New to Disney..stay out of Disney resorts to save money?

I have helped many people plan their Disney trips and I'm always amazed at how programmed people are to stay onsite, buy the DDP, etc. There are other options out there for people who are looking for them, but they're not as visible. I'm glad boards like this exist so people can research other options that would work for them!

I don’t think “programmed” is the right word, though some people are strongly in one camp (staying off site vs staying on site) and refuse to consider the other.

I think you make a lot of good points! We had a good time staying off site. However, I felt like the customer service and proximity added something extra staying onsite. ;) Value isn’t found simply in feeling like you’re saving some money, though obviously it can be. Staying on site can be fairly cost effective. We make two meals a day in our hotel room no matter where we stay, and I’d never suggest anyone get the Dining Plan! Even “free dining” isn’t a great deal for most people.

Again, it goes back to goals and the accommodations in which someone finds value, monetarily or otherwise, which is different for everyone! OP just has to decide where they find value. :)

We prefer to stay on-site, but about half of our trips off-site at Wyndham Bonnet Creek (still int he bubble). So very close by. Our personal choice is to not leave the Disney bubble. We already live in a city and see city life, so when at Disney we like to feel away from it. Staying on-site is about the theming. It's not cheap, but you can find ways to cut (some) costs. Plus there's the convenience factor of Disney transportation. It can save time as buses run regularly, drop you off at the park door steps, and can be quicker than trying to transport to an off-site location.

You may have already made your lodging decision, but here are some things to ask yourself if you are still indecisive.

1- Do you plan to spend the majority of your time at the WDW parks?

2- Are you intending to go back to the resort mid-day for breaks?
-If so this can eat up a lot of time when staying off site. On-site is a bit easier due to Disney transportation.

3- Will you be using your own personal vehicle, renting a car, cabs, or hotel transport? All take time to reach the parking lots. Some non-Disney resort shuttles might only leave a few times a day. So you would need to investigate what this looks like as part of your planning process.

4- Do you want an immersive experience or a basic room?

I don’t think “programmed” is the right word, though some people are strongly in one camp (staying off site vs staying on site) and refuse to consider the other.

I think you make a lot of good points! We had a good time staying off site. However, I felt like the customer service and proximity added something extra staying onsite. ;) Value isn’t found simply in feeling like you’re saving some money, though obviously it can be. Staying on site can be fairly cost effective. We make two meals a day in our hotel room no matter where we stay, and I’d never suggest anyone get the Dining Plan! Even “free dining” isn’t a great deal for most people.

Again, it goes back to goals and the accommodations in which someone finds value, monetarily or otherwise, which is different for everyone! OP just has to decide where they find value. :)

I agree... "value" and "worth it" are highly subjective and highly individual.

I was helping a friend plan a trip one time and at the last minute her husband decided to "let Disney handle everything" by booking it all; room, tickets, DDP, etc. Disney makes it very easy to keep people onsite, they want us to spend all our vacation money with them! Anyway, for my friend's husband he found "value" in not having to plan and let Disney do it all for him. Unfortunately, they didn't understand the dining plan, how slow Disney transportation really is when they took a mid day break, and how much more money they would spend on souvenirs and extras. They also hated being crammed into the same room for a week. In his desire to have what he felt was a stress free vacation, he wound up not understanding how things work in WDW. They are people who have decided that Disney is not worth it and like to complain about how bad their trip was for the money they paid. Sigh.... :rolleyes:

For me, being able to visit Disney twice a year, getting a huge condo with full kitchen, washer dryer, etc, having the freedom to come and go on my schedule by driving my own car and not having to wait on Disney transportation, saving money so I can do more extras (dessert parties, fishing excursions) and being able to find cheaper and diverse offsite restaurants is worth it. I will say though that when my son in law's family stays at BLT I do get tempted to join them simply because I don't like getting in and out of MK! But, we don't do MK a lot on our trips anyway. We're more Epcot and AK people. I can't wait for F&W next month!

I agree... "value" and "worth it" are highly subjective and highly individual.

I was helping a friend plan a trip one time and at the last minute her husband decided to "let Disney handle everything" by booking it all; room, tickets, DDP, etc. Disney makes it very easy to keep people onsite, they want us to spend all our vacation money with them! Anyway, for my friend's husband he found "value" in not having to plan and let Disney do it all for him. Unfortunately, they didn't understand the dining plan, how slow Disney transportation really is when they took a mid day break, and how much more money they would spend on souvenirs and extras. They also hated being crammed into the same room for a week. In his desire to have what he felt was a stress free vacation, he wound up not understanding how things work in WDW. They are people who have decided that Disney is not worth it and like to complain about how bad their trip was for the money they paid. Sigh.... :rolleyes:

Agreed about "value" and "worth it."

Also agree that there are definitely people who don't have any idea how Disney works, just show up, and get mad when things don't work out for them. Sometimes I just shake my head.

I was recently talking to the mother of one of my son's friends. I don't know her very well, and the subject of Disney came up. She went in the fall several years ago with her daughter, and she is still irate at AAA for not telling her that MK was closing early on the day she was there. I think I tried to say something neutral like, "well, AAA just sells tickets; they're not really a full-service travel agency," but in my head I was thinking, "who books a theme park vacation and doesn't at least look at the park hours?" But I could hear in her voice how angry she still is nearly a decade later about not being explicitly told about the hard ticketed event. I suppose if you don't know that from late August through December there will be several days a week MK closes early for one party or another, it would be a rude awakening, but even before I knew about the Dis, I still checked park hours when planning my trip.

And this mom also chose the DDP. She lives pay check to pay check, but explained she wanted to do the dining plan because she was afraid she might run out of money if she paid OOP. Definitely an example of valuing convenience over money, but understandable, too. But then she ran out of dining credits. She said, "maybe I was naive, but I just thought they reset every day." I kind of nodded and didn't say much, but in my head I was thinking, "if you didn't have credits left at the end, that means you used up extra earlier in the trip. Did you think Disney was just giving you those extra meals?" Part of me feels bad for her because she really does struggle financially and this trip obviously represented a big splurge for her, but the other part of me is thinking, "do your homework."

So after much contemplation my family decided to spend more money and do an onsite stay for several reasons.

Driving - I was not looking forward to having to do all the driving. We also take mid-day breaks so that is more driving for me.
Parking - Getting to and from the lots to the entrance is a pain.
ECV - My dad will have an ECV. Each time we come and go it would have to be totally broken down and somehow shoved into the back of my small Rogue. I watched some videos on how to do this and I just didn't feel like spending part of my vacation fighting machines.
EMH - We really like the evening EMH at MK. It's just so magical and fun to be there late at night with less crowds.

I did look at off site hotels in DS where we would still have EMH but the busses didn't look compatible for ECV transport. They are full size like ME so I would probably still have to drive and pay to park at the hotel and the parks.

So I guess I am saying that for us there is "value" in convenience.

The majority of the times we have visit Walt Disney World have been offsite. There have been a handful of times when we’ve seen Dan site and usually it’s at the Swan and dolphin. The reason behind that is we were able to find amazing deals where it was relatively the same price as staying offsite and it was cheaper than even the lowest tear Disney hotel.
If money was no object absolutely we love staying on site because it’s so much more convenient especially staying at the Swan and dolphin because you’re in walking distance to Epcot and a short boat ride to other places

Agreed about "value" and "worth it."

Also agree that there are definitely people who don't have any idea how Disney works, just show up, and get mad when things don't work out for them. Sometimes I just shake my head.

I was recently talking to the mother of one of my son's friends. I don't know her very well, and the subject of Disney came up. She went in the fall several years ago with her daughter, and she is still irate at AAA for not telling her that MK was closing early on the day she was there. I think I tried to say something neutral like, "well, AAA just sells tickets; they're not really a full-service travel agency," but in my head I was thinking, "who books a theme park vacation and doesn't at least look at the park hours?" But I could hear in her voice how angry she still is nearly a decade later about not being explicitly told about the hard ticketed event. I suppose if you don't know that from late August through December there will be several days a week MK closes early for one party or another, it would be a rude awakening, but even before I knew about the Dis, I still checked park hours when planning my trip.

And this mom also chose the DDP. She lives pay check to pay check, but explained she wanted to do the dining plan because she was afraid she might run out of money if she paid OOP. Definitely an example of valuing convenience over money, but understandable, too. But then she ran out of dining credits. She said, "maybe I was naive, but I just thought they reset every day." I kind of nodded and didn't say much, but in my head I was thinking, "if you didn't have credits left at the end, that means you used up extra earlier in the trip. Did you think Disney was just giving you those extra meals?" Part of me feels bad for her because she really does struggle financially and this trip obviously represented a big splurge for her, but the other part of me is thinking, "do your homework."

I have another friend who took a loan out for her "once in a lifetime" Disney trip and is still paying it off. She believed that to have a "Disney vacation" meant staying at a Disney hotel, getting the dining plan, buying tickets through Disney and using DME and transportation....anything else was not a Disney vacation, just an Orlando vacation with a few visits to Disney. I guess in part she's correct, but that's more of what I meant in a previous post about people being "programmed" as to what a "Disney vacation" is.

I don't believe that everyone needs to be a commando planner, but the way Disney created a lot of their system necessitates some level of planning. Or at the very least a level of understanding of how things work at Disney. One of the funniest, or saddest things depending on your perspective, was my dd staying at BLT with her inlaws and overhearing a woman on the phone with her travel agent (we assume) screaming "Do you have any idea how much a &*(#@ cheeseburger is here!" She was genuinely taken back by how much everything cost.

As has been said, it very much depends on your group size and needs. If you have a large group or several kids and want more space and plan to cook or even just make breakfast in the room, then you will likely save money by going off-site.

For us, it’s just two adults, and at the end of the day we end up saving money by staying on-site at a value resort, since all we want in a resort is a place to sleep and shower.

Just make sure if you’re comparing that you factor in all costs with either option. Staying on-site, your only real additional cost is the overnight parking that apparently they are now charging. I also budget some extra money for a couple Minnie van rides, because I know I don’t have the patience to deal with buses when they’re crowded. Off-site costs could include car rental or shuttle services, theme park parking, and the big one is the resort fee scam that MANY hotels are running now where they advertise a low rate and then tack on an additional fee each day, which I’ve seen as high as $60.

Well, sure. There's no arguing how you feel. All I'm pointing out is that "the bubble" is just imaginary and you make of it what you want. There isn't an actual bubble over WDW property. When you left the property, no bubble actually popped. It was just a mental image you had built up in your mind and you felt personally sad/disappointed/etc...because you were no longer on ground owned by WDW. That's personal judgement and nobody can argue how someone feels. At the same time, I can argue that with limited exception the "conveniences" aren't what they're made out to be and that if you're open minded to not being in this imaginary "bubble", there is a lot of potential to being offsite.

Why not just go to six flags and camp in the summer that also saves a ton?

There is a reason why being in the Disney Bubble is something that is brought up. Do what you wish, it does exist, but it may not be important to certain people or families.

A great example is people talking about having a car rental. Not needing to drive is part of being in the bubble.

Personally spending two days at DoubleTree in Disney Springs before our trip this fall. Will give us a good way to test out not staying at Disney hotels.

We do both. We stay on site and off site. We are just first time AP but I've been going to Disney since I was a kid in the 1970s.

Yes, onsite is all about the Disney Magic and it does feel more like a vaycay however offsite has its perks.

My BIL is a control freak and likes to drive everywhere so I don't mind staying offsite because he can get us back to Disney Springs hotels much faster than Disney transportation.

It's really a decision about what works best for your family.

Why not just go to six flags and camp in the summer that also saves a ton?

There is a reason why being in the Disney Bubble is something that is brought up. Do what you wish, it does exist, but it may not be important to certain people or families.

A great example is people talking about having a car rental. Not needing to drive is part of being in the bubble.

Personally spending two days at DoubleTree in Disney Springs before our trip this fall. Will give us a good way to test out not staying at Disney hotels.

Based on your level of sarcasm right off the bat, I'm guessing this bubble thing is a big deal to you. That's great, but understand that it truly a mental image. As I said, and this isn't debatable, there is no actual physical bubble surrounding WDW property. The bubble is a personal value based judgment. To us, the entire Kissimmee/Lake Buena Vista area is our "bubble". We don't live there, so anywhere we go feels like vacation. The local gift shop, restaurants, we even take day trips to Daytona Beach.

Your thoughts on not needing to drive are also a purely subjective value. A lot of people agree with you, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. However, there's also nothing wrong with saying that I want to drive at WDW. The thought of having to use WDW buses is pretty much a deal breaker for me. No way, not doing it. You obviously see not having a car as a positive, I see it as a negative. Not right or wrong either way.

I hope you enjoy your stay at the DoubleTree, but that also brings up a good point. At least to me, there's a clear difference in just staying at a regular hotel offsite (though that DoubleTree is practically onsite) and staying at a condo/townhouse. If I were to just stay in a hotel room, such as a DoubleTree or Marriott, etc...then I may find it more tempting to stay onsite (with my car of course, LOL). However, we rent 3 or 4 bedroom condos and townhouses. It's truly a "home away from home", where we all have our own space, have a full kitchen, family room, washer/dryer in house, multiple bathrooms/showers, etc... We get that for less than the cost of a value resort onsite, and far less than a moderate or deluxe. To us, that's a win/win. For us, there's nothing like coming back to our "home" after a day at the parks and going for a swim in the community pool, then all having space to spread out and relax for the evening...or go back out and do anything we want.

Based on your level of sarcasm right off the bat, I'm guessing this bubble thing is a big deal to you. That's great, but understand that it truly a mental image. As I said, and this isn't debatable, there is no actual physical bubble surrounding WDW property. The bubble is a personal value based judgment. To us, the entire Kissimmee/Lake Buena Vista area is our "bubble". We don't live there, so anywhere we go feels like vacation. The local gift shop, restaurants, we even take day trips to Daytona Beach.

Your thoughts on not needing to drive are also a purely subjective value. A lot of people agree with you, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. However, there's also nothing wrong with saying that I want to drive at WDW. The thought of having to use WDW buses is pretty much a deal breaker for me. No way, not doing it. You obviously see not having a car as a positive, I see it as a negative. Not right or wrong either way.

I hope you enjoy your stay at the DoubleTree, but that also brings up a good point. At least to me, there's a clear difference in just staying at a regular hotel offsite (though that DoubleTree is practically onsite) and staying at a condo/townhouse. If I were to just stay in a hotel room, such as a DoubleTree or Marriott, etc...then I may find it more tempting to stay onsite (with my car of course, LOL). However, we rent 3 or 4 bedroom condos and townhouses. It's truly a "home away from home", where we all have our own space, have a full kitchen, family room, washer/dryer in house, multiple bathrooms/showers, etc... We get that for less than the cost of a value resort onsite, and far less than a moderate or deluxe. To us, that's a win/win. For us, there's nothing like coming back to our "home" after a day at the parks and going for a swim in the community pool, then all having space to spread out and relax for the evening...or go back out and do anything we want.

Except I wasn't being sarcastic about Six Flags. Six Flags vs Disney is no different of comparison to a Town Home vs Disney Deluxe Resort. They are completely different experiences with good and bad on both side.

If you are offended by the comparison we can say Universal vs Disney then, I used Six Flags because both in the Chicago area and New Jersey area when talking to people I work with that are in their 20s Six Flags is actually a superior experience for many of them and vastly less expensive.

No one is debating about a physical bubble lol. I don't know why you keep trying to point that out. If you are on property at a Disney owned location there is a different experience (good or in your case bad specific to the hotels/dvc).

As far as DoubleTree though it's a 1 bedroom suite (so not just a hotel room) and is free because of points.

So I am not disagreeing with you at all that there are things to consider. But there is absolutely an association with Disney property having a "bubble" again which you may not value at all in certain circumstances (which is fine). If you need to call it Disney magic or pixie dust in the eyes.

Except I wasn't being sarcastic about Six Flags. Six Flags vs Disney is no different of comparison to a Town Home vs Disney Deluxe Resort. They are completely different experiences with good and bad on both side.

If you are offended by the comparison we can say Universal vs Disney then, I used Six Flags because both in the Chicago area and New Jersey area when talking to people I work with that are in their 20s Six Flags is actually a superior experience for many of them and vastly less expensive.

No one is debating about a physical bubble lol. I don't know why you keep trying to point that out. If you are on property at a Disney owned location there is a different experience (good or in your case bad specific to the hotels/dvc).

As far as DoubleTree though it's a 1 bedroom suite (so not just a hotel room) and is free because of points.

So I am not disagreeing with you at all that there are things to consider. But there is absolutely an association with Disney property having a "bubble" again which you may not value at all in certain circumstances (which is fine). If you need to call it Disney magic or pixie dust in the eyes.

No offense taken, this is a message board about WDW, I don't take any of it personally. Each to their own.

Right, we all agree the "bubble" isn't a real thing. It's a metaphor and is a value judgment. That was my point, is that it's just something that someone builds up in their mind.

Awesome you're staying on points. Funny enough, we have done the same thing. We have stayed at the Swolphin twice for free on points, or at least tried to. Beautiful hotels, they really are. However, both times we never made it past 8pm. We very much preferred being in our "home" offsite and left. It's just not for us.

And Six Flags....ugh, I guess if the younger crowd likes it a lot, that's great. I suppose I can see why, it's got a ton of true "thrill" rides that WDW lacks. However, we've been AP holders at Six Flags Over GA for several years. We just cancelled it in May. For us, it's a total dump. It's dirty, inefficient (getting into the front gate takes forever), many of the staff clearly hate their jobs and don't mind showing it. Ugh, just not an enjoyable place to be.

I think we all know that "there is no actual physical bubble surrounding WDW property." No need to condescend.

Many people experience much more than a "mental image". It is an all-encompassing euphoric feeling that can cause one to express strong emotions including laughter and happy tears. As we enter Disney property, my heart beats faster; I begin to cry and laugh at the same time. I experience this elation for the entire trip until we leave Disney property.

We have stayed at every level, Value-Deluxe, and we feel the Disney bubble at every resort. When we have stayed off-property, it was a real letdown.

I have travelled all over the world, and I have never had these feelings anywhere else except for Disneyland.

People do what works for them, but it's not fair to minimize others' personal experiences, because from their perspective it's their reality.

I think we all know that "there is no actual physical bubble surrounding WDW property." No need to condescend.

Many people experience much more than a "mental image". It is an all-encompassing euphoric feeling that can cause one to express strong emotions including laughter and happy tears. As we enter Disney property, my heart beats faster; I begin to cry and laugh at the same time. I experience this elation for the entire trip until we leave Disney property.

We have stayed at every level, Value-Deluxe, and we feel the Disney bubble at every resort. When we have stayed off-property, it was a real letdown.

I have travelled all over the world, and I have never had these feelings anywhere else except for Disneyland.

People do what works for them, but it's not fair to minimize others' personal experiences, because from their perspective it's their reality.
Agree 100%. Something doesn’t have to have physical properties to be real.

I have never been able to put those feelings that I have inside the “Disney Bubble” into words. Well articulated.

All good, I think we're all saying the same thing and playing a bit of semantics. We all agree the bubble exists in our minds. If you cry when you enter WDW property, that's awesome that it makes you feel that way. I can't say I cry, but I love being in/around WDW too. Your reaction is purely because of how you value being on WDW property. Same with being letdown because you're off property. That's fine for you, and it's not wrong. We just don't see it the same way. As I mentioned, we tried staying at the Swolphin a few times and we felt no special magic, no special bubble, nothing. We actually wished for all the conveniences our offsite location afforded, so we left. For us, the "magic" or the "bubble" is the fact that we're on vacation at WDW. Being physically on their property the whole time has no special meaning to us. I'm not minimizing it for those who do, just giving a counterpoint to it. So many people say "You'll miss the magic of the bubble if you stay off property", or as you said "it was a real letdown". My only point is that while this may be true for you, it may not be true for everyone. The "bubble" is only what you make of it.

You're absolutely right, their perspective is their reality. My perspective is my reality too. Neither are right or wrong.

Last edited:
All good, I think we're all saying the same thing and playing a bit of semantics. We all agree the bubble exists in our minds. If you cry when you enter WDW property, that's awesome that it makes you feel that way. I can't say I cry, but I love being in/around WDW too. Your reaction is purely because of how you value being on WDW property. Same with being letdown because you're off property. That's fine for you, and it's not wrong. We just don't see it the same way. As I mentioned, we tried staying at the Swolphin a few times and we felt no special magic, no special bubble, nothing. We actually wished for all the conveniences our offsite location afforded, so we left. For us, the "magic" or the "bubble" is the fact that we're on vacation at WDW. Being physically on their property the whole time has no special meaning to us. I'm not minimizing it for those who do, just giving a counterpoint to it. So many people say "You'll miss the magic of the bubble if you stay off property", or as you said "it was a real letdown". My only point is that while this may be true for you, it may not be true for everyone. The "bubble" is only what you make of it.

You're absolutely right, their perspective is their reality. My perspective is my reality too. Neither are right or wrong.

Devil's advocate here... since most people only go to WDW once, maybe a couple times... (compared to a lot of us nerds here...) wouldn't a prudent course of action be to "try" staying "in the bubble" first? Experience it, then you have something to compare. Your argument pretty much concludes that people would be better off in a condo, etc... People can stay in a hotel anywhere. They can't stay in a WDW resort anywhere. We typically do both. We stay on site for Disney days, and offsite for other days. Best of both worlds.

I have to agree that I don't particularly care for just a plain, old hotel room offsite. When we stay offsite, it's generally in a vacation townhome or house that I ensure is MUCH nicer than my own home. So that aspect of offsite rental is quite luxurious.

We have had the pleasure of visiting WDW for over 20 years. We stayed at WL when it first opened. It was our daughters first trip and I kept the paperwork to put in a travel log we keep for the kids. We paid 140 a night, taxes included. This was in the day when they had the "Food and Fun" package which was a great deal. Twenty years later and one is lucky to get a value resort for that money. Prices are crazy. We discovered Bonnet Creek years ago when we were traveling with a large group(it was our treat) and we could not afford Disney lodging for 10. We have stayed at Bonnet Creek several times since and honestly have no complaints. Our trip last year we stayed 3 nights at French Quarter. Beautiful resort but we were very glad when we moved to Bonnet Creek for the remaining. Our trips are usually 10 days or longer and I really love having a washer/dryer. I understand the Disney "bubble" as I LOVE Disney but the same feeling can be found elsewhere. When we drive under the sign on our way to BC we feel onsite. I have a husband who hates the buses so we drive regardless of where we stay. With annual passes parking is free at the parks and we arrive back at the resort in no time. I've always planned our days before we go and I purposely avoid extra hours as the parks seem crazy that day so we don't miss that perk. I can't believe the amount of people who pay to park at a resort when paying over $300 a night. We need 2 rooms at any property with the exception of the suites. I think when paying over $600.00 a night parking should be included. Please keep in mind this is just my opinion and I understand not everyone agrees which is fine. On our last trip we were on our big balcony watching the fireworks with a couple extra thousand in our pocket. I definitely felt the magic!!!

We are Wyndham Bonnet Creek converts. The value and space can’t be beat and the location is that of a Disney resort. We love all the pool/lazy river/hot tub options, and we’ve been in January, February, and April.

People say to “do the math” and on-site may be cheaper, but that will never be the case with Bonnet Creek when you compare it to literally any room on property, even a value room vs. WBC 1 bed. No resort fees, no parking fees, quick drive to the parks, and we rope drop so parking is not an issue.

Any “magic” we have felt in an on-site hotel is topped by the experience at WBC. My kids LOVE it so much I’d be afraid to stay anywhere else. We’re paying $210 a night next April for a 3 bed 1500 sq. ft. condo inside Disney gates. You can’t get one room at a moderate for that. I once stayed in a one bed for $89/night. Total! I mean, can’t beat that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter