New "Theme Park Select"AP. Winds of Change?

mrzrich

DIS Veteran
Today Disney introduced a new AP to Florida Residents. The THEME PARK SELECT AP is THE SAME PRICE AS SILVER. No one in their right mind would look at the price for each of these passes and choose Theme Park Select. It is for this reason I suspect that this pass is eventually going to replace the Silver pass. Disney already announced the California Resident AP's will experience this type of block out in Disneyland when Galaxy's Edge opens. I suspect this is WDW's way of easing the new structure on Florida AP holders.

It is good at all 4 parks only 175 days a year. It allows entry to "at least one park" 325 Days a year. Each Park has its own Block Out Dates.

Magic Kingdom is BLOCKED OUT EVERY SATURDAY. Also of note, Thanksgiving Week which in the past has not been blocked out to Silver Passholders.

mk.jpeg

Epcot is blocked out every Friday Saturday and Sunday during Food and Wine. Of note is a block out on the weekends of Run Disney Events, and NO BLOCKOUTS during June and July

epcot.jpg

DHS is blocked out Labor Day, MLK, Presidents Day, and Memorial Day Weekends (Sat-Monday). As we get closer to Autumn, we may get a hint of what to expect for Galaxy's Edge, we would expect the Fall 2019 block out dates to be announced. Disney may drop a boom on Silver pass holders before Fall 2019 dates are announced .

dhs.jpeg

Animal Kingdoms Block Out calendar is actually very close to the current Silver Calendar.

ak.jpeg

Am I off base? Do you thing Silvers are about to get the rug pulled out from under them?

Last edited:
Very interesting. I think they are going to redo all of the passes. I currently have a platinum AP. We bought the voucher last year via DVC. I believe we paid about $550 each. From what I now see, that pass is $950 for the general public. For a family of five, that adds up quickly. Looking at a lower tier tick would be my next option, but look at this calendar...

Unfortunately, with a wife that works for the schools, and kids that are in school, our visits are a weekly trip each summer, and perhaps a few long weekends. One weekend is MLK. So Saturday of MLK, the only park we could go to would be AK.

While Silver is not an option for me at this point, Gold is. But it has its own blackout dates. If they start to look more the "Theme Park Select" dates, and if the cost of the other AP continue to rise, we may have to start making other choices about our vacation plans...

I remember the good old days (aka 3 years ago) when an annual pass was just an annual pass. No black out dates, just extra $$ if you wanted water parks and disney quest.

I’m FL res gold AP, but this is getting so complicated. Then again, I’m gonna be one of those nuts that will throw down whatever’s asked to get into Galaxy’s Edge opening week :rolleyes2 (see avatar LOL)

:scared: You're most probably right! Disney keeps cutting Florida resident benefits. I remember when the 3/4 day passes had NO blockout days. Now Florida residents are blocked for everything that our kids have vacation time from school. Sadly, majority of the Florida residents who do not live in Orlando, go to the parks on Saturdays, and now under this pass, MK will always be blocked. In the end, like everything in Disney, we spend more money for less "benefits" every year as disney's profits increase.

Thanks for posting, mrzrich!

I've linked to this thread in the Ticket Sticky under the "Florida Resident APs" section.

I had already decided not to renew our APs next year due to paid resort parking. If this happens I'll feel even better about that decision. We always got Gold for me for the Memory Maker and Silver for the rest of the family. No way am I paying for Gold for all of us.

We'll do the occasional hard ticket party for our Disney fix and stay offsite.

What would be the worst is if they started some kind of "variable" pass where they change the blockout dates at will throughout the year, and you're left guessing.

Guess you don’t remember the Seasonal pass, which was just Silver without parking included... and the Weekday Select pass still existed back then too.
Bad phrasing, I meant to say before the teirs started at WDW (gold and silver). My first AP costed my around $32 a month, no blackouts. Now I’m at $45/month with a couple blackout weeks.

For the life on me I can’t understand why this Pass was released TODAY of all days. All parks except Epcot are blocked out until August

Guess you don’t remember the Seasonal pass, which was just Silver without parking included... and the Weekday Select pass still existed back then too.
Ahh, the Weekday Select pass still exits today for Florida Residents: $289 or $307.79 with tax.

Disney Weekday Select Pass Blockout Dates:
The following blockout dates apply for 2018: June 23, 24; June 30 - August 9; August 11, 12, 18, 19, 25, 26; September 1, 2, 8, 9, 15, 16, 22, 23, 29, 30; October 6, 7, 13, 14, 20, 21, 27, 28; November 3, 4, 10, 11, 17, 18, 24, 25; December 1, 2, 8, 9, 15, 16; December 20-31.

The following blockout dates apply for 2019: January 1-3, 5, 6, 12, 13, 19, 20, 26, 27; February 2, 3, 9, 10, 16, 17, 23, 24; March 2, 3, 9, 10, 16, 17, 23, 24, 30, 31; April 6, 7, 13-28; May 4, 5, 11, 12, 18, 19, 25, 26; June 1 - July 31.

Source: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/passes/

Dave

For the life on me I can’t understand why this Pass was released TODAY of all days. All parks except Epcot are blocked out until August
Locals could buy/use normal MYW tickets for this month’s trip then upgrade after their last admission (like some do during a Christmas/Spring)

Not just marathon weekend but ALL RunDisney weekends

As of this AM it’s priced the same as silver....

I can’t wait to see how much more APs will have to pay for less when gold/silver inevitably get restructured...used to have a seasonal back in the day then silver (same thing just parking added) upped to gold in 2016 as it was a better deal to upgrade then do a weekend memory maker for wine and dine that year....

I definitely see anything below platinum getting more blackouts if not at least park exclusive ones for galaxy’s edge

Currently the only difference is that the Silver Pass still allows hopping to all 4 parks in a single day while the new Theme Park Select pass has to varied black-out dates.

Dave

Not just marathon weekend but ALL RunDisney weekends

I can’t wait to see how much more APs will have to pay for less when gold/silver inevitably get restructured...used to have a seasonal back in the day then silver (same thing just parking added) upped to gold in 2016 as it was a better deal to upgrade then do a weekend memory maker for wine and dine that year....

I definitely see anything below platinum getting more blackouts if not at least park exclusive ones for galaxy’s edge

Yeah, I looked closer at the calendars and I see that now. I edited the original post. Also edited the fact that DHS it isn't just blocked out MLK and President's day weekends, It is also blocked out Labor Day and Memorial Day Weekends.

I don't think you should panic and start comparing what's happening in California to here,from what I understand what's happening in California is that the number of passholders is so large they're being forced to limit the annual passes and increase blockout dates and prices.I don't think that's what's happening here as far as passholders,in fact I woudn't be surprised if sales of AP's are lower than their expectations and this is just another offering to entice people with new options,okay that was me just being positive and/or naive,and now here's me believing the OP's opinion.All I can say about that is that the silver/seasonal has always been one of the most popular AP's,they would have a lot of upset people if they were to remove it and replace it with this new pass,I was looking at the blackout dates on it and at least for me its worthless,if they want to add more options to their pass list I'm all for it but leave my silver pass alone.

I don't think you should panic and start comparing what's happening in California to here,from what I understand what's happening in California is that the number of passholders is so large they're being forced to limit the annual passes and increase blockout dates and prices.I don't think that's what's happening here as far as passholders,in fact I woudn't be surprised if sales of AP's are lower than their expectations and this is just another offering to entice people with new options,okay that was me just being positive and/or naive,and now here's me believing the OP's opinion.All I can say about that is that the silver/seasonal has always been one of the most popular AP's,they would have a lot of upset people if they were to remove it and replace it with this new pass,I was looking at the blackout dates on it and at least for me its worthless,if they want to add more options to their pass list I'm all for it but leave my silver pass alone.

I hope you are right...but it’s the price point that has me suspicious. EXACTLY the same price as Silver. Who would buy this while the Silver calendar looks so much better? All they are getting is Epcot’s concrete jungle in the oppressive heat of June and July. They are giving up Food and wine weekends and every Saturday at Magic Kingdom.

Not sure if anyone saw this but AP have an add-on for this summer for like $100 it was in the newsletter that Disney sent out

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter