New York City help

Actually, yeah, more info on your son's interests might help a bit too. Such as, it's baseball season so if you wanted to catch a game, you could likely do that. What kind of food/treats do you both like? What kind of activities does he enjoy?

We stayed at the Doubletree in Times Square and it was amazing. The room was huge by NYC hotel standards and we loved being right in Times Square.

If you get a chance to purchase the tickets as soon as they become available that morning, they are still face value prices though. Once people scoop up all the tickets, that’s when the prices go up because people are just reselling the ones they just bought. (Tickets are still pretty expensive at face value though - is it @ $225 for orchestra now?)

I was looking at tickets on Broadway.com. I didn't think it was possible to resell tickets through there. Maybe I was wrong. The official Broadway.com for Hamilton says "by tickets from $350". I jumped through a bunch of random dates from here till May and the cheapest was still $375.

Tickets for Wicked start at $89 for OP. More budget friendly and an amazing show!

I was looking at tickets on Broadway.com. I didn't think it was possible to resell tickets through there. Maybe I was wrong. The official Broadway.com for Hamilton says "by tickets from $350". I jumped through a bunch of random dates from here till May and the cheapest was still $375.

Tickets for Wicked start at $89 for OP. More budget friendly and an amazing show!
You know, I never look for tx at broadway.com because the fees are insane. But I always thought that they were ticket resales, like the way Ticketmaster does.

And yes, Wicked is amazing and much more affordable.

Wow... so many more things to consider. So if I were to consider the following things priority, would it be possible to get them in a full three day trip, and how best to group them?

Time Square/Broadway (Wicked would also be a great option)
Staten Island Ferry (want to see SOL, not go in)
9/11 memorial/museum
St Patricks Cathedral
Empire State Building
Central Park
I thought you wanted to see Ellis Island? I highly recommend it, plus going into the SOL, even just the pedestal, gives amazing views of NYC, plus there is a small museum inside.

I was born and live in nyc and can say the easiest thing would be to divide up your interests by area. Know the subway system before you go and how to get a metro card if you plan on using that as transportation. I recommend doing a broadway show the night you want to see Times Square because there isn't much to do there. Phantom is a favorite of mine but if you can score Hamilton tickets, go for it! Definitely go to a museum, my favorite is the MoMa or the MET. A lot of tourists stay in midtown but I've never stayed in a hotel in the city so I can't say much about it. If you like history, Fraunces Tavern in the financial district is a really cool restaurant and museum that you could possible stop in on your way to Ellis Island/ Statue of Liberty.
Good Luck!

I thought you wanted to see Ellis Island? I highly recommend it, plus going into the SOL, even just the pedestal, gives amazing views of NYC, plus there is a small museum inside.
I think the OP prioritized her sights and attractions and thus cut out some places she asked of earlier. For a 3 day trip which really means only one full day I'd bypass stepping on the island and get my pictures and view from the free (and frequently running) Staten Island ferry.

I think the OP prioritized her sights and attractions and thus cut out some places she asked of earlier. For a 3 day trip which really means only one full day I'd bypass stepping on the island and get my pictures and view from the free (and frequently running) Staten Island ferry.

I believe she said that the trip is three full days, and four nights, so there is plenty of time to do plenty of things.

Venturing out of my Disney comfort zone and wanting to take my son to New York City for his 13th birthday) end of June 2019). I have no idea of the layout of NYC. We are from small town Indiana with Indianapolis being our "big city."

I don't know where to start.

I know we want to go to three full days, four nights, and one of those to encompass June 29th. I want to see Time Square, 9/11 museum, Ellis Island, Central Park, and a Broadway show. Also would love any suggestions of must sees.

What I need is to know where best to stay, specifically what area, and hotel suggestions. I have Hilton points to use but don't have to use. Also, how do we divide up our days? What locations are close to each other and can be fit in the same day?

I just need help figuring out where to start.

I believe she said that the trip is three full days, and four nights, so there is plenty of time to do plenty of things.

You're right! I still wouldn't step foot on the island if I wasn't going to Ellis Island but that's just me;). Haven't been there since 6th grade and I need to hold on to my NYC street creds :lmao:.
Let's see what she says about her son's wants when she returns to the thread:).

You're right! I still wouldn't step foot on the island if I wasn't going to Ellis Island but that's just me;). Haven't been there since 6th grade and I need to hold on to my NYC street creds :lmao:.
Let's see what she says about her son's wants when she returns to the thread:).
I’ve lived 10 miles outside of manhattan most of my life, my mom and family were from Jersey City, NJ, my grandparents went there after their trips from Ireland to Ellis Island. I remember going there as a kid, before the renovations, it was eerie and fascinating, even back then. This summer, my family wanted to go to the crown, I’ve never ever bothered getting off at the SOL, but I’m so glad I finally did! Going from the heat and crowds into the base and pedestal was a great experience! It’s really nice in there, with an interesting museum, including the original hand and flame. I have some great pictures of one World Trade Center, and the following week took pictures of the SOL from the observatory (we used to go to dinner at Windows on the World when I was a kid at the World Trade Center, brought back memories).

Former NYer here. He might like the Museum of Natural History and the Planeterium. If he’s into trains, he might like the NYC subway museum. You can always venture out to Coney Island and ride the cyclone and visit the aquarium if that’s your thing. Ellis Island is really neat and I remember liking it a lot because my great grandfather immigrated through there.
If he’s into sports, catching a Met or Yankee game is always fun.

Actually, yeah, more info on your son's interests might help a bit too. Such as, it's baseball season so if you wanted to catch a game, you could likely do that. What kind of food/treats do you both like? What kind of activities does he enjoy?

Youtube. Comic con type stuff. Comedy. Not into sports and very little interest in history or museums. He is very much a cheeseburger and fry kid. He would love a great comedy show that is teen friendly.

In regards to the other discussion, SOL vs ferry vs Ellis Island. I am sadly going to admit I don't know much about all of that. I really want to see SOL, going up to or in is optional given time, cost and availability of tickets.

I do think we would prefer Wicked or Frozen as opposed to Hamilton.

Anyone have a good website about the subway system? Is there a website one can put in a starting point and end point that would give what subway to take?

Hmm, he might enjoy the NBC Tour! When you're lucky, you get to pop your head into the SNL studios and sometimes they are working/rehearsing at that time.
http://www.thetouratnbcstudios.com

Plus, Top of the Rock is at the same location, so if you're only doing Empire State Building for the views, Top of the Rock would get you the same result, and some say it's even better because you can SEE the Empire State Building from there. He'd probably also love a visit to Midtown Comics, which is in the Times Square area. Sounds like he'd enjoy Shake Shack too, and there's multiple locations around the city with the most famous being in Madison Square Park in the Flatiron District, another nice place to see.

As for the subway, Google Maps actually incorporates subway directions into their options, so that is one way and will probably be the most user-friendly. Another is CityMapper, which also helps you know which trains are at which stations and when trains are arriving. The MTA site (http://web.mta.info/nyct/subway/) will also help with information about each line and any changes to service. You'll also find that most New Yorkers are helpful if you need to ask for directions!

I’ve lived 10 miles outside of manhattan most of my life, my mom and family were from Jersey City, NJ, my grandparents went there after their trips from Ireland to Ellis Island. I remember going there as a kid, before the renovations, it was eerie and fascinating, even back then. This summer, my family wanted to go to the crown, I’ve never ever bothered getting off at the SOL, but I’m so glad I finally did! Going from the heat and crowds into the base and pedestal was a great experience! It’s really nice in there, with an interesting museum, including the original hand and flame. I have some great pictures of one World Trade Center, and the following week took pictures of the SOL from the observatory (we used to go to dinner at Windows on the World when I was a kid at the World Trade Center, brought back memories).

And now Jersey owns parts of Ellis Island and some of the other:D. When I was a little girl (the last time I walked up to the arm (crown was closed then) there was no elevator access at all and I nevah forgot that even though we lived in a 4th floor walk up at the time, LOL. I'm sure it's nice inside but well guess I just will not do it again in this lifetime; saving my foot work for the Washington Monument;). I used to work at the hotel (the Vista) that was between 1 and 2 WTC and frequently ate at Windows of the World since every other year the NYC Concierges' Ball was held there. Refused to go to the observation decks (height phobia) but loved getting dressed up to eat at the restaurant:).

Youtube. Comic con type stuff. Comedy. Not into sports and very little interest in history or museums. He is very much a cheeseburger and fry kid. He would love a great comedy show that is teen friendly.

In regards to the other discussion, SOL vs ferry vs Ellis Island. I am sadly going to admit I don't know much about all of that. I really want to see SOL, going up to or in is optional given time, cost and availability of tickets.

Anyone have a good website about the subway system? Is there a website one can put in a starting point and end point that would give what subway to take?

http://tripplanner.mta.info/MyTrip/ui_web/customplanner/TripPlanner.aspx

There is also an app you can use that says it gives on time data as well.

For comedy, you might want to try an improv theatre like Upright Citizens Brigade or the Magnet Theater. The shows are fun and usually cost only $5 (or free!). UCB’s shows are pretty popular though so you may have to show up early to get tickets. If he has a favorite late night show you could try to get tickets for one of the various ones that are filmed in NY (Fallon, Colbert, etc.)

Rockefeller Plaza also has a giant Nintendo Store if he’s interested in that. There’s a few large comic/collectible stores like Forbidden Planet around.

We stay at the Westins Times Square, it's location is perfect. We have been several times, and this is what we have done so far.

We have walked to the Empire state building. We did go with a tourist pass.

Walked to Central park, stopping for breakfast along the way, then spent the rest of the day touring the Met, we still have not seen everything 3 visits so far.

We have been to 911 memorial and museum, by your tickets ahead of time, don't be late for your time frame.

We did a boat tour, which was really good, the pictures of the Statue of Liberty were amazing, we got a lot of good history and some local flavor thrown in.

We have been to the Botanical Gardens which a Chihuly exhibit was going on, we planned only a couple of hours, and spend most of the day there.

We have seen, Phantom of the Opera, the Lion King, and the Rockettes Christmas show twice.

Walking in times square is an experience, to say the least. Disney store is amazing...

Check out Macy's and ride the wooden escalator...

Toured the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space museum, very interesting, and was next to the boat cruise so all in the same area.

Went to Chelsea Market and walked around and up on the highline.

China town for dumplings, and Little Italy for dinner.

We used the subway, we prefer Ubering around, the drivers take you through neighborhoods, and give you the real New Yorker's view on things...

Realize your not going to be able to see or do everything, pick out the main few things, and plan around them. You can find maps on line. As well the concierge's will have maps, and suggestion on how to get were you are going., and places to eat..

Use Uber to get into the City from the airport... We tried using a taxi once... disgusting... never again...

I actually don't suggest the 9/11 museum to tourists who are going to be in the city for a limited time. I do suggest visiting the site and the outdoor memorial, but the museum itself is very raw, especially for children. If you truly feel your trip won't be complete without visiting it, it is well done but it's not something I would opt to do myself if I were visiting the city.

We just went to NY at the beginning of October for the first time, and I have to second this.

The museum can take the air right out of you. It certainly did for us. I'm glad we did it towards the end of our trip.

For the SOL, you book here https://www.statuecruises.com/#/
The ferry leaves from battery park, goes to Ellis Island, and then the SOL (actually I’m not sure of the order, we take a ferry from NJ). The ferries just keep running, so you can stay at each island as long as you like. You book a time, we found out you can be late.

We always stay at the Warwick hotel. Its gorgeous and clean, and the price point is usually decent. Its a quick walk to Rockefeller Center and Central Park, and we also walked to Times Square which was a bit longer of a walk but doable. There is a little diner across the street for quick, easy, cheap breakfast too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!