Newbie from Abroad

Opsmerlin22

Earning My Ears
Looking to purchase 1st DVC prob staying in studio or 1 bed but like to have options for expanding grandkids.

We plan to vacation every 2 years for 2 weeks during July

availability at 11 months to 8 months seems not to bad for BLT ( where we would like to stay with TP views)

But we are considering a 350 per year at Vero ... but is it better to purchase at BLT and run risk that can’t get a studio or get more points and use them at 7 months for orlando based resort prob most 1 beds

We have almost made a decision but looking to see what others think incase we haven’t considered all options
Please let m know what you think

Look at the annual dues for each resort. Vero Beach would cost you thousands more over its lifetime. I would just go with BLT due to it being a much better deal, or SSR if you are looking for the absolute cheapest.

Your savings will be eroded by the large maintenance fees of VB. And if it gets pelted by a hurricane......

If I wanted "7 month points", I would buy SSR - that way at least I know I am (almost)guaranteed something on property at 11 months. They are more expensive that VB, but cheaper MFs.

Also your 2 weeks has me concerned. While availability, particularly in a 1 bed room, is probably fine, it is too easy for 1 night to be missing, and that could easily throw a wrench into the works. (Your 2 weeks also has me jealous :) )

You should consider there is a risk that restrictions could be placed on where and how you use points. You could for example find that you can only use your points at your home resort. The old saying buy where you would b3 happy to stay makes a lot of sense.

Have you looked well at the BLT studios as they are very small. Smaller than most others.

If you want to stay at WDW buy at WDW

If you want to stay at VERO, buy there, if you want to stay at WDW buy there. I would not buy VB expecting to stay at WDW. In the long run it's the dues that cost you the most. Buy where you want to stay, book before the 7mo window open and have great trip.

You should consider there is a risk that restrictions could be placed on where and how you use points. You could for example find that you can only use your points at your home resort. The old saying buy where you would b3 happy to stay makes a lot of sense.
Do you mean if Disney change Terms and conditions as i understand it if I purchase resale from Disney there should be no restrictions?

Your savings will be eroded by the large maintenance fees of VB. And if it gets pelted by a hurricane......

If I wanted "7 month points", I would buy SSR - that way at least I know I am (almost)guaranteed something on property at 11 months. They are more expensive that VB, but cheaper MFs.

Also your 2 weeks has me concerned. While availability, particularly in a 1 bed room, is probably fine, it is too easy for 1 night to be missing, and that could easily throw a wrench into the works. (Your 2 weeks also has me jealous :) )
Yes unfortunately not worth staying for less than 2 weeks especially travelling from UK a split stay won’t bother us too much if we needed 1 week here and 1’week there

One consideration, since you mentioned "grandkids", is the length of the contract that you are buying. Following is the list of end dates.

If you don't think you will be passing on your contracts to a family member, you might look at one of the 2042 Resorts, specifically Boulder Ridge right now. The resale prices are lower than SSR or OKW right now, and is close to MK (if DVC decides to end their grandfathering of trading out at the 7 months). I haven't stayed there, but we put up my In-Laws there for a weekend, and I thought it was a very nice resort. It has some very loyal owners, that absolutely love the resort and can be found in the Resort Thread.

I would stay away from Vero, if you want a WDW resort. Maintenance fees will eat up any savings from the initial purchase that you make in a few years.

On a side note, I'm sure your Grandkids will love any of the resorts that their Grandparents will them to. I have really enjoyed being able to have my folks (Grammie & Papa) along for our adventures at WDW with my children.

Take your time and read through a lot of the DVC threads before your purchase, and consider all the options.

Do you mean if Disney change Terms and conditions as i understand it if I purchase resale from Disney there should be no restrictions?

If I remember correctly in the DVC title deeds Disney has the right if they choose to restrict point use to home resort only. I don think they would do this, but they could.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!