New Southwest policy (or so I was told)

dkostel

DIS Veteran
I got a text from Southwest at 12:30 AM saying that they were refunding my early bird booking. When I called this AM to see what that was all about the rep said I had double booked and that they are now automatically cancelling and refunding duplicate bookings. What really happened was that I booked a different flight for the same day and was going to move the original flight to another day (I was able to use points for the new one, as I just had enough). When I went to move the original flight I got the message that I had to call to change the flight and I didn't have time just then. So apparently if you book two flight on the same day/same route they will cancel the original one automatically, refunding it and the early bird if you paid for it.
The rep I talked to was a bit rude saying that their planes were flying half empty because of people double booking and canceling at the last minute. The only reason I didn't cancel the original flight is because you used to not get refunded for early bird and I didn't want to lose $15.
Maybe this is old news, but she said it was a brand new policy.

My SIL is an attorney who never knows when depositions etc will get out. She doesn't want to wait around airports for hours. So she'll book more than one flight then as she realizes she can take one vs the other she cancels. She uses SW exclusively. I see very little wrong with the situation and highly doubt SW was flying half empty because of it lol.

I don't know where those half empty planes are! When I fly domestically, it is always on Southwest and every time I hear the PA announcement, "Folks, we have a very full flight today, so please blah-blah-blah". I really love Southwest, though. They have the funniest FA, nicest pilots, and decent ground staff, plus the best cancellation policy in the business.

I don't know where those half empty planes are! When I fly domestically, it is always on Southwest and every time I hear the PA announcement, "Folks, we have a very full flight today, so please blah-blah-blah". I really love Southwest, though. They have the funniest FA, nicest pilots, and decent ground staff, plus the best cancellation policy in the business.
Every single flight on Southwest I have taken in the last year (and I fly a decent amount) has announced "We have a completely full flight today". About 75% of those are not even close to completely full. I think they are required or encouraged to say that now.

I don't know where those half empty planes are! When I fly domestically, it is always on Southwest and every time I hear the PA announcement, "Folks, we have a very full flight today, so please blah-blah-blah".

That's exactly what I was thinking also.

This has been the policy since May when Southwest switched over to there new reservation system. Quite frankly I'm glad. Too many people gaming the system. Your lucky, other airlines would void both tickets and be well with-in their contract of carriage to do so. So telling the agent that you "didn't have the time" and "you didn't want to lose your Earlybird fee", didn't score you any sympathy.

Had a flight in May from Phoenix to Ontario, CA that was about 1/3 full. Seems anyone could have their own 3 seat row.

If the OP had his early bird charge refunded also (sounded like it) then he has not lost anything from just changing the flight. Add me to the list of OK with SW cancelling double booking. If you need an earlier flight try standby.

I got a text from Southwest at 12:30 AM saying that they were refunding my early bird booking. When I called this AM to see what that was all about the rep said I had double booked and that they are now automatically cancelling and refunding duplicate bookings. What really happened was that I booked a different flight for the same day and was going to move the original flight to another day (I was able to use points for the new one, as I just had enough). When I went to move the original flight I got the message that I had to call to change the flight and I didn't have time just then. So apparently if you book two flight on the same day/same route they will cancel the original one automatically, refunding it and the early bird if you paid for it.
The rep I talked to was a bit rude saying that their planes were flying half empty because of people double booking and canceling at the last minute. The only reason I didn't cancel the original flight is because you used to not get refunded for early bird and I didn't want to lose $15.

I wouldn't even call this scenario "double booking" since the OP was basically in the process of rearranging the flights. I would have done the same if I thought I was going to lose the $15. There is no indication how far out the flight is scheduled from when this took place.

if they would refund that Early Bird fee, then I think people would cancel a little more readily. I try to hold out on purchasing Early bird until I know my plans are more solid.

Anyway, good to know about the double booking on the same day. I don't think I've done that before (although who knows - I wouldn't have thought twice about it). The closest I have come is book flights on two days in a row until we found out whether DH could get an additional day off.

The ease of change and cancellation is what has made me so loyal to Southwest. It really changed my mind on what the whole process of buying airfare can be like.

if they would refund that Early Bird fee, then I think people would cancel a little more readily. I try to hold out on purchasing Early bird until I know my plans are more solid.

Anyway, good to know about the double booking on the same day. I don't think I've done that before (although who knows - I wouldn't have thought twice about it). The closest I have come is book flights on two days in a row until we found out whether DH could get an additional day off.

The ease of change and cancellation is what has made me so loyal to Southwest. It really changed my mind on what the whole process of buying airfare can be like.

According to the OP and others, the Early Bird fee is now refunded in these cases.

I have "double booked" a flight only a couple times, but not for the same day, usually for a consecutive day, on points, as I finalize my plans, to hold a very low fare.

I think this is not actually a new policy, but with the rollout of their new reservation system in May they now have the ability to find and cancel the duplicate bookings. There's been a lot of whining over on Flyertalk.com

Flights half empty?? In all the trips I've ever taken, I've only twice ever been on a flight that wasn't nearly 100% full!! (Friday was one of them, only 36 passengers!) Most all of the time they are announcing 'we are completely full today, please fill each and every available seat as you board'

Choose a flight. If you don't like it, then change to another flight, by cancelling that flight and booking a new one. There are only so many seats at each fare...so if you book a flight, but figure you'll cancel it, you've basically taken away those seats from someone else, who now has to pay more for their seats.
SW has an incredibly generous change policy...no fees. So, if you choose to change your flight, for whatever reason, and you don't get EBCI back, so be it. Small price to pay, in my opinion. Much better than having to pay a $100 change fee.

It has never occurred to me until now that people do this and I find it kind of rude, tbh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter