New to ABD, but not the Disney experience

Tikitoi

DIS Veteran
And that's why if I go "across the pond" I want to do it this way. But it will most likely be me and DD12, anyone ever done this? And would I be guaranteed a room for just the 2 of us? We are looking at places like; Italy or Central Italy (though not sure what the difference is), Paris, Spain or England/France. I realize it is a matter of choice, but what do you think will be more appealing to a 12 year old as I am interested in all that were mentioned. And I have been reading about booking these through Costco, but do you have to be a member in order to do this? As I saw their memberships are not free. And neither of us are a fan of heat (90's +) so what is a good time to go. Also, do they have anything with Hawaii? I didn't see it on their site. Not sure if I was overlooking something. Thanks for any info you have. :hippie::upsidedow

And that's why if I go "across the pond" I want to do it this way. But it will most likely be me and DD12, anyone ever done this? And would I be guaranteed a room for just the 2 of us? We are looking at places like; Italy or Central Italy (though not sure what the difference is), Paris, Spain or England/France. I realize it is a matter of choice, but what do you think will be more appealing to a 12 year old as I am interested in all that were mentioned. And I have been reading about booking these through Costco, but do you have to be a member in order to do this? As I saw their memberships are not free. And neither of us are a fan of heat (90's +) so what is a good time to go. Also, do they have anything with Hawaii? I didn't see it on their site. Not sure if I was overlooking something. Thanks for any info you have. :hippie::upsidedow

I can't answer all of your questions but I will answer what I can.

ABD does not pair up people to room together, you and whomever is in your party will be the only ones in the room. They don't have a Hawaii trip, I understand they used to in the very beginning but they discontinued it. As for booking, well I don't shop at costco and a gift card from them would be useless to me. I have booked my trip directly with ABD and that worked well for me. Good Luck if you decide to go on one of the trips.

I just came back last week from the Viva Italia trip (read my trip report on that thread). I took just my DS15 and left DH and three girls at home! It was a wonderful trip. I, like you, knew I wanted to travel abroad but didn't think I could navigate a place like Italy by myself - London, Paris, maybe; but not Italy. These DIS boards actually sold me on using ABD! I encourage you to read trip reports and ask lots of questions - all ABD travelers are very enthusiastic and are a wealth of information.

When we went, we had one room for the both of us - two beds in the room (granted, at times they were separated by only a few inches, but two beds nonetheless!). From what I understand, Viva Italia hits the true "Italian" spots...all the places you think of when you think of Italy. The Bella Italia spends time in the southern portion of Italy, which is very beautiful. Several people in our tour spent time down there before doing our tour and they thought it was beautiful, but didn't think they would enjoy that week-long tour, even though it does travel to different places. As for the heat, we went in mid-June and it was hot; Rome was hot, Florence was brutal, Artimino was wonderful, and Venice was lovely. If I had to do it again, I would maybe shoot for even earlier in June or late May if you do not like heat. We are from Florida so are used to heat, but Florence was very uncomfortable.

We booked through Costco and yes, you do have to be a member. Membership is, I believe, $25 for the year, and if you book through them, you get a $300 gift card (at least that was what they gave me at the time I booked), that you will receive upon returning from your trip. Other than that incentive, there is no real reason to book through them as when you call, you're immediately directed to an ABD desk.

I highly recommend ABD and I hope you'll be able to enjoy a vacation with them!

The lowest level memebership at Costco is $50 - I wish it was $25 :-). The amount of the gift card is dependent on the cost of your trip. Last year for our trip to Costa Rica for two people the gift card we received was $225. For the Alaska trip this year it will be $250.

We just got back from Ireland on our first ABD. The Disboards sold me on ABD as well. I didn't want to go overseas on my own. I have to say that ABD is worth every penny! There is no way you could do everything they set up or get all the little "extras" they provide. You really have to worry about nothing (except what time to wake up each day). Whatever trip you take will definitely be wonderful. We booked through Magical Journeys.

Thanks everyone for all the info. Good to know will only be me and DD in our room. I geuss it's just like booking a regular hotel ressie, not sure why I thought we'd get put with someone or something like that. :rolleyes:But we would most likely be shooting for an early spring, hopefully not too hot. As we are easterners. That Viva Italian sounds good as it would be a whole new cultural experience for us. Costco gift card sounds good, but we don't have one here. Although I could probably just use it over the internet. :surfweb: Just like everything else. :rotfl:

I booked directly through ABD. Their concierge agents are really knowledgeable, and will spend time to answer your questions. They send you letters when ANYTHING changes on your reservation. And, quite honestly, with the way the cancellations were going this year, I was really glad to be dealing with ABD directly, rather than through a 3rd party. I was able to ask questions directly and negotiate & make decisions without going through somebody else. TA's definitely have their place, and I have used them, but not for ABD.

Sayhello

When you book through Costco, you are booking directly with ABD. All your correspondence is directly from ABD and if you want to make changes to your itinerary, you can contact ABD directly. The only difference is that you get a big fat Costco gift card when you return from your trip. For me, that meant getting the early booking discount plus $300.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter