New Wifi - Any Feedback on this?

David Raguso

DVC Member from NYC AREA - WESTCHESTER COUNTY
I wanted to see what people thought of the new wifi service..
is there any DVC resort it hasnt launched at yet?
is it fast?
is it free?
are there any caps on data?
is it usuable all around the resort or only in certain places?
is it Apple friendly?

I was bummed I was at Saratoga a month ago and just missed this.

Using it on my iPhone now. Started at AKV; now staying at BCV. No complaints.

We were there last week and our iPhones, iPad and Macbook Air all picked up the signal in our room at both Kidani and BLT. The signal seemed pretty good at the bus stop at Kidani. I did not try at the pools or in any of the other common areas.

We stayed at the Boardwalk last week and our iPhones and iPad worked with no problems. We sat by the pool several afternoons and the iPad worked as well.

We were at BWV when the service was launched. There were some glitches the first few days but after that it worked great. We used it in the room and on the balcony and it worked well. It did not work very well for us in the hotel lobby.

They blocked Youtube initially (displayed a message saying it was blocked due to R-rated content) but it was unblocked a day or so later. Ustream worked well. I posted our upload/download speeds in the main thread on this topic.

The wired Internet in our room wasn't working well at all so it was a relief when the wireless service finally started working for us.

Looking forward to in-room wifi next trip. Typically our party has 3 computers and maybe some kind of ipod touch so it will be handy for us.:earsboy:

Used it at BLT and AKL and it worked great. No issues.

They say they are testing it. I do hope it is there to stay.

Used it at SSR last week and it was great! Even though we new about the wi-fi we still brought our router, but soon disconnected it because the wi-fi was faster. Enjoy!

We checked in on 10/15 and I tried to use the WiFi at BWV. It didn't work. Nothing loaded, it just stalled. We had our router with us, so never tried it again while there.

On 10/23 we checked into BLT and it worked just fine. I think they may have been screwing around with it still when we arrived.

We were at BWV when the service was launched. There were some glitches the first few days but after that it worked great. We used it in the room and on the balcony and it worked well. It did not work very well for us in the hotel lobby.

They blocked Youtube initially (displayed a message saying it was blocked due to R-rated content) but it was unblocked a day or so later. Ustream worked well. I posted our upload/download speeds in the main thread on this topic.

Thanks for the update on YouTube. We were also at BWV when it launched (we were picking up signal before the fliers were passed out, and thought we were getting it from the pool area) and noticed that Facebook got blocked for a few days also. I think it was unblocked by the time we left.

Just at AKV and SSR and it worked well.

It certainly took DVC long enough to implement it. I'm a long time Marriott TS owner and user and they've had free WiFi for many years.

The following is now posted on the Members' Website:

Disney Vacation Club® Resorts add Wi-Fi

Guest rooms at select Walt Disney World® Resort hotels, including all Disney Vacation Club Villas, now offer wireless Internet access for Members and Guests at no additional cost.

Wireless access previously debuted at Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort and Disney's Vero Beach Resort. That service continues to be available to Members at no additional cost.

We just got back from OKW and it worked great. At times, we had 2 laptops and and IPod going and it may slowdown a bit, but still worked.

Wait...I am leaving Friday and from what I'm reading here I can leave my wireless router home??? I didn't know this. I'm staying at Kidani. Can someone please confirm that Kidani has wifi.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter