Ya, it still wouldn’t help me based on the timetable, but how hard is it to hire another team of contract engineers for a year term once they knew they were behind? They should have been able to open these at the same time having two teams work seamlessly together... unless this isn’t the whole story...

Possibly the ride requires construction modifications inside and they’re still able to roll those into the WDW buildout and have engineers onsite to then quickly get it operational and will need to wait anyway at Disneyland for structure or vehicle modifications to take place before engineers could get in there and apply software or sensor fixes...

Either way a company of this size and ability should have seen issues like this way back in the spring and doubled down on their development efforts to at least hit the original opening dates (or very close to ~30 day delay)
They’ve had people working on the DL one 24/7 for months. Just last week, the samples man at my local Trader Joe’s was telling a coworker that he had barely seen his boyfriend lately because he’s working overnight every night on “the new Star Wars ride they can’t get open.” I’ve mentioned here that it’s been described as “hemorrhaging money” and “extremely broken.”

Whatever choices they’re making now, I don’t think there’s been a lack of effort to get the DL version open. It does sound like they’re maybe redirecting efforts to DW at this point, but I don’t think that’s been the case all along. And they have to make the choices now that they think will increase revenue the most.

As much as the parks evoke an emotional response from me they are just a business. It’s a very good business decision to get WDW on line first so it doesn’t bug me.
No denying its smart business - at THIS point, when they're already well behind schedule. Smarter business would've been opening the premiere attraction in a reasonable window following the land opening. But that's neither here or there now, huh?

If you look at this from another point of view, the WDW version of this ride opening first could be a very positive thing.

So Rise of the Resistance is opening 1/17/2020. That's the Friday of Martin Luther King weekend, which is usually when just about every school kid around has off that weekend. After you get through the Christmas holidays, then the lower-level AP block outs usually end. AND that's when lots of rides go down for refurb until early March...when Spring Break season starts.

Between January & March is when all of the die hard Disney fan AP locals will go on ROTR. Then when spring break season starts, they'll mostly stay away except for maybe an odd evening once in awhile...and when they go, they'll end up hitting up ROTR in the evening after work.

So go to SWGE earlier in the day if possible, as you would want to for any major E ticket ride at DL. It'll be just fine!

I say let WDW have both rides first. I would NOT want to be at Hollywood Studios in December. Some of those WDW tourists can get insanely intense about getting what they perceive as their designated spot for something like this. I'd much rather deal with the California crew of DL guests instead.

I have a feeling the stage of construction at WDW vs. DLR when the problems arose has something to do with WDW getting their RoTR first. I could definitely be wrong, of course.

I was hoping for a little more cushion time between the ride opening and our trip, but I'll take it. I really wanted it to be open for our next trip and I'm excited to experience it.

I feel relieved that it doesn’t open in November in DL...
I think it won’t cause too crazy crowds because my guess would be that many do Christmas trips to WDW now instead of Disney (at least that’s my hope) to experience it first...so the rush to ride it won’t be that strong for DL because it won’t be new in January...
But I don’t think we will see a very slow January / February... though much depends on Christmas season crowds in WDW as well as DL.

Oh, well. My husband was hoping it would be open during our October trip, but I was feeling much more zen (or is it pessimistic?) about it. We're lucky in that we will be able to go soon enough, whenever it opens.:hippie:

I am a terrible person- this news thrills me. I was so worried the new ride was going to open in October when we’re in Disneyland. I love Star Wars. I had preferred to not be there the first week (or month) that this new ride opens.
I feel you. I’m debating moving our trip to January 11-17 specifically so that we miss it.

I really don't care that DW is getting their RotR before DIsneyland. I'm a person that has fun at the parks no matter what. Doesn't matter if I get on one ride ten rides or zero. But for some reason DW getting the major E ticket before my home park of Disneyland rubs me the wrong way. I can't put my finger on why. Well whatever it is like I said at the beginning it really isn't that big a deal. Only a month and a half difference between the Resorts. Plus I'm so wrapped up in all the Christmas festivities at the DLR that I'd rather have something to look forward to after the Christmas season is finished.

Questions in my head:
1) MLK weekend opener with Deluxe unblocked = yikes?

2) I wonder what this means for refurb season? Will they still take them down, or have to leave them up to absorb possible crowds? My guess is they still have to come down, to maintain and/or prepare for Summer 2020.

I'd also guess that the WDW version was still in a construction mode, which made it easier to make the adjustments as compared to the DL version which may need some dismantling to get it done.

Yes, I'd put money on this.

I was hoping that "end of the year" meant, well, "end of the year." Our trip is Jan 12-14. What are the chances of a "soft opening?" Did they even have one for the other ride? Well, now the park will be even emptier than we expected.

I was hoping that "end of the year" meant, well, "end of the year." Our trip is Jan 12-14. What are the chances of a "soft opening?" Did they even have one for the other ride? Well, now the park will be even emptier than we expected.

I'll be there Jan 12-19. Just curious, why do you think this will make the parks emptier?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter