New York Airports?

Doug McCoy

Mouseketeer
Does anyone know any airports within 2-3 hours of nyc that fly to Orlando. For cheap. I know of the NYC area airports (JFK, LGA and EWR) but those are expensive for a family for most of the year.

Not sure if these are within 2-3 hours of your home, but in NJ there are two possibilities I know of:
Trenton-Mercer airport which has Frontier flights
Atlantic City airport which has Spirit flights

Just read up on the airlines if you are unfamiliar with them. They are no-frills carriers, and there can be additional fees and charges (bags, seats, etc), and if something goes wrong, it can go very wrong. They have reviews that recommend them due to the low cost, and others who say they will never fly them again!

Philly is well within 2-3 hours of NYC, but where are you located? Lehigh Valley International Airport (PA) and Bradley International Airport (Hartford, CT) could also be options for you.

ETA: We're in Central Jersey, and Philly and Newark are our airports of choice. We've flown out of Trenton (certainly the closest), but if there's a delay or a flight is cancelled, you might have to wait until the next day for the new flight. AC is slightly better, but for the distance traveled, I'd just assume fly out of Philly. We've also done Wilmington, DE, but it has the same issues as Trenton. My sister is in South Jersey and has flow out of Baltimore (BWI) because the cost was much less than Philly.

If you use https://www.mapdevelopers.com/draw-circle-tool.php

it allows you to pick a point and it will draw a circle in a distance you choose. Not knowing exactly where you are located I picked 30 Rock in Midtown Manhattan as a starting point so you may find some of these closer or further.

I did not include those mentioned already.

Within 60 miles you get Newburg, NY. Within in 120 gets you Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. Within 150 miles is Albany and Providence. Around 180 you also get BWI and Harrisburg. SYR and BOS would just a bit over 3 hours. Also those are all in a straight line so it doesn't take in account driving routes.

Last edited:
By the way I have heard of the Islip MacAurther airport in Long Island

Tiny airport, not many airlines (SW and AA are two). But this is my favorite to fly in and out of because it is so small and not crowded. It is further from NYC than LGA or JFK.

Look into PHL, Philadelphia. EASY drive, and a pretty nice airport. I prefer it over EWR (specifically I dislike EWR Terminal A-where Jet Blue, SW, Spirit fly out of, Terminal C is ok).

Live just outside NYC in North Jersey. Have done Newburg as well as Westchester HPN as alternatives to Newark.

Flights out of smaller airports may be more expensive. If there is no competition at the airport, the airlines can set their own prices. Jetblue flies nonstop from SYR to MCO but when you see Jetblue sales they never apply to this route. Allegiant flies out of some upstate airports but they have many add on charges so don't be fooled by a price which appears cheap.

Stewart (SWF) in Newburgh
Westchester County (HPN) in White Plains

These are the two I use, but I do find NYC fares are usually cheaper than other airports. I don't know what kind of fares you are looking for, I try for anything under $300 RT, last time it was just dh and I and I think it was $240 RT each out of SWF.

We compared the low cost carries from Islip and after adding baggage fees even for carry ons it’s the same to fly JetBlue from LGA or JFK and in my opinion a more pleasant experience with TVs for every seat and two young kids =) when looking at flights it seemed Newark had reasonable prices on JetBlue but were on Long Island so not worth the drive for us

I recently bought tix on JetBlue, LGA to MCO, and while I was looking at prices and schedules, I saw a $48 flight from EWR to MCO for my same departure date, in May. It was an evening flight, btw. Despite the tempting fare, I didn't take it, for a lot of reasons, but mainly because it's far easier for me to fly out of LGA. I wanted to mention this, though, because I cannot imagine a fare cheaper than $48 from the NYC area to Orlando. At least not in 2018.

JetBlue has flash fares (you have to sign up on Twitter) and also many sales. Just get on their regular email mailing list.

Every time I check Islip it is expensive. Have gotten cheap fares out of nyc area airports. Just have to be flexible on dates. School vacation time is always expensive.

My daughter travels from MCO to ISP frequently and get excellent rates on Frontier. I always love to mention Frontier because when she had evacuations out of college near Tampa due to Hurricane Irma Frontier was the only airline where we could actually purchase a seat home all the way to California for less than $150. She frequently visits my parents on Long Island and rarely pays over $60 each way.

So all my suggestions for airports have been mentioned already but I thought I'd add in to make sure you're considering the parking/tolls/other transportation fees when comparing the numbers. I'm sure you have already, but as I'm reminded of my hubby who left the house without his phone again this morning, sometimes things fall by the wayside and I'd feel remiss if I didn't bring it up :)
Even though we're right by PHL we've flown out of BWI a couple times because parking is cheaper in Baltimore than Philly. So even with the tolls and gas, with the flight being cheaper and the parking cheaper it made sense to make the drive. Other times when I add it all together the discount on the flight was only enough to break even (or cost more) so it's not worth the hassle.

Set up tracking & alerts from Google flights dot com from all airports. It's not really the airports but the airline and frequency etc. Generally the more flights from that airport, the higher chance the flights will be cheap.

We use ACY. We can get really cheap flights on Spirit, like 23 one way. Yes you pay baggage fees but when factor all that in, it’s still cheaper. Also parking for the garage is cheaper than the larger airports and security is a breeze to get thru.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!