New to Disboards, and Disney trip planning

MelGirl

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone! I'm 24 years old, I live on the west coast of Canada, and you can call me Mel if you like :) How did I end up on this wonderful forum? Here's my story:

My best friend Bry and I are planning a Disney World trip for sometime during Fall 2018 most likely. She's never been before, and I've been twice but never stayed on site. What makes this even more interesting and special is that this will be the first time that ether of us has ever traveled without a parent/guardian of some kind, or planned/booked a trip completely by ourselves. I know it might seem lame that we're already in our twenties and still haven't traveled sans parents, but hey, there's a first time for everything right?

Basically, whatever first time Disney trip planning advice and tips you can give us would be greatly helpful :)

The proposed trip date is still a long ways off so we don't have anything set in stone yet, but our current plans/ideas are as follows:

-We are planning for 10 days ish, which from my past experience should be about the perfect trip length to do everything but still be relaxing.

-5 or 6 of the days would be park days, one day would be spent at Universal because we are both big Harry Potter fans (she's a Ravenclaw and I'm a Hufflepuff and proud of it just by the way XD), and the rest of the days would be off/rest days spent in the pool, wandering the resort, shopping at Disney Springs, spa day/treatments (something we'd really love to do) at the GF or what not.

-Still Unsure on parkhoppers, but my family had them on one of the two trips I've been on, and as I recall I enjoyed the flexibility, so we'll see.

-We like the idea of using a dining plan. We don't necessarily care if it does or doesn't save money (will crunch the numbers anyway), we just like the all-inclusiveness and having everything pre-paid. As somebody who has done the whole paying out of pocket thing, I like the idea of not having to worry about budgeting for that at all- It just seems easier.

-We haven't decided upon resort, but we know its more likely that we'll stay in a budget resort. I've been doing a lot of research and from what I've found Art Of Animation (woohoo little Mermaid themed standard rooms XD) and the Pop Century are the best of the budgets. My dream stay however, If I had it my way, would be the Polynesian :) Not sure if that will happen, but a girl can dream right? Yes I've heard of people doing split stays to get the best of both worlds, but personally I would rather just call one room home for the whole trip instead of having to move around.

At the moment we are intending to save up about $5000 each to cover everything. Does this seem realistic to you guys with experience? What do you think is a reasonable budget for two adults coming from Canada, for a ten day stay? Tips, tricks, things to be aware of for first time trip planning and first time travelling alone? Anything we should consider adding, changing, or removing from our current plans?

Thank you all in advance for any help or advice you can give us!

Last edited:
I myself have never stayed on Disney property and our 3rd trip is coming up in 3 weeks and we still aren't on property. We looked into it this time but decided we wanted flexibility in a condo gated community. I think your budget sounds fantastic for only 2 people. You should definitely get the park hoppers for Disney. I would probably do 2 days at Universal because there is an AWFUL lot to experience there as well and unless you fork over extra money to hop lines, you will spend a LOT of time in them ! I don't know much about the Disney Dining Plan except that I read that it is hard to break even with, that being said, it is very expensive to eat in the parks...Hence the reason we got a condo so we could cook some of our meals. 1 thing I have made sure of is that I pack a backpack cooler with water, light snacks a plastic baggie with tickets, ID, money. Credit cards and sunscreen. This way we minimize the amount of money spent on water and necessities while also keeping things waterproof !! That's about all the advice I can give. Have a wonderful time !!!

I did forget, I don't know if you are renting a car but since you're coming from Canada I can presume you would be flying so renting a car is actually a good idea. You may need more than your original budget to do this and ALL the activities you listed. Just make sure you do plenty of planning and number crunching. Download both the Disney World park app so you can reserve fast passes and know ride wait times. Also the Universal app is good to have as well !!

Hi Mel! I'm Meagan. I'm new here as well and new to Disney planning. I didn't even know that this level of planning was a thing until I started working back in March on the trip that my best and I are taking in December (10th-16th) this year. So much to think about! I've never planned a trip of this scale on my own before and it's so daunting. Even at 31, lol.

We're not staying at one of the resort hotels this time around to save some money, but otherwise things are going fairly smoothly so far. We've got our park tickets, our Magic Bands, hotels are booked, and just yesterday we got tickets for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party on the 15th! It was a must because we're celebrating my friend's upcoming birthday (18th) while we're there and she's a massive Nightmare Before Christmas fan so she of course wanted to meet Jack.

I can't really offer much advice as I've only been to Disney twice before and both times I didn't have to handle any planning or payment because I was much younger. What I will offer advice on is that I think staying at a resort hotel is going to be so helpful, so good going there! Also with $10,000 between the two of you things should be more than fine! I guess it boils down to how much you'll be spending on flights, resort stay, and miscellaneous like food, shopping, but it sounds like plenty to me.

As a comparison, my best friend and I are going on just over a $3,000 budget between the both of us. We're hoping we'll be able to save up extra for shopping before then, but that's covering all the essentials of the trip. We live in Tennessee, so we're driving the 8-9 hours down to Orlando which is saving us a lot as well.

We're not doing the Park Hopper option because I've heard transit times between the parks using the shuttle buses and things can take a while. My friend and I decided we'd rather just have the cheaper tickets and devote each day of our trip to one park. We've spread it out though. We're doing Hollywood Studios on Sunday, Magic Kingdom on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, Epcot Tuesday and Thursday, and Animal Kingdom on Saturday. We also plan on getting there early and staying until close, but we'll see how that goes.

Overall, I hope you enjoy the planning process as much as my friend and I have so far. It's so exciting and I can't wait for December. :D

Hello-
I signed up for the same reason. I was offered a vacation trip, and was able to put it off for a few years due to contracts I must finish.
I've never planned a vacation before, and a Disney vacation seems very involved.
I went to Disney World in 1976, when I was 12, my father did some work on Tom Sawyer Island.

To be honest, I am very frightened. I don't know anything about Disneyland. Hopefully on these forums, I will be able to find out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter