Newly diagnosed Celiac, need help planning

ashely612

Mouseketeer
I am traveling with a friend in May who has recently discovered she has celiac. We are currently on the QS dining plan. Can you give me any suggestions as to where to locate menus she can look at to help plan our meals? Also, for those who eat gluten free, what are some of your favorite Disney meals? Do we need to upgrade to table service restaurants to better accommodate this?

Satu'li is incredible. No dessert...but that's what Dole Whips and Mickey Bars are for!

At any QS you can ask for an allergy menu and talk to a chef if she wants. I know if you're going to BOG you can pre-order and include the gluten/wheat allergy and it will take you to the allergy menu that avoids gluten/wheat. I've heard that the mobile ordering is set up for allergies now, but I have not tried it.

I've not found a reliable source of allergy menus - probably because Disney doesn't really publish them as things can change depending on suppliers and such.

Every Disney run QS is going to have gluten-free options. Have her download the My Disney Experience app and mobile ordering will have allergy menus. There are also a few blogs out there that post the allergy menus like Gluten and Dairy Free at WDW. Every QS will also have an ingredient book in case you need/want to check on ingredients. Disney is pretty much the gold standard when it comes to allergy/intolerance restricted diets.

As for favorites, mine are the rice bowls at Pecos Bills, chicken at Sunshine Seasons, burger & fries at D-Luxe. I really prefer table service at AK and HS but I have a lot more restrictions than just gluten and I'm allergic to most gluten-free substitutes. Disney is one of the few places I can eat at.

I did a search on our wdwinfo site and found these links. I haven’t read them all, but it’s a start

Your friend should have no problems dining anywhere. It will take more time though. There are allergy menus at every qs register. Or straight allergy menus. There will be options for her everywhere. It’s just learning how to navigate the new world

Do not worry or feel bad about taking the extra time needed. That is just part of the process. Health first!

https://www.wdwinfo.com/walt-disney-world/walt-disney-worlds-top-10-gluten-free-finds/

https://www.wdwinfo.com/tag/gluten-free/

This blog has some (but not all) now the allergy menus posted... they are subject to change, but it will give you an idea of the types of meals that area available. https://www.glutenfreedairyfreewdw.com/menus/

I find that while she does not have menus (which can never be guaranteed to be accurate - last time I looked GFDFWDW had some woefully out-of-date ones), fairytalefoodie.com has much more up-to-date experiences shared.

We're going in a few weeks with our extended family, some of who have celiac or a gluten allergy. We've been looking at the sites listed above for menus, but I think the best quick service resource is the MDE app itself - act like you're going to make a mobile order and if you scroll down when it lists the menu, it will show the allergy menus. My sister has been finding a ton of good GF options for herself and she's very excited to try everything!

I am traveling with a friend in May who has recently discovered she has celiac. We are currently on the QS dining plan. Can you give me any suggestions as to where to locate menus she can look at to help plan our meals? Also, for those who eat gluten free, what are some of your favorite Disney meals? Do we need to upgrade to table service restaurants to better accommodate this?
We traveled last year with a first time gluten allergy. We downloaded an app on our phone. It was called Gluten Free Disney Dining or something like that. Not real sure of the name of the app. We just came across it while searching thru "Google" for gluten free dining at Disney. We found the app to be very helpful. It breaks down gluten free options by each park and Disney Springs. It lists options at each table service and quick service place. We found the app was not completely up to date, but for the most part it was very useful. Best wishes.

I find that while she does not have menus (which can never be guaranteed to be accurate - last time I looked GFDFWDW had some woefully out-of-date ones), fairytalefoodie.com has much more up-to-date experiences shared.

Good to know!! Thanks!

I was there last August, first time travelling gluten-free. It was unbelievable...first of all, they all have gluten-free menus, so I would just ask when ordering. Once my order was placed, they stamped a big red Allergy on the receipt, and my meal was then assembled by a supervisor from start to finish, delivered to me personally on it's own tray. So not transferred to a few people before it got to me. And it always had a little Allergy stick in it so there was no mistaking it. One time I ordered GF waffles, and because there wasn't a supervisor there, they had to call down to the kitchen (I was in BC Marketplace), and a chef came up with the GF waffles. I had to wait a little longer, but I was not worried that they might have mistakenly given me regular waffles. Honestly, it was the best experience ever. They really are the Gold Standard for handling allergies.

Much of the menu at Frontera Cocina is gluten free and I have heard great reviews of Raglan Rd too!

I've done about 7-ish (?) gluten free Disney trips by now since having to go gf...
Raglan Road has gluten free fish and chips, but I get the gf fish and onion rings!! My gluten eating family steals them every time I get them, they are that good. Cookes of Dublin, the quick service for Raglan Road, also serves gf fish, chips and onion rings.
I have never had an issue with ordering gluten free. Disney is wonderful with allergies in general. I've had chefs make me special meals based on what I liked, and I've ordered from quick service places with no issue whatsoever. You'll be fine! I feel safer eating in Disney than anywhere.
Satuli bowls are great, Flame Tree BBQ, Sunshine Seasons, Be our Guest, all of them QS and have interesting gluten free items. Other QS places like Cosmic Rays, ABC commissary, Casey Jr. etc have hot dogs and burgers with gluten free buns.
And...since you'll be there in May (as we will be too!) Flower and Garden festival in Epcot will have gluten free items in some of the booths. Keep an eye out for the menus in the next month, they will have the gf items clearly marked for each booth, if offered. Food and Wine festival also has gluten free items and is our other time of year to visit.
If you decide to splurge for table service; Raglan Road, Biergarten, Ohana, Spice Road Table, Sanaa, Bongos and Tusker House are some of my favorites. I've had breakfast also at Ohana and Tusker House (cheaper $) with gf waffles, which was a treat. I've also had the beignets at POFQ, which were a nice treat.

Our son was diagnosed with Celiac three years ago and we have been on several WDW vacations since. One resource I found very helpful when trying to figure out where to eat on our first trip after the diagnosis was at www.alexisgfadventures.com. The author has Celiac and has wonderful reviews for a lot of WDW restaurants, including some photos of menus.

Of all of our vacations I feel most comfortable dining out at WDW. All of the restaurants, QS and TS, have done a great job handling food allergies. The allergy menus have certainly made things easier, but I would still recommend speaking with a chef at each restaurant before ordering (QS and TS). Not only does it add a level of oversight to the order, but at the table service restaurants they can prepare dishes that may not be listed on the allergy menu. Cross-contamination is a big concern for us and it makes us more comfortable speaking to the chef. The only issue we've ever had was at lunch at the Plaza in MK. They accidentally brought out a sandwich on a regular bun instead of a gluten free bun. Luckily my son noticed it looked the same as my wife's sandwich, but if he didn't notice that could have been a big issue. We didn't speak to the chef that particular time and the waitress made a point to tell us to make sure to do so every time going forward otherwise the manager/supervisors may not get involved.

My son's "must-do's" each trip include Satu'li Canteen, Be Our Guest, Raglan Road, Coral Reef, Garden Grill, Tusker House, and Trail's End (we stay at Fort Wilderness). Great quick service meals include Satu'li Canteen, Be Our Guest lunch, Columbia Harbour House, Flame Tree BBQ, and anywhere you can get the tasty GF chicken tenders. We do like the table service restaurants a bit better just because of the many more options available that can be gluten free vs. the quick service options. We are going in February and are excited to try the gluten free churros at the Nomad Lounge in Animal Kingdom!

Does anyone have specific experience with the Plaza Ice Cream parlor on main street? I know that has been a tradition for her in the past. Anything gluten free there?

Love Tusker House , garden grill,Ohana,1900 park fare

Did you go to Garden Grill for breakfast or lunch/dinner? I'm seriously debating dropping my upcoming lunch ADR with the Disney of Broadway concert series and just chancing getting a regular seat (since apparently they are not doing AP wristbands this year but giving a 10% on the dining packages) because I'm not overly thrilled with the whole lunch menu. (Less thrilled with R&C's allergy menu, did Coral Reef last year and it was fine, but I was on the dining package so it was "just" 2 credits for the concert series dining...and don't like Biergarten anyway much less as a solo.) Breakfast would 100% be my choice, but I don't get into MCO until around 9, so there's no way I'd make it to AoA and then Epcot in time for breakfast.

Does anyone have specific experience with the Plaza Ice Cream parlor on main street? I know that has been a tradition for her in the past. Anything gluten free there?
The ice cream part or the restaurant? I've eaten at both. The ice cream parlor....I just had mine in a dish, but I can't remember what kind. The restaurant...I had them make me a club sandwich on gf bread. I can't remember what their offerings were, but they were basic sandwiches and I wanted something different than the other QS restaurants. I was sick of QS gf at that point and the waiter was fantastic in working with me to find something.

We've had amazing gluten free Mickey waffles at several resort quick service places, including Pop Century at dinner time (they're on the dinner menu at Pop and they're pure perfection!) Some of our favorite park QS gf-friendly restaurants are BOG & Pecos Bill in MK, Sunshine Seasons in Epcot, & Pizzafari in AK (they even accommodate for gf during their wonderful family-style dinner: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/animal-kingdom/pizzafari-family-style-dining/ ). I know you said QS, but 50's PTC in DHS has awesome gluten free fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gf gravy. (You have to email Disney's food services a week before, but they are delicious!) Best wishes for an amazing trip!

ETA: According to another poster, her family member was given the following meal at Pizzafari's family-style QS dinner (while everyone else ate the regular dinner items). We did this meal in October and it was an EXCELLENT QS value, plus it included a delicious mandarin cocktail:

Romaine salad w/ Balsamic Vinaigrette
Sliced Tomatoes with Balsamic Glaze and Basil
Gluten Free Pasta w/ Marinara Sauce & Chopped Parsley
Gluten Free Pizza
"Enjoy Life" Dessert Options

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter