new to run disney

margot31

DIS Veteran
So my husband just signed up for the half marathon in Jan.

What time do spectators start getting out there to cheer on their runner? Do you have to do that paid part of cheering?

Also if I wanted to run a 5k in the future are we allowed to run with strollers? We have two small kids and we don't have family near us to help unless i ask them to travel to help.

What time do spectators start getting out there to cheer on their runner? Do you have to do that paid part of cheering?

Also if I wanted to run a 5k in the future are we allowed to run with strollers? We have two small kids and we don't have family near us to help unless i ask them to travel to help.

Answered in reverse order:
No strollers allowed for any Disney races. From the RunDisney site:
  • For everyone's safety, items including baby joggers, strollers, baby carriers, baby backpacks, skates, scooters, bicycles, skateboards, canes, crutches, walkers, walking sticks, selfie sticks and animals of any kind are prohibited from the course. Violators will be removed from the course and transported to the finish line area.
Check out this link [specifically page 42] for spectator locations:
http://rodale-usa.instantmagazine.com/rundisney/dwmar18#!/index

These are all free of charge but you'll have to pick one or two spots depending on when your husband plans to start and how fast he will be running. What I mean by that is that it's possible to see him at TTC or MK and then get back to the finish line via monorail.

Welcome!
DH has cheered for me 4 times and never paid for the ChEAR package or however the capitalization goes in that term. Definitely check out the link to the race guide that @PCFriar80 shared. My DH has never gone to TTC but it seems like a great place to be a spectator, the crowds are tremendous there. Because I need emotional support near the end of the race, DH tends to wait for me either at ESPN's Wide World of Sports, around mile 18 or 19, or this last time because they didn't provide transportation there, he waited in Hollywood Studios. If you don't want to burn a park admission, there are many places to cheer near the entrance of HS all the way through the Boardwalk area. Just based on my experience I would like to see a friendly face in there somewhere. But it would be difficult to then get to the finish line in time for the finish. DH decided after the first year that watching at the finish line was less satisfying than he thought, so he doesn't mind missing me there, but that may be important to you. If finish line viewing is important to you, then I agree with PCFriar80, try the TTC or MK then monorail back to the finish.

Oh and as for time, you need to get out EARLY. TTC/MK is mile 4-6-ish and your hubby will probably start about 6AM, give or take a half hour depending on his corral. You can do the math to decide when to get there but depending on how fast he runs, you're looking at being in place to see him as early as 6AM. This is another reason why viewing your runner near the END of the race can be more appealing. It buys you a few hours sleep :)

If you can tell us his estimated HM pace at Disney, and his POT submission for corral placement (or estimated time if no POT was submitted), then I can give you a generally good idea where and when he'll be at locations on property.

If you can tell us his estimated HM pace at Disney, and his POT submission for corral placement (or estimated time if no POT was submitted), then I can give you a generally good idea where and when he'll be at locations on property.

Last time he ran any kind of marathon was the marine corps marathon back in 2005. He is using the disney run as a way to motivate him to get back in shape as it kind of slipped over the years and he can be kicked out of his job because of his fitness (military) we only live 3 hours a way so its a way for us to get a quick trip in and him to workout.

Last time he ran any kind of marathon was the marine corps marathon back in 2005. He is using the disney run as a way to motivate him to get back in shape as it kind of slipped over the years and he can be kicked out of his job because of his fitness (military) we only live 3 hours a way so its a way for us to get a quick trip in and him to workout.

Sounds good. Once the race day gets closer, you can just @ me with a pace if he gets a rough idea and I can give you something like this:

Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 11.27.21 AM.png

Based on the expected pace and POT, I can roughly calculate positions. Usually for the HM, you're looking at doing a double spectate at TTC and Grand Floridian/Polynesian OR Inside MK on Main Street. Neither require any tickets or cost.

Are you staying on property?

Sounds good. Once the race day gets closer, you can just @ me with a pace if he gets a rough idea and I can give you something like this:

View attachment 362010

Based on the expected pace and POT, I can roughly calculate positions. Usually for the HM, you're looking at doing a double spectate at TTC and Grand Floridian/Polynesian OR Inside MK on Main Street. Neither require any tickets or cost.

Are you staying on property?

what is POT? I am very new to all of this. And like I mentioned last time hubby ran anything was years ago in DC and we knew the metro system and all. We are trying to find a place. He reserved his spot at 11pm last night while he was laying in bed, so all he told me was to try and find a good deal but need his final approval for where he wants to stay and all. I don't run unless its a friday away from my kids and on a treadmill for 30 min. That is the extent of me and yea.

what is POT? I am very new to all of this. And like I mentioned last time hubby ran anything was years ago in DC and we knew the metro system and all. We are trying to find a place. He reserved his spot at 11pm last night while he was laying in bed, so all he told me was to try and find a good deal but need his final approval for where he wants to stay and all. I don't run unless its a friday away from my kids and on a treadmill for 30 min. That is the extent of me and yea.

POT is proof of time.

https://www.rundisney.com/events/disneyworld/disneyworld-marathon-weekend/race-policies/

Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 2.06.47 PM.png

https://www.disboards.com/threads/pot-proof-of-time-race-equivalency-cutoff-confirmed-times.3699036/

When he registered, it asked him what his estimated finish time was. If it was faster than a 2:45 half marathon, then he was asked to input a proof of time from another race that was either a 10k, 12k, 15k, 10 mile, or HM that has occurred since January 2017 that showed he was capable of a 2:45 half marathon or faster. If he chose a time slower than a 2:45 HM, then he chose one of three blocks (2:45-3:00, 3:00-3:15, 3:15-3:30). Either the POT he submitted from another race or the non-POT estimate from one of those three blocks will dictate what corral he is in at the Disney half marathon. That dictates what time in the morning he will actually cross the start line.

Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 2.04.21 PM.png

This is a general guess as to the timing of when each person will cross the start line based on their corral and where they line up within the corral. So someone assigned to Corral D who choses to line up towards the front of the corral would be estimated to start around 5:53 am. There's about a 60 min window from the start of the race to when the last person crosses the start line, so as you can see which corral you end up can greatly influence the timing as to when to expect someone on course to arrive at a certain "checkpoint".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter