New washer and dryer

I will say that if you buy an appliance from Lowes or Home Depot in particular, be sure and check online for other models. It may look like a big collection but they have almost nothing on the floor. You can guess why; those brands pay for the floor space because you are more likely to buy their brand or that model that way. Do your research and check online, then call and order it.

I had a front loader and hated it because if you don't meticulously wipe down the seals after washing and then leave the door open to air dry then you will end up with mold build up. I got sick of it and was never more excited to get it out and I bought a GE top loader with no electronics and just dials like my parents had when growing up. It has a big stainless steel drum and holds big loads. Clothes are clean and nothing fancy to break.
I have deferred to my wife. After 30 years of top loaders we bought a front loader. Yup, they have a double latch so you can let them air out to avoid mold, and it takes 5 seconds to wipe down the seal. But they clothes come out so much cleaner, and practically dry when they come out of the washer.

I have deferred to my wife. After 30 years of top loaders we bought a front loader. Yup, they have a double latch so you can let them air out to avoid mold, and it takes 5 seconds to wipe down the seal. But they clothes come out so much cleaner, and practically dry when they come out of the washer.
We will just have to agree to disagree. My LG was a piece of junk. The clothes never seemed clean to me and my top loader spins the clothes so they really don't take long to dry either. I did not see a difference in the dryness of the clothes between a top and front loader.

Have you considered getting it fixed?
If it an "old technology" top load unit, the repair may be way less than a new one.
We have kept our Kenmore/Whirlpool going for 15 years and will go to extraordinary efforts to keep it chugging along.
Nope not even a consideration. It is a 9 yo front loader. It was not that expensive and has other things wrong with it - black (mold) stained seal, control panel button that changes the wrong thing (try to make it cold water and it changes the spin speed). It’s time for a new one.

I just replaced Samsung pair after 10 years.
My washer dies and the cost of repair was close to buying new, so I replaced the washer. Then 4 days after replacing the washer, the dryer went. WTH! I swear there was a 10 year countdown clock built into the electronics.

they don’t make them like they use to.

We will just have to agree to disagree. My LG was a piece of junk. The clothes never seemed clean to me and my top loader spins the clothes so they really don't take long to dry either. I did not see a difference in the dryness of the clothes between a top and front loader.
No disagreement from me. Just my wife says the front loader is amazing

I prefer them for my down sleeping bags.

A lot of these front loaders have a setting to kill of the mold. I ran that on my Samsung front loaders without any trouble. My LGs don’t have that setting. But I run my bedding through the sanitize setting, and I haven’t had any problems.

A lot of these front loaders have a setting to kill of the mold. I ran that on my Samsung front loaders without any trouble. My LGs don’t have that setting. But I run my bedding through the sanitize setting, and I haven’t had any problems.
Our LG has a tub clean cycle. My wife runs it once a month and drains the filter.

Our reasoning for getting a front loading is because we are on a septic, and they use less water. Our current machine is front loading and we have never had a mold problem: and I never left the door open or wiped it down. I know others have had issues, however.

I wash a load of whites and sheets on the sanitary cycle once a week and never have had a problem with mold. And this was with two different brands. I won’t have a machine without that sanitary cycle.

Washers are not made like they used to be. We just bought new LG washer and dryer and ended up returning them both after two weeks. The washer had a HOT setting, but it only worked on the clean washer setting which was a short cycle to clean an empty machine. How do you wash white clothes without hot water? It barely agitated and the clothes didn't change position during the whole cycle - it had a window top so you could actually watch it! Now we have Maytag and they are not much better. The water sensor barely puts in enough water. But if you keep lifting the lid it magically adds more water. The agitation also seems minimal but I can't really watch that. Someone told me that the clothes will get tangled easily in a Maytag and that turned out to be true.

We need a washer and dryer. We want front loading and not white, other than that we want it simple as can be. Any suggestions of good ones or ones to stay away from? Of course budget is always a consideration also
I don't think I'll buy another front-loader. I've enjoyed the one I have, but those things are so DEEP. Real space hogs. Be sure to measure your space before you commit.

A color other than white will cost you money. Before you commit, check out colorful decals /other ways to DIY a plain white machine into something prettier.
Yes, it's crazy the salesperson just informed us that washers and dryers are made to last 5-7 years.
That's insane. My Whirlpool Duet set is about 15 years old -- and lasted through the heavy-laundry years when I had small kids at home.
I've torn apart, and successfully repaired, both my front-load washer and my dryer - more than once. They are remarkably simple. You can learn almost anything on YouTube.
Yes, my dryer's heating unit broke recently, and my husband fixed it (for $31) using YouTube. He had to watch and watch and watch the videos, but he fixed it.
I had a front loader and hated it because if you don't meticulously wipe down the seals after washing and then leave the door open to air dry then you will end up with mold build up.
Definitely read the manual when your machine is new! I run the machine wash setting once a month and wipe it down once a month -- no problems.

Short girl consideration:
Haven't seen it mentioned but consider the users height when you are buying a washer, and strength I guess. I like top loaders and the giant Whirlpool set we got are great for our needs when we are all in one place (4 adults) plus it easily manages a King Comforter set. The thing is that when the washer dries it spins things so tight that towels and such sort of get intertwined on the bottom. I'm 5'1" so getting things like towels out can be tough as it requires a herculean amount of strength to just tug it out so I need to actually detangle to pull with what I consider normal effort. THEN to get the stuff on the bottom like socks, means I am tippy toeing into the bottom to the point that I actually end up off my feet into the machine if a sock is furthest away. My family finds this endlessly amusing, I'm OK with it but think I should probably get a stool in there & a smaller one next time LOL

Short girl consideration:
Haven't seen it mentioned but consider the users height when you are buying a washer, and strength I guess. I like top loaders and the giant Whirlpool set we got are great for our needs when we are all in one place (4 adults) plus it easily manages a King Comforter set. The thing is that when the washer dries it spins things so tight that towels and such sort of get intertwined on the bottom. I'm 5'1" so getting things like towels out can be tough as it requires a herculean amount of strength to just tug it out so I need to actually detangle to pull with what I consider normal effort. THEN to get the stuff on the bottom like socks, means I am tippy toeing into the bottom to the point that I actually end up off my feet into the machine if a sock is furthest away. My family finds this endlessly amusing, I'm OK with it but think I should probably get a stool in there & a smaller one next time LOL
My mom is probably only 5' these days. She was 5' 3" at one point. I went washer shopping with her last year and she wanted a top loader. I love my front loader but wasn't going to push her to get one. She chose a decent mid-range, large top loader without an agitator. But we seriously had to open every washer to see if she could reach the bottom. And I told her to keep tongs by the machine. I also joked that I was afraid she'd fall in (it is a really big tub) and get stuck. Luckily she has a good sense of humor.

Last edited:
My mom is probably only 5' these days. She was 5' 3" at one point. I went washer shopping with her last year and she wanted a top loader. I love my front loader but wasn't going to push her to get one. She chose a decent mid-range, large top loader without an agitator. But we seriously had to open every washer to see if she could reach the bottom. And I told her to keep tongs by the maching. I also joked that I was afraid she'd fall in (it is a really big tub) and get stuck. Luckily she has a good sense of humor.

TONGS! that is the absolute best idea ever, thank you! Falling in is an absolute real possibility, I laugh about it but really would never live it down. When I'm in the basement for a while someone does come looking for me, I suspect it is treated as a possible search and rescue LOL

We did purchase new machines, not the ones we originally planned on. but there were some good incentives. We bought Maytag front loading. Time will tell if it was a good decision, they will be delivered Friday.
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and thoughts.

I have had 2 front load machines and both started leaking out the door. ( maytag and kenmore) i will never get one again. My new machine is a top loader he machine so its just like my front loader its whirlpool cabrio..love it

Just google the type you are thinking about the problems come right up

I've torn apart, and successfully repaired, both my front-load washer and my dryer - more than once. They are remarkably simple. You can learn almost anything on YouTube. Dishwashers OTOH - those have been really unreliable and you can't fix them. We've gotten the extended warranty and the tech who came out to fix it told us it was not worth fixing. The CPU goes out and you are done. We go through one every 5 years or so. Good brands too - Bosch, GE, Frigidaire. Microwaves too.

Our 14 year old Whirlpool dishwasher decided it didn't like us anymore a few weeks ago. Because of COVID, buying a new one wasn't really an option -- the places around here at the time were only delivering to your driveway, would not bring them inside the house, and then there was the issue of installation and then removal of the old one. I was not prepared to deal with that nightmare.

So I contacted an appliance repair company. They were still working and had same day service ! The appliance repair person came wearing an N95 mask and gloves. The iswasher turned out to need a new grinder blade and a new circulation pump. Total cost was about half the cost of a new dishwasher*. ( :-( ).

While we are glad we got it repaired, next time it dies it is being replaced.

*half the cost of a higher end multi-feature dishwasher which is what we would/will eventually replace it with; you can get bare bones dishwashers for about $100-$200 more than we paid to repair this one.

We did purchase new machines, not the ones we originally planned on. but there were some good incentives. We bought Maytag front loading. Time will tell if it was a good decision, they will be delivered Friday.
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and thoughts.
My Maytag front loader And dryer set is nearly 16 years old and still Chugging along! My husband has done his own repairs on it, but overall it has served our family of six well over the years! We figure it will last until our youngest leaves the house haha (fingers crossed!) she’s almost 17.

Just replaced our fifteen year old LGs with new LGs. Front loaders - but this time without the pedestal, which means I sit down on the floor to move laundry....but the newer pedestals were a LOT higher than the old ones, and that would have bumped into my shelf space above my units.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!