New Shanghai park

I am eagerly awaiting an annoucment of the opening day. I really cannot see it being in Spring now - I think it may even be pushed back to Sprin 2017...either way I just want to know!

I am eagerly awaiting an annoucment of the opening day. I really cannot see it being in Spring now - I think it may even be pushed back to Sprin 2017...either way I just want to know!

Think you might be right. Looking at the current progress...things have looked like they have slowed down on construction. Know the castle fire launched an investigation...so not sure if that has slowed down progress.

But Disneyland hotel and area looks to have all infrastructure complete. Might just be working on interior details atm.

Latest drone videos and photos...looks like so much to do before their new target date of Spring 2016

Though the dates as noted keep being pushed back. And our take from online new press Disney wants it open and don't want to commit to any dates and times for completion.
Disney is facing allot of backlash from the investment and finance communitys...as to their choice to even open a park in China.too much detail to go into here

Will be interesting to see what happens I the coming months. And if they up the construction staff and try to really aim for their spring 2016 target.

Side note
As frequent flyers one of our airlines was sending out emails for packages for the opening. Flights , room , tickets etc

However those links are now dead
Which tells me we might see another date push back.

I have been anxiously awaiting the park opening since I moved to China a few years ago.

orion2185, it's interesting that you mention there being backlash for building the park here. Things are done differently here. Some is good and some isn't so good. I wonder, too, if some find it interesting that they are building a park relatively close to Hong Kong. I've read/heard that Hong Kong Disneyland hasn't done as well as people hoped. I've only been there once in the "busy season" and I was surprised that it wasn't more crowded. It's different from the U.S. parks, but I think it is wonderfully charming in it's own way.

Still, without getting into politics, I have friends who at the moment would only have access to the ShangHai park, so I wouldn't be surprised if it does well. I think it has the potential to be mutual beneficial for Disney and China; bringing in more tourist while creating a larger loyal fan base among the population here.

We are planning to go in September, 2016. We already had a trip planned to Tokyo Disney. Then we are taking a 10 night cruise from Tokyo to Shanghai. Once we realized Shanghai Disney would be open we decided to extend our stay and visit that park as well. Very excited and can't wait to go!
Donnaz, which cruise are you looking at? That would be an amazing way to catch both parks.

Planning an August 2017 trip to both Tokyo Disney and Shanghai. We're eagerly awaiting updates and news.

I have been anxiously awaiting the park opening since I moved to China a few years ago.

orion2185, it's interesting that you mention there being backlash for building the park here. Things are done differently here. Some is good and some isn't so good. I wonder, too, if some find it interesting that they are building a park relatively close to Hong Kong. I've read/heard that Hong Kong Disneyland hasn't done as well as people hoped. I've only been there once in the "busy season" and I was surprised that it wasn't more crowded. It's different from the U.S. parks, but I think it is wonderfully charming in it's own way.

Still, without getting into politics, I have friends who at the moment would only have access to the ShangHai park, so I wouldn't be surprised if it does well. I think it has the potential to be mutual beneficial for Disney and China; bringing in more tourist while creating a larger loyal fan base among the population here.

It's always been my speculation that the HK and Shanghai markets are too different, even though they're both "China" now, the language, currency and political situation between the two are totally different, so it didn't surprise me that Disney would be building a separate park in Shanghai.

I've been to HK and HKDL a few times and have several friends who are natives of HK. A lot of them don't like the "mainlanders" because of differences in etiquette, etc.

I've been to HK and HKDL a few times and have several friends who are natives of HK. A lot of them don't like the "mainlanders" because of differences in etiquette, etc.

I can understand that. Hong Kong reminds me a lot of New York with people being nice but busy and some leaving out the nice part. It was very nice and very different from the small, poor area I live in.

Still eagerly awaiting an announcement - got leave booked from work in May and nothing booked yet incase there is a update. Looking very unlikely now though....

I can't believe I haven't noticed this thread before now! I wonder when the mods are planning on setting up a new section just for SDL?

I've been following along pretty much since ground breaking on this. I like the Theme Park Guy's website for updates, which usually links to the Disney & More blog. I hadn't seen any updates for a while, and was surprised at how finished the place is looking now! I know there's still plenty of work to do once the buildings have been built, but maybe they'll still be close to their estimated opening day?

I was planning to go for opening day, just to be part of Disney history. Sadly it looks like that won't be happening as I won't have enough leave (or perhaps money lol!) leftover after the other trips we've got this year. I might try and go next year instead, and just look forward to a potentially slightly more organised chaos within the park. I also like the Tokyo - Shanghai cruise idea!

Wow this thing suddenly got real! Too bad I can't go any more. This would have been the point where I was jumping on airfares!

Wow this thing suddenly got real! Too bad I can't go any more. This would have been the point where I was jumping on airfares!

Yes that's the same for me too. I waited and waited and heard nothing so I had to move on and plan something else for 2016 before airfares became too expensive and I missed the boat. In this case it's a revisit to WDW with Shanghai pushed out until 2017. Although the initial excitement is hard to regulate at having a new Disney theme park, it's tempered by the knowledge that I would prefer to go when things are ironed out and running smoothly. It should certainly be that in 2017.

Woah, someone must have heard my wishes!

Airfare from the UK to that part of Asia is cheap for that time of year but we are worried about the weather. I would happily move holiday days but I worry it will be way too humid for us? But when will I ever get to say I was at the opening of a Disney park.....

Woah, someone must have heard my wishes!

Airfare from the UK to that part of Asia is cheap for that time of year but we are worried about the weather. I would happily move holiday days but I worry it will be way too humid for us? But when will I ever get to say I was at the opening of a Disney park.....

I looked up the weather for that time of year yesterday. Doesn't sound great lol! Much like Florida. Hot, sticky and high chance of pouring rain every day. But I agree, it's a pretty rare opportunity!

day before my birthday! American has great availability for Business class award tickets from O'hare that week too- may just make this happen...

Oooh business class flights to Shanghai Disneyland for your birthday... I love it!

I so want to go. I will be in China from 7/16 to 7/26 visiting my daughter in Beijing. It is very tempting. I wonder if we can use DVC points in the hotels. And when we can book the hotel.

I so want to go. I will be in China from 7/16 to 7/26 visiting my daughter in Beijing. It is very tempting. I wonder if we can use DVC points in the hotels. And when we can book the hotel.

Just a short train trip away :thumbsup2 Maybe your daughter would want to join you (assuming she gets time off while you're there)?

Oh we are considering it for sure. My daughter is a teacher, so she will be off during my visit, and has already looked at the train schedule for me. :) My son is going with me so I am hoping that my daughter, her boyfriend and my son and I can all go, just for 2 nights if possible. I know it will be busy since it will just be opening, but I just would love to go.

Oooh business class flights to Shanghai Disneyland for your birthday... I love it!

Yeah it's a lot of miles for 6 of us (my parents would come too) but between my AA account and my dad's we have plenty of miles.

My biggest hang up right now is taking the time off of work- I'm a dentist and I really prefer not to take off on a Thursday (our office operates a satellite clinic that is only open two days a week so closing for a Thursday is almost like closing for a whole week)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!