Newbie to Onsite Hotels

Princess Merida

DIS Veteran
Trying to decide between resorts and prices are different so I'm not sure which way to go. We have never stayed on site at Universal. 2 adults 2 kids 7&12. Doing two nights three park days before Disney stay. We will be at the parks early and take afternoon pool and nap breaks as it will be August. Back to the parks in the evenings. Need the express passes so resort choices:
RPR std room is cheapest
HRH garden view additional $91
PBH garden view additional $39 (additional $130 from RPR price)

Which would you choose and why? Any advice is appreciated :)

Oh forgot to mention that RPR lobby is under construction during our visit. I'm not sure if that will factor in.

I always book RP far out when the fall prices are listed as hhn is my main reason for the trip
If I miss the water taxi from park to hotel, the walking path is less than ten minutes for me
HRH is close to the parks also

For other times in the year, usually lock in my room reservation about 4 months out

RP can have the lower rates over the other two premier hotels by booking eatly

You can’t go wrong with any of the 3 premier hotels

I have stayed at RPR before during their renovations
Wasn’t an issue for me

I would choose RPR, but to be fair, I have not stayed at the other two. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Definitely look at the stickies, recent trip reports and maps and any other info you can get.

I love the vibe at RPR. Even though it doesn't have a slide or lazy river or anything, my kids (slightly older than yours) always have a great time at the RPR pool. They always seem to meet lots of other kids and have fun volleyball games and other activities. And I also really love the pool bar! Great drinks, food, and service.

It is a very easy boat ride to the City Walk area, but we always walked. It's a nice, relaxing walk on a beautiful pathway that ends right at the bridge from City Walk to IOA. Also, the Universal water rides are all at IOA. I suggest going there in swimsuits one afternoon, riding the three water over and over, then walking back to the RPR pool. We've done that many times, and it’s always a blast! Have fun!

Last edited:

My first choice would be RPR - but would consider HRH if you want a slightly more vibrant location or if the pool slide is important to you at all. They are both an easy walk from Citywalk but HRH is a bit closer overall.

I would pick HRH or Portofino. We have stayed at both HRH and RPR. The rooms are much more spacious at both HRH and RPR and with the lobby constructions going on that would tilt my decision. We also liked the pools at HRH and PB more than RPR. Of course all three resorts are top notch!

Thank you all for your replies!! I have decided to try out Royal Pacific due to the savings. If Hard Rock prices drop maybe I will switch for the pool slide, but I think we will be fine without as we will spend a day at Volcano Bay. Good to know that RPR is not too far from the parks for walking. Thanks again!!

FYI pool hopping is 100% legal at universal, so you’ll be able to go to HRH’s pool and slide even while staying at RPR.

Are those prices additional per night or overall total additional? If its per night, I agree to stick with RPR. But if HRH is just another $91 total, I would totally switch. Its a closer walk than RPR is and we love the lively atmosphere and relaxed vibe of the whole place. It also has our favorite resort restaurant (The Kitchen), and the pool area is a fun but family friendly atmosphere as well.

We’ve stayed at all three, liked HRH best, then RPR, then PBH. We just had a run of bad luck at PBH so it’s last on our list. Staying at RPR this time. Really, I think they are all great, but when walking HRH and RPR proximity can’t be beat. When using the boats it really doesn’t matter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts