*NEW* Walmart on Old Lake Wilson Road Grocery Pick-up

TamaraQT

DIS Veteran
I am so anxious to try the pickup service @ this new Walmart when we go this summer for the first 2 weeks of August. For those that have used the service already can you share your experience. Where did you stay in the area. How easy/convenient was it? How far in advance did you order? Was their a line/crowd? Were there any problems or issues with it? I may be over-anxious but I would love to hear from anyone who has used the service while on vacation. I am really looking forward to it. We are staying at Orange Lake the first week, and possibly Westgate the 2nd week. This new Walmart is going to be so super convenient for us.

I'm just tagging along because this Wal-Mart had delayed opening and we couldn't use it for our last trip but want to use it for the next!

I'm just tagging along because this Wal-Mart had delayed opening and we couldn't use it for our last trip but want to use it for the next!

In August 2016 I stayed at Westgate Vacation Villas and when I saw the construction with the sign of a "New Walmart Coming Soon" I was beside myself. I figured it would be ready and open for our 2017 trip. Well I stayed at Westgate again in 2017 and the grand opening was to be for Jan 2018. I was so disappointed. But this year, I am going for another 2 weeks in August and can't wait to visit this location !!

Thanks for starting this thread @TamaraQT - I'll be giving it a shot a week from tomorrow, so any pre-pickup tips and experiences are appreciated. And of course I'll report back once we try it!

Here's a tidbit I learned this morning when I did my checkout on my order for next Sunday, the 8th: you have up until about 16 hours prior to make any changes or additions to your order - my slot is 6-7pm and I can make changes until 1:45 am on that day.

I placed my order this early because I was looking at the availability for this past weekend to get a sense of how the app worked, and I noticed weekend time slots becoming unavailable as the days got closer. By Friday mid-morning there was no availability for Saturday and only one slot left on Sunday. So based on that I scheduled as soon as my desired day opened up, which is 6 days out. I was ready to commit to my order, but I'm glad to know I can tweak it if something comes to mind during the next week!

I ordered for next week. Looks like you can order 7 days out and pickup is between 8 am and 8 pm. I hope it works well as my location at home.

Good Luck !!! Have a fabulous vacation. Please let us know how it went.

Thanks for starting this thread @TamaraQT - I'll be giving it a shot a week from tomorrow, so any pre-pickup tips and experiences are appreciated. And of course I'll report back once we try it!

I am so excited for you @KristinU !!! I am hoping others will share all of their tips and experiences too. Don't forget to report back when you return. Have a WONDERFUL time!!!

Here's a tidbit I learned this morning when I did my checkout on my order for next Sunday, the 8th: you have up until about 16 hours prior to make any changes or additions to your order - my slot is 6-7pm and I can make changes until 1:45 am on that day.

I placed my order this early because I was looking at the availability for this past weekend to get a sense of how the app worked, and I noticed weekend time slots becoming unavailable as the days got closer. By Friday mid-morning there was no availability for Saturday and only one slot left on Sunday. So based on that I scheduled as soon as my desired day opened up, which is 6 days out. I was ready to commit to my order, but I'm glad to know I can tweak it if something comes to mind during the next week!

Thanks for sharing !! That info is super helpful. I am glad you can create it and still have time to edit if needed. I think the timeframe is pretty fair !! Dont forget to let us know how things went for you. Have fun !!!

Well, that was slick! I got a text and an app notification that my groceries were ready and I clicked when I was on my way. A few substitutions, including water... they substituted 35 packs of water for my 24 packs - I had ordered 2 packs. 70 bottles of water instead of 48 seems crazy! I guess we'll be well hydrated!

Total success and we will be doing this again for sure!

One tip: go in the entrance closer to the gas station, that will put you on the right side of the building for pickup and you'll miss alot of the regular parking lot falderal.

Ok, I better get to grilling... posting while my grill at WBC warms up :)

Glad to know one is there. I am hoping it is similar to the one on Vineland Rd. I like Publix and all, but there prices can be high. There is one outside the resort I am going to which is just up from Westgate Lakes.

Well, that was slick! I got a text and an app notification that my groceries were ready and I clicked when I was on my way. A few substitutions, including water... they substituted 35 packs of water for my 24 packs - I had ordered 2 packs. 70 bottles of water instead of 48 seems crazy! I guess we'll be well hydrated!

Total success and we will be doing this again for sure!

One tip: go in the entrance closer to the gas station, that will put you on the right side of the building for pickup and you'll miss alot of the regular parking lot falderal.

Ok, I better get to grilling... posting while my grill at WBC warms up :)

Thanks @KristinU for the update !!! Now I have to ask, when they substitute, do they charge you the same price as the item you requestsed or do they charge the price of the substituted item? I am assuming for the inconvenience, they give you more for your same price. Anyway, I agree you will be well hydrated!!! :drinking1 I can't wait to have my turn to try the pick-up. Its going to be one of the convenient highlights of my vacation. :laughing:

Glad to know one is there. I am hoping it is similar to the one on Vineland Rd. I like Publix and all, but there prices can be high. There is one outside the resort I am going to which is just up from Westgate Lakes.

Are you staying at Westgate Lakes? The Walmart there on Turkey Lake Road is where I had my first "Walmart while on Vacation" visit. We consider that one our "home" Walmart since I used to own at Westgate Lakes. I used to know my way around there blindfolded. I like the gift shop on the strip mall across the parking lot. They run better deals on Tshirts than other gift shops in the area.

Thanks @KristinU for the update !!! Now I have to ask, when they substitute, do they charge you the same price as the item you requestsed or do they charge the price of the substituted item? I am assuming for the inconvenience, they give you more for your same price. Anyway, I agree you will be well hydrated!!! :drinking1 I can't wait to have my turn to try the pick-up. Its going to be one of the convenient highlights of my vacation. :laughing:

Yes, they charge you the same and give you equal or more. They also let you know which items are substituted at pickup and you can accept them or refuse them. They are well marked with stickers. They also mark bags with fragile items with stickers, and also alcohol bags have stickers. Very organized! My app also listed details on the substitutions, so I could look at them as I was waiting for them ti bring the order out. Nothing was a surprise while we unpacked or anything like that :) We took a few photos, I'll upload them to this thread when we get home.

If I had a complaint it would be ther number of bags! Some bags only had 2-3 items in them. At least I have two big dogs at home... I'll be packing the plethora of bags to take home to do our yard pickup! It seriously is too many for me to not want to pack home and reuse, LOL!

jumping in if you don't mind as I came to the boards tonight to see what is the go-to grocery in the area. We are staying at Holiday Inn Orange Lake which particular Walmart is the closest for a quick drive to get groceries?

The closest is the new one on Old Lake Wilson. Next closest is on 27 just north of where 192 ends going to the west.

Thanks - is there a closer grocery store if I chose to just do that early in the morning. I noticed this Walmart does offer fresh strawberries or blueberries which is a breakfast staple for us. If I need to go into a store - may just do the whole trip.

We found Publix gosh awful expensive. I don't get the Publix hype. Some of our local Kroger's in Memphis easily beats any Publix I've been in.

This worked well, we were late and I called and I could still get groceries. We had to go inside but it was still better than shopping. Many substitutions but they always gave me a larger size or name brand for the same price. The store is very busy so I was happy to not have to shop there!

This worked well, we were late and I called and I could still get groceries. We had to go inside but it was still better than shopping. Many substitutions but they always gave me a larger size or name brand for the same price. The store is very busy so I was happy to not have to shop there!
I'm glad it worked out for you! Were you after the 8pm latest pickup time? I want to use this next month but our flight doesn't get in to Orlando until 7:30pm.

We had a horrible experience in February. I ordered about 5 days ahead. Showed up to pick up and they couldn't find our order. Was there for at least 45 minutes while they looked for it. Turns out they cancelled it and did NOT notify us! We ended up having to go grocery shop anyway. They cancelled our order because they sold out of 1 thing! Seriously!!!! If they would have just called us we would have told the to fill the order without the one thing.

It was such a bad experience!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!