New to the Fort

voxparse

Abide
My crew (wife and 7 yr old son) and I will be making our first trip to the Fort this May. We are experienced campers and experienced Disney goers but have yet to combine our two favorite activities. What I'd love to hear is ya'lls best tips for first time Fort goers. We're staying for two weeks and definitely not doing parks every day. So what are your must do's for a first timer?

My crew (wife and 7 yr old son) and I will be making our first trip to the Fort this May. We are experienced campers and experienced Disney goers but have yet to combine our two favorite activities. What I'd love to hear is ya'lls best tips for first time Fort goers. We're staying for two weeks and definitely not doing parks every day. So what are your must do's for a first timer?

Tell us how you are staying at the Fort, @voxparse

A cabin?
A tent?
A trailer?
A (n) RV?

If not in a cabin, what level of campsite did you reserve?

And :welcome: to the DIS Camping Board :disrocks:

Bama Ed

PS - I will start by saying visit the Tri-Circle-D Ranch (horse barn) across the road from the Settlement Bus Stop with the kid and maybe lead him on a pony ride. That's a "win" suggestion all the way around!

Last edited:
Tell us how you are staying at the Fort, @voxparse

A cabin?
A tent?
A trailer?
A (n) RV?

If not in a cabin, what level of campsite did you reserve?

And :welcome: to the DIS Camping Board :disrocks:

Bama Ed

PS - I will start by saying visit the Tri-Circle-D Ranch (horse barn) across with the kid and maybe lead him on a pony ride. That's a "win" suggestion all the way around!
Thanks for the welcome. We camp in a 21' Jayco 174bh trailer. I reserved a full hook-up campsite. I had considered getting premium or preferred but we'll very likely rent a golf cart so I'm not too concerned about getting around. We'll also most likely drive to parks with the exception of maybe where we can ride the boat.

My suggestion (which I see you mentioned above) is rent a golf cart! It's a great way to get around the Fort. We were there for our first time last Feb. and loved it! We didn't have enough non-park days to enjoy the campground and all it has to offer, sounds like you're planning on that too.
You're definitely in the right place to ask questions. I asked for a lot of advice as we were planning last year, and the folks on here are great!

I personally love the full hook-up loops, we usually just used the bus or walked because our family was too large for a golf cart. My kids loved taking the boat to MK, sometimes we would take the boat and then the monorail to Epcot, sure it takes longer but it was all about them.

Make sure to have a meal at Trails End and enjoy the pool. The Fort is our absolute favorite place to camp and they have the cleanest bathroom. Have a wonderful time making memories.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I love breakfast so we're definitely planning on multiple trips to Trails End even if I have to roll solo while everyone sleeps in. Are there any things that can only be done certain days? I want to make sure I leave our no park days on the right days of the week.

Hoop dee doo
rent a golf cart
eat at the chuck wagon once. i think they have several there on Tuesdays.. that might have changed.
Camp Fire sing along
My favorite thing to do is the morning stroll around the loop... i do that every morning and really is peaceful. Love checking out other folks rigs and camp setups! I get great ideas that i rarely impelment but its on my to do list! ;)

Oh as fyi Trails End is currently closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays although they have several food trucks down in front of TE on those nights (they did in November) and also next door to TE is P&J's Southern Takeout (the Fort's Quick Service dining option) that is open for B/L/D every day.

And the Chip & Dale singalong is not held 2 nights of the week (can't remember which ones but it's listed on the monthly recreation sheet you get at checkin) but a movie does play every night.

Bama Ed

PS - you'll see a playground they built right between Trails End and the Settlement Trading Post (you'll see it on the way to catch the MK boat) that your 7yo would enjoy. I was in the loop nearest it in November and looked like parents enjoyed the food truck offerings while kids played.

Most everything we love has been already been mentioned, but if you are interested, there are also archery lessons you can pay and sign up for for ages 7 and up. My 6.5 year old was fascinated by the archery and wants to do it when he gets old enough.

Check the activities schedule for when you are traveling. Sometimes there are fun special events, like we did a scavenger hunt and some Christmas crafts the week leading up to Christmas.

Two weeks at the Fort, is our sweet spot. You picked a great time frame.
A few suggestions:
-renting a golf cart can be fun, but you really don't need to have one every day-I would suggest renting one for a day that you aren't going to the parks
-since you are staying for two weeks, I would get ten-day park tickets, and then I would take the parks slow and easy
-if it's going to be nice weather, I would bring your bikes

Have fun.

I'm so excited for you and your family!

Thinking about your 7 year old and things I haven't seen mentioned yet...

The Meadows Swimming Pool will be finished being refurbished by the time you all go - there is a big waterslide there.

There are two arcades (one at The Meadows, and one at the Settlement) which can be a fun thing to do.

We bring our own fishing gear and fish out on the little dock behind the Meadows Trading Post in the late afternoons/early evenings (or you can rent gear from the Bike Barn before 5PM).

There are arts and crafts (they usually cost a bit extra, usually somewhere between $5 and $15 depending on the craft, things like Mickey Tie Dye shirts, decorate tumblers, bags or ornaments, make your own slime, things like that) for kids daily (usually 3:30PM-4:30PM at the Bike Barn, sometimes also in the mornings from 10AM-11AM)

Canoeing on the canal (can rent canoes and kayaks at the Bike Barn).

Someone mentioned bringing bikes, they can also be rented (or we bring our own foldable scooters as well; they travel more easily than bikes!)

We like to get Mickey Ice Cream bars from the Chuck Wagon or a Mickey Cupcake from P&J's Southern Takeout and take them over to Clementine's beach to enjoy while watching Magic Kingdom fireworks and the Electrical Water Pageant from there.

Glad to hear you aren't planning on doing parks every day - there is so much to do at the Fort (and so much NOT to do - the Fort is a really relaxing place)!

The Bike Barn loans out all sorts of balls and sports equipment - for free. It was a lifesaver when we forgot our basketball and it was fun to play shuffleboard.
Canoes are a great deal and you get a view of the Fort that is unique.
We like to watch the Magic Kingdom fireworks from the beach and then stick around for the water parade.
Get to the pool early and grab some chairs. The organized games are fun for the kids.
Recently, the Fort - and many of the other hotels - have had some kind of scavenger hunt. If you do a Monorail tour, its a nice way to see different parts of the hotels.

And the Chip & Dale singalong is not held 2 nights of the week (can't remember which ones but it's listed on the monthly recreation sheet you get at checkin) but a movie does play every night.

Found the sing-along off days. They're Monday and Tuesday. Here is the November Recreation Calendar you get when you check into the Fort. Note the campfire and movie are daily but the sing-along is not.

Schedules are always subject to change but it may help your what-day-to-do-what point of view in planning.

20221101_102318.jpg

Bama Ed

Two weeks at the Fort, is our sweet spot. You picked a great time frame.
A few suggestions:
-renting a golf cart can be fun, but you really don't need to have one every day-I would suggest renting one for a day that you aren't going to the parks
-since you are staying for two weeks, I would get ten-day park tickets, and then I would take the parks slow and easy
-if it's going to be nice weather, I would bring your bikes

Have fun.
2 weeks is a great sweet spot and i think you are right, you don't need a golf cart for every day but it certainly nice to have for some of the days your not going to a park!

The Bike Barn loans out all sorts of balls and sports equipment - for free. It was a lifesaver when we forgot our basketball and it was fun to play shuffleboard.
Canoes are a great deal and you get a view of the Fort that is unique.
We like to watch the Magic Kingdom fireworks from the beach and then stick around for the water parade.
Get to the pool early and grab some chairs. The organized games are fun for the kids.
Recently, the Fort - and many of the other hotels - have had some kind of scavenger hunt. If you do a Monorail tour, its a nice way to see different parts of the hotels.
this is very helpful to know they loan our sports equipment. we were planning on packing a soccer, volleyball and football and I'd rather save on lugging it with us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter