New ticket system coming to WDW - Begins October 16th

Status
Not open for further replies.
UNFORTUNATELY, that info is not necessarily correct.

Yes it is correct. That would be why I was careful to use the word, "should," as opposed to "will".

The latter implies a certainty that the former does not. As the man said, they should honor prior tickets. He did not say they will.

It's up to each of us to hedge the bet as we see fit- I personally don't intend to hedge it at all.

Last edited:
I will be buying 10-day PHs this week. My DH and I are going from 12/29-1/9 and I'm hoping that Disney will allow me to upgrade to a DVC Gold AP once the blackout period ends (we have been able to do this before). If they don't ... well ... it's their loss. Our DD and her BF may or may not join us (we have the Dolphin reserved for them for 5 days and we'll punt for the remainder days). I'm still mulling over the number of days I'm going to get for them. If they go, they'll be there for a minimum of 6 Disney days. But if I only get them a 6-day and they want to stay longer I'm sure they'll get screwed on the upgrade. *sigh* If they don't go, we'll use the tickets for next December.

Does anyone know if you purchase tickets before the price changes, say a 3 day ticket but then you want to upgrade to more days after the ticket price changes can you do that or will you then fall under the new rules/prices?

Any changes in one day value tickets for the MK anticipated? I have two of those to buy for the first Wednesday in March. Usually I just buy something like this sometime right before my 30 day fastpass window. I think I'll just wait and see.

I anxious to see how AP's are going to be handled.

Last time they had a change I was waiting to see if DVC had a deal, the normal DVC AP turned into the gold card with black out dates for $20 more. IT would have really hurt if I was planning Christmas or Easter trip.

Instead of gold, silver, etc,perhaps they will have polka dot pass..... You tell us what days you plan to come over the next year and we'll tell you what it will cost. We are planning everything else to the Nth degree, why not that?

this whole nonsense is making Universal's $400 AP with six extra months free way more appealing. :cool::cool::cool:

I set up an MDE for my DSIL's offsite trip next month and it took so much explanation, because Disney is so overly complicated. Next week, I'm going to go on her account to do her FP's. It was just easier then having to get her to understand that she would have to be sitting on her computer at exactly 7am to choose what she wanted to do for the day and then have to do that five more days. ::yes::::yes::

I will be buying 10-day PHs this week. My DH and I are going from 12/29-1/9 and I'm hoping that Disney will allow me to upgrade to a DVC Gold AP once the blackout period ends (we have been able to do this before).

You should have no trouble doing this, since it's an established business rule to allow upgrades to APs even if the ticket being upgraded was used during block-out periods and ticket booth CMs are even trained to use this rule to help sell more APs.

Any changes in one day value tickets for the MK anticipated? I have two of those to buy for the first Wednesday in March. Usually I just buy something like this sometime right before my 30 day fastpass window. I think I'll just wait and see.
Starting Oct 16th, from what we can tell there will no longer be a different price for a 1 day MK ticket as opposed to a 1 day ticket for any other park. A 1 day ticket will be the same price for all 4 parks. The cost of that ticket will be whatever price Disney decides to charge for that particular date.

You should have no trouble doing this, since it's an established business rule to allow upgrades to APs even if the ticket being upgraded was used during block-out periods and ticket booth CMs are even trained to use this rule to help sell more APs.
I had a bit of an issue upgrading the last time. We had an expired Gold AP (12/19/16) that we wanted to renew by bridging a 7-day PH on the 7th day (1/1/17) that was still in the blackout period. It was ... complicated and took a lot of wrangling:

From my post:
I upgraded my 7-day hopper to a Gold AP renewal with some difficulty last night at AK at park closing. First the CM said that I could not upgrade to a Gold AP since my park hopper started inside the blackout dates and I used those days. The CM double checked with a supervisor and came back and said we could. Then the CM said that I could not get the renewal. She checked and said we could. Then she said we could not apply the park hopper to the price and when she checked she said we could.

In all it took 30-40 mins to get it done but I was successful with a bit of patience and perseverance.

This time I won't be upgrading until well out of the black out period, but will be using the pass on 12/30 which is within the blackout period. I wonder if they will continue bridging passes and how that will work with the new ticketing system.

Does anyone know if you purchase tickets before the price changes, say a 3 day ticket but then you want to upgrade to more days after the ticket price changes can you do that or will you then fall under the new rules/prices?
That was one of the questions I asked the CM I spoke to yesterday, and he said he thought we'd be able to keep the old price for the ones we had and pay for the new ones under the new price. I was going to point out that technically, the new one would be part of a package and should be cheaper than a new single day ticket, but since there wasn't a firm answer he could give me, I didn't press him on that particular fine point.

It seemed to me that the logical thing to do would be to reserve NOW the most tickets I could want. If I estimated the wrong number of tickets, it's easier to subtract than add as they would not be adding a "new" ticket to an "old" package, they'd just be subtracting an "old" ticket from an "old" package. So that's what I did. I could be wrong but I'll take the risk.

Last edited:
That was one of the questions I asked the CM I spoke to yesterday, and he said he thought we'd be able to keep the old price for the ones we had and pay for the new ones under the new price. I was going to point out that technically, the new one would be part of a package and should be cheaper than a new single day ticket, but since there wasn't a firm answer he could give me, I didn't press him on that particular fine point.

It seemed to me that the logical thing to do would be to reserve NOW the most tickets I could want. If I estimated the wrong number of tickets, it's easier to subtract than add as they would not be adding a "new" ticket to an "old" package, they'd just be subtracting an "old" ticket from an "old" package. So that's what I did. I could be wrong but I'll take the risk.
Many of us still believe from experience that the cast member you spoke with provided you with incorrect information. Historically as soon as you make a change to an existing ticket the entire ticket becomes based on the current ticket pricing structure.

If you decide to take days off after Oct 16th you may wish to do the calculations as even decreasing the days in your ticket will have potential to cost you more. Just run the numbers before making any changes I’d my recommendation.

Last edited:
Nanny of us still believe from experience that the cast member you spoke with provided you with incorrect information. Historically as soon as you make a change to an existing ticket the entire ticket becomes based on the current ticket pricing structure.

If you decide to take days off after Oct 16th you may wish to do the calculations as even decreasing the days in your ticket will have potential to cost you more. Just run the numbers before making any changes I’d my recommendation.
I think it's pretty unlikely that I'm going to change anything, that's part of my calculation. Also, this is a big change in method of pricing and use restrictions, more than just a price increase. They'd have a pile of unhappy customers if they decided to renege on what they had promised, but I suppose they'll decide if that's worth the risk. It's interesting that they've been so opaque about it.

One good thing (for me) is I'll find out well before I leave if anything is likely to happen, just by reading this thread. I'm sure people will post their experiences!

Last edited:
We will be at WDW 2/5-2/9 before a cruise. Just need 2 days of park tickets, non-hoppers. Thank goodness I saw this thread, as I would've had no idea the pricing was changing. Wasn't planning to buy for a few more weeks.

Just bought them now. I'm a firm believer that there is very little chance that prices will go down at all, so I'm taking the chance. :)

I'll be interested to see how this plays out. I have 5 night hoppers and added two nights to the beginning of our Nov trip, so the plan was to upgrade to 6 or 7 day hoppers- however, the day I'd add on would be the Sat after thanksgiving, so Im adding a High season day to what's otherwise a low-reg season trip. My tickets are third party, from before the increase in Feb, so it could end up costing a fortune just to add a day or two.

I can also buy water park tickets or Xmas party tickets to supplement the 5 day hopper, or "upgrade" to a longer base ticket.

I'm quietly hoping I can get a kind cm who will bridge my tickets in a way that it doesn't cost $400 for 4 people to add a day or two but not getting my hopes up.

The possibility of adding two days, upon arrival, during peak season is why I switched my tickets now. Instead of 4 day PH I went to 6 day PH. I just hope AP pricing doesn't go up. I think we would have heard rumors by now. Also, hoping to bridge the tickets toward AP renewal.

Also nervous about AP prices going up. I’m hoping to renew I’m December. Wondering if I should buy tickets before the change? Not sure that would help me at all.

Also nervous about AP prices going up. I’m hoping to renew I’m December.
1. Wondering if I should buy tickets before the change?
2. Not sure that would help me at all.
1. Only if you intend to actually USE those tickets, as-is.
2. Unlikely to "help" if your intension is to upgrade them or use them to help pay for an AP or renewal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!