New Top of the World policy?

dvcblt93

Mouseketeer
We left the MK tonight to head to the Top of the World to enjoy an adult beverage and watch the fireworks. We got there around 8:40 and were greeted by a manager at the door who told us the lounge was at capacity and we needed to stay on the deck. We informed her we just wanted to buy a few beers and we would come right back out, but she would't even allow us to do that. We went around the corner and peeked in the windows and they weren't even that busy! After the show we went in and had a few drinks and our server told us it was a new policy they are testing out. Why would you turn away revenue? Doesn't make much sense to me....

Has anyone else experienced this?

Why would you turn away revenue?
Maybe they were getting feedback that people weren't spending as much because the place was too crowded.

I understand why they wouldn't take the word of a customer that that customer would go in just to buy something and come back out. Unfortunately, while you would have, there are a lot of people who would say that to get in with no intention of coming right back out. They would have to put in place something like the parks' shopping pass (do they even still offer that?) and putting something like that in place for this is probably more work than it is worth.

Interesting. We have been up there at about 8, seated at a largely open bar, with some tables occupied. Then as the 9 o’clock hour approached there was a palpable increase in congestion and noise, plus a line nearly out the door for walk up drinks at the north end of the bar. The Bartender had said when we closed out earlier that “if you would like anything else, let me get it now because my “hour of hell” is about to start.” Additionally, there were tables occupied by say 3 folks, but in would walk the other 9 from the grand villa and be bunched around the table etc. So, perhaps they are trying to preserve the lounge experience a bit leading up to the “crush” as most will want to be on the deck for the show anyway?

interesting. I guess I can see wanting to manage the influx of crowds for the show and preserving the lounge experience. Seems like there could be ways to do that and still capture the revenue - add a bartender from the Wave or something for that hour, roll one of those carts out onto the deck. Outside of fireworks time, I’ve always found the under-utilization of this space curious.

interesting. I guess I can see wanting to manage the influx of crowds for the show and preserving the lounge experience. Seems like there could be ways to do that and still capture the revenue - add a bartender from the Wave or something for that hour, roll one of those carts out onto the deck. Outside of fireworks time, I’ve always found the under-utilization of this space curious.

Not buying it, Disney wouldn't turn away business to preserve your bar experience. Something else was going on. I still like the private party idea or maybe a VIP party.

:earsboy: Bill

Maybe its a simple issue of adhering to legally mandated capacity limits. Restaurants, bars, lounges, etc., have limits on how many guests can be on the premises. I know that Top of the World's viewing platform has a posted capacity sign, and I'm almost sure that there is a separate posted capacity sign for the lounge as well.

We have been at TotW before, during and after the fireworks show. The lounge can reach capacity before the fireworks, then the majority of guests go out to the viewing platform for the fireworks show.

The problem can come after the fireworks show has ended. The lounge could look to be at less than capacity while the fireworks show is going on, but after the fireworks some of the guests return to their tables inside the lounge. However, if other guests have entered the lounge while the fireworks show was going on, the lounge can exceed its legal capacity.

Maybe Disney has been cited for letting too many people into the lounge immediately after the fireworks show. There are different ways Disney could manage the crowds and one way could be by restricting the number of new guests that can enter the lounge shortly before or during the fireworks show.

Sure, Disney doesn't want to turn away business. But it also doesn't want to be cited for capacity violations and run the risk of losing its liquor license.

I doubt if the Disney run Reedy Creek Fire Marshall would shut down a Disney venue for capacity violations.

:earsboy: Bill

I spoke with one of the staff members after fireworks and he said it is a new management team trying new things. I doubt its a capacity thing, have you ever been in Rose and Crown before Illuminations?

Maybe its a simple issue of adhering to legally mandated capacity limits. Restaurants, bars, lounges, etc., have limits on how many guests can be on the premises. I know that Top of the World's viewing platform has a posted capacity sign, and I'm almost sure that there is a separate posted capacity sign for the lounge as well.

Sure, Disney doesn't want to turn away business. But it also doesn't want to be cited for capacity violations and run the risk of losing its liquor license.

This kind of strikes me as funny or sad depending on your point of view...have you ever ridden in the overloaded buses? Don't the buses have a capacity limits???? It doesn't seem to mater on the buses so not sure it would matter at the ToTW. Just sayin'

I spoke with one of the staff members after fireworks and he said it is a new management team trying new things. I doubt its a capacity thing, have you ever been in Rose and Crown before Illuminations?

A management team that doesn't want to earn as much revenue as they can? I can't believe they have any experience in food and beverage if they are doing that. Especially at TOTWL you have a short window that the crowd is there and you NEED to capitalize on it.

I'd fire them in an instant if they didn't stop that. Seriously.

We were at Trader Sams on 6/29 and they were watching the occupancy number carefully. We were at a table and a couple friends wanted to join us, they were not allowed.

We were at TOTW the next night, no problems. Got there about an hour before fireworks, snagged seats for drinks, shared a flatbread and cake. Went outside for the fireworks, it was getting crowded.

Why would you turn away revenue? Doesn't make much sense to me....

There are fire codes and maximum occupancies. And Reedy Creek is very strict on these. That is possibly the case.

When we stayed at BLT Memorial Day weekend, TOWL was JAMMED. There was only ONE seat and it was at the end of the bar where all the drink fruits/garnishes were. Not a single table had any room at all. It took us about 30 minutes before something opened up to sit down, which we wanted to do to order beverages and an app.

A management thing trying new things and testing a new policy about what exactly. A Restaurants/bars capacity isn’t a policy thing, it’s a “legal” thing. Seems vague and ambiguous, sounds like something else was up! Maybe Johnny Depp was there with his entourage... lol

I doubt if the Disney run Reedy Creek Fire Marshall would shut down a Disney venue for capacity violations

Reedy Creek FD absolutely would enforce occupancy limits.

Reedy Creek would DEFINITELY enforce occupancy limits. It's possible it's been found out that TOWL has been exceeding those limits.

As for the buses, it's a different scenario. TOWL is at the top of a very tall building and one must think of how those folks would evacuate in case of an emergency and how long that would take. More people? More time. A bus has 2 doors that are used plus windows that can be pushed out to evacuate. And bus sits on the ground. No stairwells to navigate down multiple stories.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter