR to Newport Beach and back, or would that be a real mess of transfers, etc., and we'd be better with a car??

I would get a rental car .... public transportation in So Cal is not the best. You might be able to pick up a rental car at one of the hotels and only need it for the one day you are heading to the beach. Or depending on how many are in your party it might be better to just get one for the entire trip rather than messing with a shuttle from the airport. Not sure what airport but if it's Orange County aka John Wayne the drive is easy. :beach:

Thanks Grumpy Grandma!

While in Newport Beach, we are going to Crystal Cove State Park. We will wander the beach there and probably do a bit of the interior hiking. I've read that there at least two different kinds of rattlesnakes in that area. If we stay on the paths, should we be fine in shorts and sandals? Or would it be safer to have jeans, sneakers/hiking boots and socks that day. We enjoy hiking, so aren't scared of running into a snake. Just trying to be safe.

I really haven't done any hiking in that area .... most of my hikes/walks take place in the Sierra Nevada Mts .... around the Lake Tahoe area. Hope someone else can answer your question. Personally if I'm in So Cal and the weather permits I'm in shorts and flip flops!

I know this thread is OLD, but I'm going to try & revive it! My husband and I are flying to Orange County and heading to Newport for 3 nights before our Disney days. I've been researching hotels, and the one I finally booked is the Island Hotel. It looks & sounds very nice! Apparently they have been in the process of refurbishing it, from the pool area to the spa to the restaurant and the rooms as well. It used to be the Four Seasons. Has anyone here actually stayed there and have an opinion? I've been reading reviews on TA & Yelp, and most seem good except for the occasional unhappy customer.

The other places I considered were the Newport Hyatt or the Bay Shores Peninsula which is rated #1 on TA!

Going to school at Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa starting in August. Can't wait to live near all these great areas!

Crazy this just got revived, I was just at the beach next to Balboa Pier yesterday! Weather and beach were absolutely beautiful!

We are considering doing a whale watching excursion in early June through East Meets West Excursions. If we do go we are looking at the early trip (9 am). Any tips or things to consider (parking etc...) and also any suggestions on what we could do afterwards in the area?

We are considering doing a whale watching excursion in early June through East Meets West Excursions. If we do go we are looking at the early trip (9 am). Any tips or things to consider (parking etc...) and also any suggestions on what we could do afterwards in the area?

If you're going to be there early (I assume around 8:00 for a 9:00 departure) you shouldn't have a problem finding parking. There are both street parking and paid lots available. Afterwards, go do any of the things suggested in this thread, if you don't want to look for parking again you'll be within walking distance of the beach, Balboa Pier, Fun Zone and tons of restaurants and shopping. The pier and marina park both have great playgrounds if you have kids. We like to grab lunch to go and picnic at the beach or park. My kids like the Fun Zone too, it's kind of tacky and overpriced but a fun "beach boardwalk" type experience.

If you're going to be there early (I assume around 8:00 for a 9:00 departure) you shouldn't have a problem finding parking. There are both street parking and paid lots available. Afterwards, go do any of the things suggested in this thread, if you don't want to look for parking again you'll be within walking distance of the beach, Balboa Pier, Fun Zone and tons of restaurants and shopping. The pier and marina park both have great playgrounds if you have kids. We like to grab lunch to go and picnic at the beach or park. My kids like the Fun Zone too, it's kind of tacky and overpriced but a fun "beach boardwalk" type experience.

Thank you so much! The kids are 16, 11 and 7. I'm sure they would enjoy the Fun Zone. Tacky and overpriced is typically expected on a vacation :rotfl2:
Any info on what to anticipate for traffic on a Monday or Tuesday morning from the Disneyland area to the marina?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!