Newbie (Any cons to renting points?)

PCH11

Earning My Ears
Sorry for the newbie post but I recently stumbled upon the DVC point rental idea so I’m in the process of learning more. What would you all say the biggest drawbacks are to renting points? So far I have:
1) no housekeeping for short stays
2) no cancellations if plans change

I’m usually skeptical when something seems this good which is why I’m doing my due dilligence. Thanks!

Patrick

Studios also don't have 2 queen beds...instead of the 2nd queen there will be a pullout couch (works for some, doesn't for others).

Studios also don't have 2 queen beds...instead of the 2nd queen there will be a pullout couch (works for some, doesn't for others).
Do the 1 bedroom suites come with 2 queens? Do the pullouts come with linens? Thanks.

Do the 1 bedroom suites come with 2 queens? Do the pullouts come with linens? Thanks.
No the 1 bedrooms do not have 2 queens. They will have a king in the master and a pullout in the living room. Yes, there are lines for the pullouts. My daughter (13) says they're fine...not great but not horrible. She does prefer the murphy beds available in a few of the studios.

The reason renting DVC points is much cheaper than paying cash for a hotel room, really is the no cancellation policy that most rental brokers and DVC owners use. I’m not sure you can get insurance for renting points either, but some other Disboard members might know of companies that offer something. Most owners expect 100% paid at time of the rental which can be up to 11 months ahead of time.

The other things to consider are that you'll potentially have to plan more than 11 months in advance, and there is ni guarantee that the broker will be able to match you up with an owner who has points to rent.

In general how safe is it to transact? Are there ways to validate folks you’re renting from?

Rentals from Disboard owners are generally pretty safe, as long as the owner has a few hundred posts on the forums here. You can also ask for references from other Disboarders. I know David’s DVC rental has taken care of any renter that has had an owner flake out on them, but it is very rare. I don’t know about the other rental sites.

All Studios at OKW have 2 Queen beds - but no sleep sofa.

Pull-outs at all DVC Studios will have linens.

In general how safe is it to transact? Are there ways to validate folks you’re renting from?

I've rented multiple times from different DVC rental companies and I've always had a pleasurable experience. The only downside is that you might not always be able to get the resort you want, but you would have that same problem even if you were an owner sometimes. I want to buy into DVC but it's just not feasible at the moment, so I will happily keep renting until the time comes when I can finally buy in.

The downsides to renting DVC points:
  • DVC rooms are not the same as hotel rooms
  • Cancellation policies are completely different, at best you might be able to arrange different days depending on availability or you could lose your entire payment
  • Owners typically want the entire or a large portion of the rental as the deposit
  • You typically want to book 7 months or further in advance to get the best chance of getting the room you want
  • You have no control over the reservation and until you check in the reservation can be cancelled by the point owner
  • Cleaning is not daily unless you pay for it
  • You can't get the free dining plan, you have to pay for the dining plan if you want it
The upside for all of this is a room at a deluxe resort for around 50% of the cash rate through Disney.

No cancellations doesn't just mean no cancellations - it means that if you want to move the trip by a week or two, it probably won't happen. You'll want your plans to be firm.

Check in isn't until after 4 (although we've always gotten into our room early, some people have had lousy luck and haven't gotten in until 7pm or later). There is no late checkout - you need to be out by 11am.

You will not be eligible for any deals Disney comes out with for your trip. i.e. if they offer free dining it can't be attached to a DVC reservation. If they offer a discount on park tickets with a room, it can't be gotten with a DVC reservation.

DVC does not tend to upgrade - i.e. if you book a studio you'll get a studio. Also, DVC doesn't tend to do well with room requests. In many cases, the views are inferior to what you'd get through CRO.

There are a few cases where people have been scammed. It isn't at all likely. Working through a broker will at least get you a refund in these cases, but its likely you'll have to book a cash room. Working with a private owner it would be difficult to get your money back. Again, this RARELY happens.

Slow times at Disney do not coincide with DVC. In fact, some of the slower times at Disney are actually peak time for DVC. September to January is known as Fall Frenzy and the most desirable rooms, i.e. lowest points, preferred resorts, are booked at or even before the 11 month mark. With the opening of SW's this fall the fight for studios in December has been even worse than in the past. Expect this to continue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter