Newbie Canuck trying to figure DVC stuff out

dizzygirlz

Earning My Ears
Hi friends,

I am a BC mom with kids (5 and 8) and I want to do as much Disney time as we can before they are grown and gone...so in my hunt for ways to make it affordable (ha ha ha), I’ve learned about DVC rentals.

It seems the biggest issue with DVC is booking/getting your travel dates?

I know we want to do Halloween 2021 at Disneyland. So there are only 71 rooms available, to start with!

Now, I understand that I need to rent a certain number of points...but I am confused about if renting those points is directly linked to a resort and date? Or if I rent the points from someone and then try to book the villa myself? Or do I have to find the person who already has that date?

It’s very confusing!

I would really appreciate help and advice or any tips with all this.

Even better...if you can rent me DVC in Disneyland for Halloween 2021, I’d love to connect with you!!?

Thanks so much,
Sarah

We've booked several times through Dave's Vacation Club Rentals (https://dvcrequest.com/). They are essentially a broker that matches those who want to rent points with those who have points to rent. They are quite good in terms of service. Their online cost calculator shows you how many points you'll need to rent for specific resorts/days. Once you know when you want to go, you submit your request, and they'll get back to you with availability. I think you have to submit a first and second (maybe third?) choice (if you are going to WDW), just in case there's no availability at your first choice resort for your specified dates.

Thank you!
I have spoken with a Dave’s Club member already...that’s a matter of waiting until 11 months before out goal dates. Which I will do, unless there are other ways to connect with an October/November use DVC member...?

Because there is only one option in California for DVC, it seems my chances of getting a booking are a lot tougher than at WDW.

"I know we want to do Halloween 2021 at Disneyland. So there are only 71 rooms available, to start with!"
Correct the only DVC resort for Disneyland is the Grand Californian .

You would not be renting points but having a DVC member use their points to book the reservation,,I also recommend using David DVC rental vacations. Keep in mind the reservation is controlled by the DVC member
that makes your reservation. At Least with David's rental they have some experience in checking to see if a person truly is a member and they hold back funds until the person checks in.

Keep in mind that a confirmed reservation via a DVC member is final and no cancellation once booked is possible.

I personally would not try finding someone to make this reservation for me as too many people have been scammed out of money trying this,,although there are some who have done it successfully. Keep in mind that DVC or Disney will not intervene on your behalf should anything go wrong in the transaction between you and a private renter.

You can always try reading up on DVC rentals on the DVC threads here on the boards.

Best wishes
Mel
https://www.disboards.com/threads/renting-dvc-points-grand-californian-question.3776199/https://www.disboards.com/threads/thinking-about-renting-points-how-to-not-get-scammed.3772680/
https://www.disboards.com/threads/dvc-rentals-or-davids.3779863/https://www.disboards.com/threads/dvc-rentals.3768242/

Last edited:

Mel is spot on for the DVC portion. be prepared to spend $18-$20 per point and 141points for a studio or 291 for a 1 bdrm. These could change by a few points depending on the days and this is for 7nights.
Now there are many hotels very close to DL that would be even cheaper. So lots of research to still do.

11 months out is the earliest a DVC member is able to book at their home resort. The earliest a member can book at a resort that is not their home resort is 7 months out.

It is not possible to book DVC rooms sooner than whichever of these timeframes apply to the points being used.

SW

Renting DVC for California will not save you money unless you already planned to stay at the Grand Californian. There are a ton of budget hotels/motels that will be cheaper. I suggest you check out the threads on the Disneyland boards that talk about how to choose a hotel

Hi friends,

I am a BC mom with kids (5 and 8) and I want to do as much Disney time as we can before they are grown and gone...so in my hunt for ways to make it affordable (ha ha ha), I’ve learned about DVC rentals.

It seems the biggest issue with DVC is booking/getting your travel dates?

I know we want to do Halloween 2021 at Disneyland. So there are only 71 rooms available, to start with!

Now, I understand that I need to rent a certain number of points...but I am confused about if renting those points is directly linked to a resort and date? Or if I rent the points from someone and then try to book the villa myself? Or do I have to find the person who already has that date?

It’s very confusing!

I would really appreciate help and advice or any tips with all this.

Even better...if you can rent me DVC in Disneyland for Halloween 2021, I’d love to connect with you!!?

Thanks so much,
Sarah

If you rent DVC points, you can book a Disney Resort Deluxe Resort studio room for the cost of a Moderate resort. What’s more, is that these discounts are available year-round, so you can book your trip in advance and know you are getting a great deal!
For example, a Studio room (that sleeps five) at Beach Club Villas for one night in August 2020 costs $542.25 USD. That same room with a Disney Promotion discount of 25% off would cost $460.92 USD. However, that same room booked as a DVC rental costs $288 USD per night! ( I wrote a little more about my experience renting DVC points here: https://www.maplemickeyears.com/post/disney-resort-savings-rent-dvc-points

Renting DVC for California will not save you money unless you already planned to stay at the Grand Californian. There are a ton of budget hotels/motels that will be cheaper. I suggest you check out the threads on the Disneyland boards that talk about how to choose a hotel
I agree with this. There is much less advantage to staying on-site at DLR compared to WDW, as there are many motels within minutes of the park by foot. The only real advantage is the extra hour every morning. That said, we have stayed at the Grand Californian several times and there is something to be said about walking out of your hotel right into DCA.

Renting DVC there will be difficult however, as there are few rooms available, and unless there is an owner there willing to put their points up, you probably won't be successful. Although any DVC owner who owns at another resort can book there at 7 months, at that point in time, most of the rooms are already booked up.

I just rented points for the first time with David’s because I usually stay at a moderate Disney hotel and renting DVC points allows me to stay at a Deluxe hotel at about the same price. However, if you want to save money at DLR, there are many other choices since unlike WDW, DLR is close to many non-Disney hotels. If you set your mind on staying at Grand Californian, you should consider renting through a rental company. Since this is my first time renting points, I would not want to deal with a DVC member directly myself. David’s has an easy renting process and I am glad that I rented points with them. If you want to rent directly yourself, please make sure you read the links posted in PP to make sure you understand the process and take the necessary precautions to avoid frauds.

We did DL this summer prior to being able to use our DVC .. honestly it’s all walkable and the motels/hotels are so reasonable .. and then you have more money to spend in DL or to go back . I think we paid only $120 usd a night and mind you it was basic but the best free breakfast I’ve ever had .
we can’t wait to go back . We have WDW booked this summer and our next trip will be back to DL ( maybe use our nights maybe not )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter