New Yorker needs guidance in Disneyland/CAL PLEASE?

robin09

DIS Veteran
HI! I just love these boards! They have been helpful in having a great vacation in August to Disneyworld. So helpful that we are now planning a vacation in Disneyland in Feb. I would appreciate all the help you can give....

A little info of us.. we are a family of 3.. mom, dad and daughter age 7. She is special needs with Aspergers and Sensory problems. I just booked the air... Now I need help in what to do, where to stay and eat.

Jenna adores lilo and stitch.. and was heartbroken when she couldn't see Lilo in disneyworld.

This is the first time we have EVER been out west.... Hints please.... Legoland... seaworld.... anything? beaches....

How long do you plan to spend in CA?
Do you plan to rent a car?

In SoCal there is

In San Diego:
The San Diego Zoo
The San Diego Wild Animal Park
Legoland
Sea World
Various Beaches

In the Dinseyland area:
Disneyland/CA Adventure (DCA)
Knotts Berry Farm
Various Beaches

Depending on your lenght of stay and your daughters likes/dislikes I spending a few days in San Diego to visit the SD Zoo and Wild Animal Park (or just one) and Legoland and Sea World.

Then I would drive up to Orange County and visit Disneyland/DCA (of course) and the beach. There are many beaches within driving distance of Disneyland: Huntington Beach, Laguna Beach and Newport Beach for example. It will be to cold to go in the water though.

Be sure to have the Aloha breakfast, with Lilo & Stitch at PCH Grill in the Paradise Pier Hotel. This will be perfect for her!

If she likes the Princesses, Ariels Grotto for lunch or dinner would be perfect.

WatchinCaptKangaroo said:
How long do you plan to spend in CA?
Do you plan to rent a car?

We are going for a week.. tuesday to tuesday. I think I'm going to rent a car... Can you get around without one? What is the weather usually like in february? Are all the area things to do open? Coming from New York, nothing here is opened that time of year.. I think it is really great to be able to go somewhere out of the cold and snow that time of year!

Jenn loves animals, so how far is the zoo from disney? I'm flying into LAX.

You're better off with a car, especially if you're going to be doing other than Disney. San Diego is about 2 hours south of Anaheim, depending on traffic. Wild Animal Park is a great place to go. It's not like your typical zoo.

For hotels, there are a bunch of options, it just depends on the luxuries you are looking for. The Grand Californian would of course be my first choice, but it's kinda pricey. Paradise Pier or the Disneyland Hotel would be 2nd choice.

There are some pretty good budget hotels on Harbour Blvd right across from the main entrance. Just know it's nothing like WDW. When I say right across the street, it is literally right across the street. Maybe 50 yards and you are at the security check-point.

One place I recommend to everyone that goes to California, you gotta go to In-N-Out burger... mmmmm..... fast food just doesn't get much better! Fresh french fries (never frozen). Just... mmmm....

HTH

I have seen Lilo numerous times at Çalifornia Adventure so I'm sure your daughter will be able to see her!

If you plan on doing all that Dl resort has to offer, and build in some down time, I would plan on spending 3 days at the DLR parks.

I think Stitch hangs out in Innoventions in DL throughout the day as well. The CM's throughout the park can call on their walkie talkies to find out when she'll be there if you ask - I believe they have a schedule they can check. We have seen them both in CA ADV a few times as well, though not this last trip.
As far as where to stay - I can't recommend more highly the Candy Cane Inn if you aren't staying on-site - we love that place! Wonderful big breakfast and they have thier own shuttle. You can also walk to the park from there as well! The rooms are comfy and clean - and quiet!
Definately plan 3 days at DL and CA ADV - they pack a lot into the 2 parks! And the weather there will be wonderful in Feb. Think early spring. You may get some rain - but not the rainy season yet. It will get cold on some days - so pack layers - hit or miss kind of weather. Not tropical like WDW, though.
She's still a great age for Legoland - they say after about age 9 they start to grow out of it - but 7 is perfect! If she adores animals like my son does - I would highly recommend either the San Diego Zoo, Wild Animal Park - or both! Spend a couple of nights down there to see it all - San Diego is a beautiful city - but I really don't know the hotels there. That's about a 3 hour drive from LA - but if you stay there a day or two - no biggie.
Does her aspergers make standing in line difficult for her? - my nephew's is pretty mild - he does fine at the parks as long as he gets breaks. I would recommend calling DL and asking if City Hall still gives out the special line passes for children with special needs - if she starts having problems, the CM's can be very accomodating. I believe you need to take a dr's note with you. Did you do anything like that at WDW?
Have a great time! :flower:

If you do not plan to stay at one of the Disney hotels (it is more fun and really nice to do so but also more expensive) here is an ariel view of the area with some of themotels. They are located just across the street and the walk is easy. Our favorites are The Howard Johnson, The Best Western Park Place Inn The Candy Cane (not shown on the map but it is close and nice www.candycaneinn.net) and the Park Inn. These are all 5-10 minute walk from your room to the front gates of the parks.
http://www.beachcalifornia.com/dlmp.html

AFMom said:
I think Stitch hangs out in Innoventions in DL throughout the day as well. The CM's throughout the park can call on their walkie talkies to find out when she'll be there if you ask - I believe they have a schedule they can check. We have seen them both in CA ADV a few times as well, though not this last trip.
As far as where to stay - I can't recommend more highly the Candy Cane Inn if you aren't staying on-site - we love that place! Wonderful big breakfast and they have thier own shuttle. You can also walk to the park from there as well! The rooms are comfy and clean - and quiet!
Definately plan 3 days at DL and CA ADV - they pack a lot into the 2 parks! And the weather there will be wonderful in Feb. Think early spring. You may get some rain - but not the rainy season yet. It will get cold on some days - so pack layers - hit or miss kind of weather. Not tropical like WDW, though.
She's still a great age for Legoland - they say after about age 9 they start to grow out of it - but 7 is perfect! If she adores animals like my son does - I would highly recommend either the San Diego Zoo, Wild Animal Park - or both! Spend a couple of nights down there to see it all - San Diego is a beautiful city - but I really don't know the hotels there. That's about a 3 hour drive from LA - but if you stay there a day or two - no biggie.
Does her aspergers make standing in line difficult for her? - my nephew's is pretty mild - he does fine at the parks as long as he gets breaks. I would recommend calling DL and asking if City Hall still gives out the special line passes for children with special needs - if she starts having problems, the CM's can be very accomodating. I believe you need to take a dr's note with you. Did you do anything like that at WDW?

Hi! thanks for all the info... I'm really interested in the candy cane Inn I think! Reading great reviews on that one! I'm toying with staying in San Diego for 2 or 3 nights. I'm glad the weather is nice that time of year! Coming from the catskill Mountains in New York, it will probably feel like summer to me!

As for Jenn's aspergers, , Yes it certainly gets in the way for her with lines. DisneyWorld was great about it, and we didn't need the dr's note, they just gave us a pass that we were able to use when needed! We only do 3 hours at a time in the park, and that's with breaks.. she really can't tolerate much more. Jenn definitely adores animals (sometimes I think more than people), so the San Diego Zoo is definitely on my list of things to see!

You shouldn't need a doctors note. Just stop by City Hall (It'll be on you left after you enter the park) for a guest assistance card.

robin09 said:
We are going for a week.. tuesday to tuesday. I think I'm going to rent a car... Can you get around without one? What is the weather usually like in february? Are all the area things to do open? Coming from New York, nothing here is opened that time of year.. I think it is really great to be able to go somewhere out of the cold and snow that time of year!

Jenn loves animals, so how far is the zoo from disney? I'm flying into LAX.

I am guessing you are also flying out of LAX.

Being February all parks will have shorter operating hours and smaller crowds. Everything is open here.

7 days I would suggest the following:

Drive to Anaheim, go to Disneyland/DCA for 2 days.
Take a day and drive to San Diego to visit the San Diego Zoo and the Wild Animal Park. Both could be done in 1 day but you may want to get a room down there and visit one on day 3 and one on day 4 (you may even be done by early afternoon). You can also visit Sea World while you are in San Diego which would take another day.
Drive back up to Anaheim and visit Disneyland/DCA and a beach if you want to see the Pacific for the reamining 3-4 days. If you do go to Sea World there are several beaches close by that you could visit too.

You may want to look into the City Pass. I know it's a good deal for people who want to visit multiple parks.

The weather can be hot, cold (for us), sunny or rainy. And it can be all of the above in the same day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter