New "Theme Park Select"AP. Winds of Change?

I know it's an unpopular opinion but I'm all for throttling the benefits Florida AP holders receive.

Between the immense discount in the pass, being able to pay in installments, etc they get a leg up on the out of state AP holder.

Look at it this way -we have to make up the difference with the resort parking fees because we can’t fly and ride ME. I calculated my parking fees for my planned trips for next year, at a value, and it will be almost $500.00 unless I get a friend to drop me off and pick me up. A lot of Floridians won’t have that option. It all averages out in the end. We all suffer at the whims of Disney . . .

I agree this is bound to replace the Silver Pass, which is too bad. Galaxy's Edge is supposed to open in "fall" 2019 so I expect they could eliminate the Silver as soon as September/October. I might buy a Silver AP voucher and just wait to activate it until later next year.

When I bought my pass, I didn't have an option for Gold or silver. I got Platinum. Are those only for FL residents?

Look at it this way -we have to make up the difference with the resort parking fees because we can’t fly and ride ME. I calculated my parking fees for my planned trips for next year, at a value, and it will be almost $500.00 unless I get a friend to drop me off and pick me up. A lot of Floridians won’t have that option. It all averages out in the end. We all suffer at the whims of Disney . . .

Wow, that parking fee sure adds up! Do you get free parking at the parks like non-resident AP's? That would be enough to get me staying offsite.

I know it's an unpopular opinion but I'm all for throttling the benefits Florida AP holders receive.

Between the immense discount in the pass, being able to pay in installments, etc they get a leg up on the out of state AP holder.

You have to be careful with that though as you don't want to bite the hand that feeds you. Florida residents especially locals spend more money than you think

Wow, that parking fee sure adds up! Do you get free parking at the parks like non-resident AP's? That would be enough to get me staying offsite.

I get free park parking with my Platinum AP, but living in the Orlando area, if I am not staying “in the bubble” I might as well do day trips from home. I usually stay on property between 45 - 50 nights per year, so yes, that parking, especially after you add in the tax, really adds up. Right now, my plan is to cut each trip I usually take short by a day to make it easier for a friend to give me a lift. The friend drives right through Disney going to and from work on the Osceola Parkway, so it’s not much of an inconvenience and I would rather give her a little something for gas than give the parking fee to Disney.

I am one of those people who actually took more trips during the Great Recession and after 9/11, when local tourism is what kept them afloat. If they are even remotely considering their long term business, I am one of the people they should be interested in keeping happy, not pushing us away.

Welcome to what they have been doing to CA residents at the DLR for years and years now. One pass gets you zero weekend days, the second gets you no Saturdays and like 12 Sundays. You guys still have way better benefits then we do on the West Coast.

So true. We only last year moved away from CA and gave up our passes, but yeah...the prices were getting absolutely insane and it seemed like every year they were taking away days and/or benefits. Many, many times we considered not renewing because for a family of 3 the cost was astronomical...but then H would get an unexpected bonus or something and we'd end up caving and buying one. And as an aside, I find it absolutely ridiculous that the no-blockout-dates Disneyland AP costs MORE than the no-blockout-dates WDW AP! We actually bought WDW APs in April because we have multiple trips planned in the next year, and we couldn't believe we're paying LESS for 4 parks than we did for just 2 in CA!

I remember when we first bought our DL APs they were $199 with no blockout dates... :sad1:

So true. We only last year moved away from CA and gave up our passes, but yeah...the prices were getting absolutely insane and it seemed like every year they were taking away days and/or benefits. Many, many times we considered not renewing because for a family of 3 the cost was astronomical...but then H would get an unexpected bonus or something and we'd end up caving and buying one. And as an aside, I find it absolutely ridiculous that the no-blockout-dates Disneyland AP costs MORE than the no-blockout-dates WDW AP! We actually bought WDW APs in April because we have multiple trips planned in the next year, and we couldn't believe we're paying LESS for 4 parks than we did for just 2 in CA!

I remember when we first bought our DL APs they were $199 with no blockout dates... :sad1:
Us too, on buying wdw APs. The APs in Cali are out of whack price wise and no renewal discount. We will see what the next year brings at WDW...

When original poster said this was introduced today, did he mean it was available for purchase on wdw website? Because I went now to check if there was anything different for Gold AP and the page isn't responding...disneyworld.disney.go.com isn't responding for me

ETA: site is working now. I would imagine changes will start to happen to the myw tickets and the rest of the AP's. Hopefully have a few months so I can renew with current ones.

Last edited:
We drive from Oklahoma so will still have resort parking fees even with my AP.

Not all out of state folks come without a car.

We drive from Oklahoma so will still have resort parking fees even with my AP.

Not all out of state folks come without a car.

I totally understand where you are coming from. The poster I was replying to was implying that residents are making out like bandits and wanted that stopped, and we really don’t. There are always going to be deals exclusive to one group of people or another, whether for residents, international travelers, those who fly, etc. I don’t think it really pays to be in one group over another, because Disney is working hard to wring every last dollar out of all of us, wherever we come from and however we get there. It’s just the way they wring it out of us that may differ. I feel bad for everyone who has to pay the parking fee because I feel it’s a blatant money grab and opens the door to nickel and diming in other ways, including charging different rates each day which we are talking about here, and down the road, fees for ME and resort fees among others. Resort fees will be my breaking point, and since I’ve been visiting since they first opened, that day will be a very sad one for me.

Very interesting. I think they are going to redo all of the passes. I currently have a platinum AP. We bought the voucher last year via DVC. I believe we paid about $550 each. From what I now see, that pass is $950 for the general public. For a family of five, that adds up quickly. Looking at a lower tier tick would be my next option, but look at this calendar...

Unfortunately, with a wife that works for the schools, and kids that are in school, our visits are a weekly trip each summer, and perhaps a few long weekends. One weekend is MLK. So Saturday of MLK, the only park we could go to would be AK.

While Silver is not an option for me at this point, Gold is. But it has its own blackout dates. If they start to look more the "Theme Park Select" dates, and if the cost of the other AP continue to rise, we may have to start making other choices about our vacation plans...

Same here, it was nice to have the platinum APH. Especially for our trip the first week in July when we enjoyed the WP several days, then parks at night when cooler!

I’d like to think when it’s time for me to renew (starting next month), the Gold APH discount will still be offered as a perk.

I’d love to have the option, if the price was accordingly lower, to purchase the Silver Pass for my DH who doesn’t visit as often as I do.

They were like $500 when we first moved back here in 2014, as we were able to get them through the military. Now we can’t do that, no renewal discounts, etc. Our passes are up end of March and we are leaving to who knows where in May (fingers crossed for FL!) We live well under our keans and are at DL a lot so we can afford them, it just gets harder and harder to justify.

Going to disney world in december 2018. I am deciding betweent the florida resident theme park select, or the silver annual pass It specifically states that you can visit all four on the same day if you buy the silver, but the theme park select doesn't specify, can anyone tell me if you can park hop with the florida theme park select pass?

the theme select is 40.00 cheaper than the silver

Going to disney world in december 2018. I am deciding betweent the florida resident theme park select, or the silver annual pass It specifically states that you can visit all four on the same day if you buy the silver, but the theme park select doesn't specify, can anyone tell me if you can park hop with the florida theme park select pass?
I believe you can enter multiple parks in the same day as long as the park you want to enter is not blocked out on that day. The blockout dates are different for each park with the Theme Park Select Pass.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter