New seizure disorder & broken shoulder

bronzebrunette78

Mouseketeer
Hi there, just looking to get some advice and opinions on here. My husband and I have had a WDW trip planned for this coming January for close to a year. We rented points from a DVC member through this site actually. We will be celebrating my youngest son’s first birthday while there, and my oldest son’s third birthday. Needless to say, we’ve got our hands full. A little over two weeks ago, my husband had a medical emergency while at work. He had a grand mal seizure, went into rapid afib, and broke and dislocated his left shoulder. They’ve since determined that he has a seizure disorder and he just had a second surgery on his shoulder two days ago. He is expected to be in a sling with no mobility to that shoulder for the next 6-8 weeks. I am reaching out to the DVC member to see what our options may be, but from the contract signed, it looks like the most he could do would postpone the trip until March IF there is an alternate availability for another DVC rental. What do we do? Go ahead with our original plans and just take it a lot easier than expected? I feel like we need a break so bad, but I’m also really nervous about getting stuck in lines with two little ones if my husband can’t help much since I have been having some back pain recently. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. His diagnoses have flipped our life upside down and I’m trying to remain calm about all of it, but I’m really just a panicky mess. He can’t drive for the next six months per state law and I’m juggling the boys and his numerous appointments right now. Please help!

Your husband should be able to wait in line with you and the kids and just not ride when it comes time. There are always to exit without riding.

I say go as long as his doctors are ok with it. Plus, at those ages, your kids might be more into shows and characters than rides.

What do we do? Go ahead with our original plans and just take it a lot easier than expected?

First I would confirm with his doctor(s) that he is allowed to travel, and travel to WDW. (Traveling and traveling to a major theme park may be 2 different responses.) Assuming he has the go-ahead, I'd stick with your plans to go and celebrate your sons' birthdays. With young kids, you'll want to take things a little slower anyway.

As for rides, most likely anything with a height restriction may be too much for your DH's shoulder. So just plan to skip any of those. Do the shows. Do the easier stuff. The kids are young enough they won't know or care what gets skipped. They'll have a terrific time whatever you do and see. Plan your 3 FP+, get in a few more attractions by refreshing for a 4th, 5th, etc. Will the 3-yr-old be able to get himself onto rides while you carry the 1-yr-old? Some attractions have a moving walkway and while it can be slowed at most there are a couple where the walkway cannot be slowed or stopped. Check some YouTube videos to see what rides might be most suitable for your family right now.

Don't overlook spending "downtime" at the resort. Relax at the pool. Some resorts have playgrounds. Some resorts have beaches (no water access, just the sandy beach). I think all resorts offer games and activities during the day, and movies at night a couple of times a week.

You might ask at Guest Relations about a stroller-as-wheelchair tag, it may be available as an accommodation for your back problems. That would allow you to keep the kids in the stroller in queues.

Enjoy your vacation!

When in January will you be going, and what kind of shoulder surgery did your DH have? We just came back from a trip with a 7yo and a 3yo, my SH and my MIL. MIL has some anxiety and difficulty walking (she's 82) and I am about 4 weeks post op from a shoulder surgery on my dominant side - a Bankart repair (arthroscopic) and a HAGL repair (open surgery), so I have some wicked scars and we were that super-slow-moving family. It's my 3rd shoulder surgery, all from sports injuries.

I can't speak to the seizure disorder - and I am truly sorry you are dealing with all of this. But if your DH's doctors say it's ok, to travel w the seizure issues, I would NOT let the shoulder surgery stand in your way.

I was supposed to be in the sling for 4 weeks (approximately), and I started the trip wearing the sling and by the end of the trip I was able to not be in it all the time. I understand your DH's surgery may be different, but it sounds like he will be at 6-8 weeks post op by then anyway? If so, I wouldn't worry about the shoulder issues! I was able to push a double stroller with both kids in it, but slowly. Mostly I used my body (hips) to help push on the surgery side, and the non-surgery side arm did the steering - so imagine standing off-center behind the stroller. I was able to hoist my 3yo and put her on my hip on my non-surgery side (this may be an issue if your DH has back problems, though), but I was able to do it for short times. Button up/down shirts were my go to when I was still in the sling, but now I can get loose things on over my head (long and short sleeved shirts), and can mostly get them off myself.

As for lines, etc. - how are you with wearing your younger one on your back? When we've taken our kids when they were younger, I could get our DD2 into and out of a back carrier by myself, and then hold DD1's hand, and in some ways that was easier than a stroller (but I took both just in case). If your back pain resolves by then, that may be another option for managing the kids.

Also - January should be low crowds, so lines shouldn't be too bad. No need to be a park commando on this trip!

One last point - even if your DH is in that "doesn't have to wear a sling" point by your trip, it might be good to wear it on transportation and while entering the parks - people are much more aware, he won't get jostled, and I found it to be much more comforting for myself. Also if he's almost able to be out of the sling by then, also ask the dr if he can use the Velpeau soft sling. It is sort of hot, but it's all soft and velcro, easier to get on and off, and much more comfortable.

Also - my DD2 is 3 today, so our trip was her "birthday" trip - she got on/off pretty much all the rides herself. Insisted on it, actually. The only one she needed help with was the carousel. She did fine with the small boats between the contemporary and Wilderness lodge, the Small World boats, Peter Pan...

Also also - let your DH decide how he feels about tougher rides - I rode all the mountains at MK plus 7DMT and I was fine, but this was also my 3rd shoulder surgery so I know what I can handle. (my DD1 chickened out of Everest). Other than helping my kids on and off the carousel, they didn't need my help at all.

Yes, go. A single seizure could, yes, he a spdisorder. It could also be a one-time occurrence. Talk to his neurologist. Is he on medication? Has he had any other seizures? What, specifically, are your concerns?

Thank you for your response. I guess according to his EEG, it appears to be a generalized seizure disorder, so yes, he was started on Keppra a couple of weeks ago. I suppose my primary concern would be whether his physical limitations and new scary diagnosis might put a damper on our trip......It all feels so new and overwhelming right now, and as avid Disney fans, I think we’re just realizing that this trip might have to be a little different from our previous WDW vacations.

Your husband should be able to wait in line with you and the kids and just not ride when it comes time. There are always to exit without riding.

I say go as long as his doctors are ok with it. Plus, at those ages, your kids might be more into shows and characters than rides.

This is a really good point, thank you. Our last trip was with my oldest son last year when he wasn’t quite two, and yes, some of our best memories were simply enjoying character meals, shows, and fireworks. I should focus on those things right now.

First I would confirm with his doctor(s) that he is allowed to travel, and travel to WDW. (Traveling and traveling to a major theme park may be 2 different responses.) Assuming he has the go-ahead, I'd stick with your plans to go and celebrate your sons' birthdays. With young kids, you'll want to take things a little slower anyway.

As for rides, most likely anything with a height restriction may be too much for your DH's shoulder. So just plan to skip any of those. Do the shows. Do the easier stuff. The kids are young enough they won't know or care what gets skipped. They'll have a terrific time whatever you do and see. Plan your 3 FP+, get in a few more attractions by refreshing for a 4th, 5th, etc. Will the 3-yr-old be able to get himself onto rides while you carry the 1-yr-old? Some attractions have a moving walkway and while it can be slowed at most there are a couple where the walkway cannot be slowed or stopped. Check some YouTube videos to see what rides might be most suitable for your family right now.

Don't overlook spending "downtime" at the resort. Relax at the pool. Some resorts have playgrounds. Some resorts have beaches (no water access, just the sandy beach). I think all resorts offer games and activities during the day, and movies at night a couple of times a week.

You might ask at Guest Relations about a stroller-as-wheelchair tag, it may be available as an accommodation for your back problems. That would allow you to keep the kids in the stroller in queues.

Enjoy your vacation!

All such good advice, thank you! So far, all the doctors have said to go ahead with the trip, with the understanding of course, that he will probably still be limited from some coasters and bigger rides. I think we can handle that. An infant and a toddler’s behavior are always a gamble, especially with the shear stimulation of WDW. I think we’ll just have to be a bit more aware of those red flags like hunger pains, dehydration, and overtired kiddos (or hubbies). Thank you so much for your input!

When in January will you be going, and what kind of shoulder surgery did your DH have? We just came back from a trip with a 7yo and a 3yo, my SH and my MIL. MIL has some anxiety and difficulty walking (she's 82) and I am about 4 weeks post op from a shoulder surgery on my dominant side - a Bankart repair (arthroscopic) and a HAGL repair (open surgery), so I have some wicked scars and we were that super-slow-moving family. It's my 3rd shoulder surgery, all from sports injuries.

I can't speak to the seizure disorder - and I am truly sorry you are dealing with all of this. But if your DH's doctors say it's ok, to travel w the seizure issues, I would NOT let the shoulder surgery stand in your way.

I was supposed to be in the sling for 4 weeks (approximately), and I started the trip wearing the sling and by the end of the trip I was able to not be in it all the time. I understand your DH's surgery may be different, but it sounds like he will be at 6-8 weeks post op by then anyway? If so, I wouldn't worry about the shoulder issues! I was able to push a double stroller with both kids in it, but slowly. Mostly I used my body (hips) to help push on the surgery side, and the non-surgery side arm did the steering - so imagine standing off-center behind the stroller. I was able to hoist my 3yo and put her on my hip on my non-surgery side (this may be an issue if your DH has back problems, though), but I was able to do it for short times. Button up/down shirts were my go to when I was still in the sling, but now I can get loose things on over my head (long and short sleeved shirts), and can mostly get them off myself.

As for lines, etc. - how are you with wearing your younger one on your back? When we've taken our kids when they were younger, I could get our DD2 into and out of a back carrier by myself, and then hold DD1's hand, and in some ways that was easier than a stroller (but I took both just in case). If your back pain resolves by then, that may be another option for managing the kids.

Also - January should be low crowds, so lines shouldn't be too bad. No need to be a park commando on this trip!

One last point - even if your DH is in that "doesn't have to wear a sling" point by your trip, it might be good to wear it on transportation and while entering the parks - people are much more aware, he won't get jostled, and I found it to be much more comforting for myself. Also if he's almost able to be out of the sling by then, also ask the dr if he can use the Velpeau soft sling. It is sort of hot, but it's all soft and velcro, easier to get on and off, and much more comfortable.

So helpful! I hope he has a similar recovery. He had an ORIF of his left shoulder—essentially 4 screws to put the bone back together again. The surgeon said he had great strong bones, so we’re hopeful that he may have a speedier than normal recovery time. I think he might actually be in one of those slings you mentioned now. Definitely much more supportive than the first one he was given. We will definitely bring that along regardless of whether he’s out of it in time for the vacation— it seems to give him a lot of relief. As for carrying the kiddos, yes, I can use an ergo baby with my one year old. The three year old is super independent....when he wants to be. Like a typical toddler, he can just be stubborn and I fear that in the heat or lines at Disney (though much more bearable in late January), he might just throw himself on the ground or tug and pull at will. Typical toddler unacceptable behavior that we continue to battle (and really, he’s a great kid 95% of the time :). Long story short, I think these posts have at least helped me to feel like we don’t want to postpone our trip. Good times are still to be had! Thank you!!

We had a regular red-bi Aussie (farm breed and thinner than show Aussies) which was my DD#2's dog but lived with us. She passed a couple years back. We also currently have a mini blue merle (7 years old) and she is my baby! iphone 001.JPG iphone 009.JPG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter