Newbie DLP - lots of questions!

scrappinmom

WDW, DL & DLP - up next ???
Hi all - We (myself 52, dd23, 7 dd18) are traveling to Paris May 27-Jun 8. My youngest daughter has spine issues so we are not moving hotels once we get her settled in. That means we will be taking the train from Paris to DLP. Which is fine, we have stayed offsite plenty of times at WDW & are fine with it. I do have several questions I am hoping you can help me with. We are planning 2-3 days, not consecutive - my daughter will need a day in between days 1 & 2 I am sure.

1) My dd uses a wheelchair for mobility issues. We will be bringing one with us. Now at WDW she doesn't qualify or need any additional "pass" we just use the wheelchair return times when needed. Is that the same for DLP? I've been reading & it looks like we need some sort of disability card from her dr? What the heck is that?
2) Characters - I am an avid user of Kenny The Pirate & his character hunting guide. Is there anything similar for DLP? If not, is there a list somewhere of which characters are where? Can I access this before we arrive.
3) FP? Like the traditional paper FP system? Obtain upon arrival? Unlike WDW I don't think I'll be sending oldest dd as a runner since we're so unfamiliar with the parks. Do all rides have a FP or is there only certain ones?
4) Character dining? We love character dining at WDW, does it work the same? I see that ADR's are only by phone 60 days out. Is there a list of which characters are at which locations?

I think that's all for now. I haven't quite decided when in our 11 days we will go to DLP. I am working on a few other things - Versailles, chateau tours, maybe perfume making....so it may depend on how that all shakes out.

thank you :)

1- The disability card is a letter from your Dr dated within a few weeks before you travel stating what your daughter's issues are and how they will affect her in the park. You then need to take this to City Hall or guest services in the studio when you arrive and they will issue her with a green card/orange card (I think green is for permanent disabilities and orange for temporary) - the CM there will then explain what you need to do at each ride and if there are any restrictions to what she cannot ride

2- When you enter the park you can pick up a weekly schedule where the characters and locations will be listed for that week. You often find random characters through the park as well not listed on the schedule

3- Fast pass is the old paper system where you put your ticket in the machine and collect a pass. Not all rides have them.
Off the top of my head you have
Disneyland park -
Thunder Mountain
Peter Pan
Space Mountain
Buzz
Indiana Jones (roller coaster)
Star Tours?

Studios -
Ratatouille
Flying Carpets
Tower of Terror
Rock and roller coaster

4- Most character meals tend to have the top 5 now (Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy, Donald) with a few others thrown in occasionally

Have a look at this website as theres a lot is useful information

http://www.dlpguide.com/

Also check this website if you havent done already for information on using the metro/RER in Paris. Some stations have a lot of steps and there is not always a lift so not always wheel chair friendly. Ive never checked but Im sure there will be something on that site about wheelchair accessibility

https://parisbytrain.com/paris-metro/

DH and I are heading to Paris and DLP in about 8 weeks, originally we thought about staying put in Paris and traveling back and forth... But then we decided to spend 5 nights in Paris and then 3 nights at DLP.... for a couple of reason.

Its like around a 45 + minute ride from Paris to DLP depending on where you are staying, we did not want to give up that time, and a ride that long at the end of the day back into Paris just did not seem appealing to us.

We like to go back to the resort and take a break... before dinner, fireworks and some night time exploring.

We really wanted to spend some time enjoying and soaking up the parks... we are not commando style park goer's

I did a bunch of research and asked a lot of question on here and I am still asking more questions:D... When booking a resort your park tickets are included (PH)... plus there are a lot of different sites, I booked through the DLP UK site, and got 25% off my room as well as free half board plus( sorta like dinning plan). We are staying at Newport Bay, in a Compass Club Lakeview room, to upgrade to Club level it was like only 200.00 more which included club room, tickets, and half board plus... Call WDW and asked to be transferred to DLP and make sure to ask for a CM that speaks English... You might have to try a couple of times but it will save you a international call. I booked with my Amex card as they don't charge a fee for the conversion from pounds to dollars.

You might want to check out the websites... I was really surprised at the cost of meals... I started doing the conversion from euro's to dollars and it does add up quickly...

Good luck with whatever you decide... Pixie dust away... pixiedust:

Thanks everyone! We have gone back & forth with staying onsite or not. The biggest issue is that the place we are staying in paris is absolutely perfect. The only resort that really appeals to me is the Disneyland Resort & I can't afford that! lol I will have to read up on the handicap accessibility of the RER/Metro. We were planning on not using it for most of our actual paris touring, but I thought we'd be ok for Disney. Will this letter signed by the dr work for the disability?

Name: XXX

Diagnosis: Ankylosing Spondylitis

Extent of Disability: Functional limitations in walking, standing and sitting as tolerated daily. May participate in activities as tolerated.

Limitations: Walking for any distance, sitting or standing for extended periods of time.

Duration of disability

Start Date: November 2017 End Date: None, chronic permanent

LovesTimone - thanks - We are more commando park goers so that's part of the reason I choose not not move hotels from Paris. Because we only have 2 or 3 days I am pretty sure there will be no breaks allowed (just half joking). I am still debating on it though & change my mind about every 3 minutes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter