New York port transfers

tigger334

Mouseketeer
Is there a way to fly into New York the day of the cruise and get to the port in time? We did this n our first cruise out of Port Canaveral. Is the DCL transfer the same in New York? I can't find anything on the transfers out of New York. Thanks!

From the DCL website :

‘Ground transfers from John F. Kennedy International Airport or LaGuardia International Airport to the Port of New York are available for purchase.

Upon arrival at the John F. Kennedy International Airport or LaGuardia International Airport, go directly to baggage claim where you will pick up your luggage. A Disney Cruise Line Representative will be available outside the Baggage Claim area to direct you to your designated transportation. Transportation may include a motor coach, minibus or taxi, depending on arrival time and party size.

Latest arrival time to John F. Kennedy International Airport or LaGuardia International Airport on Embarkation Day: 1:30 PM‘

In my experience, you should never plan on flying on embarkation day. Any incident on either end can mean the cancellation of your trip.

From the DCL website :

‘Ground transfers from John F. Kennedy International Airport or LaGuardia International Airport to the Port of New York are available for purchase.

Upon arrival at the John F. Kennedy International Airport or LaGuardia International Airport, go directly to baggage claim where you will pick up your luggage. A Disney Cruise Line Representative will be available outside the Baggage Claim area to direct you to your designated transportation. Transportation may include a motor coach, minibus or taxi, depending on arrival time and party size.

Latest arrival time to John F. Kennedy International Airport or LaGuardia International Airport on Embarkation Day: 1:30 PM‘

In my experience, you should never plan on flying on embarkation day. Any incident on either end can mean the cancellation of your trip.

This.

Also, 1:30 seems VERY late - especially considering the absolute mess LaGuadia is right now (and JFK has its own construction as well - not as extensive, but still).

I’m guessing DCL has not updated that time to take the construction debacle (and it truly is - ony last trip where I had to go out of LGA (just, don’t If you can help it), I spent the night at a hotel 5 minutes away and took the 4am shuttle on a Saturday morning...50 minutes after pick up on what should have been 5 minutes tops we were getting off the shuttle. THAT is a debacle.) into account.

I agree, I have read numerous reports on multiple message boards about what a disaster LaGuardia is right now. I would use Newark or JFK instead.

NYC traffic seems to be bad all the time, take that into consideration.

Agreed. That's why I am shocked that they ever had a flight landing by 1:30 as acceptable.

As someone who lives here, I would say 11am AT THE LATEST. But really, just come in the night before!

So, @Dug720, a question for you since you are in NY and I've never been there. We are ending in New York in September from our WBTA cruise. We have 11:00 reservations for the Statue of Liberty and a 6:10 flight out of LGA. Do you think we can do it?

So, @Dug720, a question for you since you are in NY and I've never been there. We are ending in New York in September from our WBTA cruise. We have 11:00 reservations for the Statue of Liberty and a 6:10 flight out of LGA. Do you think we can do it?

The Statue should not be a problem. Depending on how long you take getting there, seeing it, and getting back to Battery Park...it could be VERY tight to get to LGA. Best case you’re 45 minutes from Battery Park to LGA - but that assumes no traffic or construction. I would plan to be back to Battery Park and in a cab or Lyft no later than 3pm. And take extra pixie dust.

The Statue should not be a problem. Depending on how long you take getting there, seeing it, and getting back to Battery Park...it could be VERY tight to get to LGA. Best case you’re 45 minutes from Battery Park to LGA - but that assumes no traffic or construction. I would plan to be back to Battery Park and in a cab or Lyft no later than 3pm. And take extra pixie dust.
Thanks! We probably won't spend forever at the statue and we don't plan on doing Ellis Island, so we shouldn't be over there too long. How long is the bad constructions supposed to be going on at LGA?

Thanks! We probably won't spend forever at the statue and we don't plan on doing Ellis Island, so we shouldn't be over there too long. How long is the bad constructions supposed to be going on at LGA?

Years. The first estimates I have seen say that it is “scheduled” to be finished sometime in 2022. But we are still waiting on the 2nd Ave subway which is open for about 5 stations and has been going on for YEARS beyond projections. So no one is holding their breath that LGA will be done remotely on time.

Agreed. That's why I am shocked that they ever had a flight landing by 1:30 as acceptable.

As someone who lives here, I would say 11am AT THE LATEST. But really, just come in the night before!

Yes, fly in the night before. It takes a lot of wear and tear on a vacation when you are delayed and panicking about making the ship.

Case in point: We were on Amtrak in 2017 and there was a couple from the UK who were sailing out of NYC that afternoon. They decided to take the train from Florida to NYC same day -- and we were delayed by six hours. We didn't arrive into Philly until after 3 p.m. and they had a 4 p.m. onboard deadline. So I'm going to say they didn't make it and we kept hearing them pacing the hallways very distraught and complaining. No way to start a cruise.

Last edited:

I just want to point out for planning purposes that getting the ferry out to Liberty Island ( Statue of Liberty) can take quite a while. You have to first wait in line to board a ferry (yes even with reservations) and you have to go through security screenings. With an 11am ferry only reservation (not a time slot for the crown, etc) I would arrive no later to Battery park than 10:30am.

Also note that your return ferry from Liberty Island, will stop at Ellis Island, there is no direct route. You won't have to get off, but it does take a few extra minutes to unload/load to continue back to Battery Park. I understand time is an issue, but if you have a chance, even just a walk up in the main second floor screening room of Ellis Island can be worth a few minutes. I love Ellis Island a lot more than Liberty Island. You can really feel the history that walked through those halls.

I just want to point out for planning purposes that getting the ferry out to Liberty Island ( Statue of Liberty) can take quite a while. You have to first wait in line to board a ferry (yes even with reservations) and you have to go through security screenings. With an 11am ferry only reservation (not a time slot for the crown, etc) I would arrive no later to Battery park than 10:30am.

Also note that your return ferry from Liberty Island, will stop at Ellis Island, there is no direct route. You won't have to get off, but it does take a few extra minutes to unload/load to continue back to Battery Park. I understand time is an issue, but if you have a chance, even just a walk up in the main second floor screening room of Ellis Island can be worth a few minutes. I love Ellis Island a lot more than Liberty Island. You can really feel the history that walked through those halls.
Thank you. Actually we have 11:00 Crown reservations. We plan to get off the ship, drop our luggage at a place nearby that will hold it, and head straight to the ferry. If we think we have time, we may get off at Ellis Island, but we'll see how things go that day. Unfortunately, we can't spend any more time in NY, so we'll just have to go back another time to see everything else.

Thank you. Actually we have 11:00 Crown reservations. We plan to get off the ship, drop our luggage at a place nearby that will hold it, and head straight to the ferry.

That is the best possible plan. I would plan to arrive at Battery Park no later than 9:30am. That will give you enough time to actually get on a ferry(plan for 30 minutes but it can be less or more depending on crowds that day), take the ferry over (about 15 minutes) and still have a few minutes to walk around the Statue before ascending to the Crown. To get back to Battery Park I would give yourselves 30 minutes for the ferry/pick up stop at Ellis. All I can say is please give yourselves enough time to get back to your luggage storage and the airport. NYC traffic can suddenly turn nasty and what should take 45 minutes will take 3 hours. (Wish I was joking....)

You might want to consider public transportation from the statue/Battery Park area to LGA. You can take the 4 train to Grand Central and transfer to the eastbound 7 train. Get off at Jackson Heights and take the Q70 bus to airport. Takes 45 minutes total, might be more reliable time-wise than a taxi. Or, if you're like me and you hate buses but am fine with the subway, you could take an Uber from Jackson Heights to the airport instead of the bus, as it's about 3 miles away. Also I would leave your bags by Battery Park - www.bagbnb.com has two locations down there - that way you don't have to backtrack to the pier for your luggage before going to LGA.

You might want to consider public transportation from the statue/Battery Park area to LGA. You can take the 4 train to Grand Central and transfer to the eastbound 7 train. Get off at Jackson Heights and take the Q70 bus to airport. Takes 45 minutes total, might be more reliable time-wise than a taxi. Or, if you're like me and you hate buses but am fine with the subway, you could take an Uber from Jackson Heights to the airport instead of the bus, as it's about 3 miles away. Also I would leave your bags by Battery Park - www.bagbnb.com has two locations down there - that way you don't have to backtrack to the pier for your luggage before going to LGA.

Storing your bags at Battery Park so you don't have to backtrack is good advice. But if it's a lot of luggage and you don't want to deal with stairs with public transport, take a taxi/Uber from Battery Park and tell them to take the Williamsburg Bridge, that should save you a good deal of time versus having to cross midtown from the cruise ship pier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!