• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Newbie from Maryland

DonnaBelle2005

Mouseketeer
Hi Everyone...

I am new here...working on trying to organize some trip information to help me save for the Disney trip. I want to go with my family sometime this fall (or early Winter) and am trying to get some more information on the best places to say (more for my $$)....Working on a budget (ack!), and trying to learn a lot about the whole Disney experience.

This will be my 3rd trip to WDW...I went 20 yrs ago when I was 13, and the last time I was almost 26 (went with my ex-boyfriend and we stayed at Dixie Landing). Back then $$ wasn't really an issue, but now with two kids, and a hubby...I am trying to make it a trip that won't bankrupt us.

Any help is MUCH needed! (Also the views on staying at WDW and offsite.)

Thanks so much!
Donna (here near Baltimore, Maryland)
Mom to Andrew (5) and Rebecca (3)

Hi Donna, welcome to the DIS! :wave: Your post caught my eye, we live in Maryland too, about 25 miles south of Baltimore. :) We being myself, dh and our 3 boys who are 5, 3 and 10 months. ::MickeyMo ::MickeyMo ::MickeyMo

We're heading to WDW in a few weeks, this will be our 2nd time with the kids. Last trip was March 2003 when our older two were 3 and 17 months. We stayed at POFQ then, and this time we're splitting our stay between POFQ and AKL. We LOVE POFQ, it's the smallest moderate resort, beautiful green grounds, has the river with boatrides to POR and DTD, and a fun pool for kids. We only stay onsite, we like to be in WDW 24-7, it's part of the experience for us.

Anyway, I found the DIS a year ago, and have learned SO much about WDW here!!! I'm sure you'll find everything you need here, or someone who can steer you in the right direction. :) Have fun planning your trip, jump right in! :flower1:

Here are a few websites with tons of great info.:
The DIS main page: http://www.wdwinfo.com
Mousesavers: http://www.mousesavers.com
AllEarsNet: http://www.allearsnet.com

Welcome Donna!! :Pinkbounc

You've come to the right place. The people here are very friendly and are a wealth of infomation! I am planning a trip in Dec. for 14 members of our family. I told them that with all I'm learning at the Dis, we're not going to pay a penny more than we need to!!! The people here know every little trick!! Just jump in and start asking your qusetions. We are planning on staying at POFQ too. It will be our first stay there. Have fun planning... :D

Welcome to the Dis from another Marylander! I live in Anne Arundel County.. probably not too far from you! :) You'll find lots of great people here, as well as tons of great information!! :)
Welcome!

Same as above poster, this title caught my eye. I'm in Calvert County. My dh and our three kids just returned from Christmas in Disney. It was fantastic albeit not the most economical time to visit.

We drove which I was reluctant to try but it wasn't really bad at all. We left Md and drove to Georgia and then only had about 4 hours left the next morning. Five flights over Christmas would've been too expensive.

My dh works for the Dept of Defense so we're eligible for many discounts but for those without connections, your best bet is to save www.mousesavers.com to your favorite list as Mary (webmaster) posts all the best and latest Disney savings.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome Donna!

I've got to say that your post caught my eye as well. I'm from Delaware. We always stay onsite at Disney (we own DVC) and the last time we went we took my sister and her DH with us and if it tells you anything, my sis said now she's spoiled and won't stay anywhere else. We were just there in August and we stayed in the All Star Movies Hotel before we moved over to Old Key West for a week long stay and the price wasn't bad at all. I'm thinking $79 w/ tax and with that you are entitled to all of Disney's transportation, Early Entry into the parks and the Disney Magic :wizard: that doesn't end when you drive off site :moped: . Check out the budget boards, here on the Dis, as the swell folks :flower1: over there always have great ideas for saving money and getting ahead.

Again welcome :wave: to the dis and a funny thing I noticed about your post is you said you and an ex stayed at Dixie Landings (which it is no longer called). Well so did I and an ex but don't tell my DH! Ha~ha. ;)

Hi,I've never been to Maryland before,but saw your post and wanted to welcome you to the boards.This is a wonderful place to get info and help you plan your Disney vacation.
Have fun at the boards.
Kirsten in Nova Scotia :wizard:

This a is a great place to meet others who share a passion for all things Disney. Wonderful people.

I am in Annapolis. We (me, DH, DS15, DS9 and DD4) have been to Disney several times over the last 13yrs. DH and I went for our honeymoon in 92, Dixie's Landing(my first time). You can see in my signature the other places we have stayed. I would def recommend staying onsite but we have stayed offsite as well to be able to afford more trips. Right now we are looking in to the Disney cruise for this Sept.

Anyway welcome again and please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

this is turning into a md DIS member thread. welcome. read as much as you can. if you can't find something, ask.

Hi Donna, welcome to the Dis! :wave: I am from Pa, not far from MD border, or so I am told, just moved to a new town, Coatesville Pa. Have fun planning on our forums. Visit the budget boards for great money saving tips!

Hi everyone,

I am another newbie from Maryland (near Frederick). I am also planning a trip to Florida in the fall. We went to Disney in January of 2003 (we were there for the coldest day on record in Orlando...they had to put plastic tarps with gas heaters under them around the plants at AK to keep the plants alive...quite a site!). We were also on a budget. We stayed at a private condo at the Windsor Palms (there were 8 of us...my parents, my sister, my DH, and my 3 kids, who were 6,4, and 4 at the time). We stayed in a 3 bedroom, 2 bath condo with full kitchen....nice pool, playground, very close to Disney...for less than $700 for the week, and this INCLUDED taxes, etc. (We split the cost with my parents). It was very nice...highly recommend it if you need extra rooms/space.

Hey there DisneyDee ,noticed you're from Pa.Were also from Pa the Scranton/wilkes-barre area.Just wanted to say hello.
From,
Heidi,Haley,Samantha

Wow, never thought I would find a thread like this one. We are from Maryland, too. (Calvert County - Hi Carla :wave: ) The last trip we made was during the hurricane in August of 2004. Oh, wait, I guess I have to specify which hurricane :D The first one. We got stuck at the Orlando airport for three days. We were one of the lucky few who managed to get a hotel room at the airport. Not very economical, but at least we weren't sleeping on benches. :earboy2:

I have stayed on and off-site, and I have to say I think it is worth it to stay on site. Hope you have a great trip.

Hi! Donna
I'm new here also. I live in Bel Air Maryland. I don't know how close that is to you. I have 3 little ones ages 1, 4, 6, and we are taking them to WDW for their birthdays since they are so close. We're planning a trip this year, but are not sure when to go because the eldest is in school. I'm not sure it is a good idea taking them out of school to go on vacation. They really frown on that at her school. This past Christmas we went to Sydney, to visit my mother in law for the holidays, (my father in law passed away Oct 04'), we didn't want her to be by herself so we went. Now I'm having trouble with them wanting to hold her back a grade beacause she missed some days while we were away. What do you do. I love this website, and the people seem very informative and nice.

Hello from the eastern shore of Maryland! I just couldn't help but think I am in such good company after reading this thread. There is a ton of stuff to learn at disney especially at Epcot! Learning can be fun too. Hope you get to get in a trip soon!

Going Home in 86 days!

Susan

I'll have to add my welcome. I've been reading these boards for years now and still learning! I live in Maryland in the DC suburbs of Montgomery county.

Enjoy the planning - that is one thing I love about going to WDW! :cool1:

disney52676 said:
Hey there DisneyDee ,noticed you're from Pa.Were also from Pa the Scranton/wilkes-barre area.Just wanted to say hello.
From,
Heidi,Haley,Samantha
Hello back Disney! My neice goes to Scranton U, not sure how far from Coatesville that is, still trying to find my way around upper chester county, and dodging the horse and buggies :earseek: Couldn't believe Walmart has parking spaces for them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter