New popcorn bucket, construction update, crowd report + park pics (& maps :-))

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
Folks, this is the new popcorn bucket, which was, I believe, released on Friday. Lines for it today were especially long although they didn't seem to be sold out by the time I left at 2:30. Note that these are not AP refillable buckets. I believe they're $22 and come with a one-time popcorn fill.
IMG_0456.jpg

As you all can see in the pics below, a good portion of the Tomorrowland construction is now complete and the resulting grassy knoll (hmm, that phrase sounds familiar but I can't seem to place it... ;-)) looks very nice. I'm pleased with how it turned out. The removal of that portion of the construction walls also means that the main entrance to TL from the hub is now much wider and easier to pass through.
IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0462.jpg

Crowds were heavy today, likely due to the long holiday weekend. We were at rope drop, of course, and were excited as always when we had a good place in line for PP. However, our excitement soon changed to disappointment when we learned that the ride was down due to technical difficulties. That meant that all FL guests began to make a beeline for every other attraction. Within moments, the line for Mr Toad grew easily to three times its typical length moments after rope drop. The same was true of Dumbo and Alice. Oh well. As an aside, we returned to PP at 11:00 for my friend's wife to get a return time (she was in a wheelchair). Just as we arrived, the ride went down again. Friends and I often joke that we don't feel we've started the day right if we don't ride PP first.

One unusual occurrence: at the bag-check entrance this morning, a woman carrying only a bottle of water tried to walk straight through, simply bypassing everyone else in line. Apparently she thought that she was exempt from the process because she was only carrying water and no bag(s). This didn't sit well with anyone -- guests or security CMs, as many of you might imagine. She exagerbated the situation when she got annoyed and criticized security CMs, essentially, for doing their jobs. She was asked to go to the back of the line. She did but then joined the next one entrance over. No one likes when people behave as if they're entitled. And even less so when they cop an attitude.

I've got park maps for anyone that would like a set. As always, please message me directly and include your preferred mailing address.

A few more park pics:

The day started hazy but cleared up later in the morning.
IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0459.jpg

Last edited:
A few more pics:

A pic of the crowds in NOS in the late morning. It gives a small sense of heavy they were today. We didn't ever ride POTC because the line was at 25 minutes when we arrived at around 9;15. Usually at that time the ride is often a walk-on.
IMG_0465.jpg

IMG_0460.jpg

IMG_0466.jpg

The first parade in the afternoon included a few hundred "snowflakes." I've never seen so many of the same costume in one place before.
IMG_0472.jpg

The handmade candy cane schedule:
ABAF4D8A-AC88-4EEC-9E84-FC404602EDBD.jpeg

Lastly, I did reasonably well on Buzz. Although I broke 2M twice, both scores were in the low two-millions and weren't especially hard to beat. When they get between, say, 2,070,000 and 2,096,000 they're much harder to beat because, as I've mentioned countless times before, scores above 1M don't display on the cruiser and once riders exceed ≈ 2,096,000, their scores reset. It's happened to me countless times and it's always infuriating.

IMG_0468.jpg

Last edited:
Those crowds..... taking my little one tomorrow for a little Christmas shopping and a few rides while her big sister is at school. I need one of those rice crispy treats for sure!!!!

I was there yesterday too. And yes, it was very crowded! I saw that you had been on Buzz when I rode about 8:40-8:45 AM. You were the high score but only around 1.2-1.3 million as I recall. I headed over to DCA around 10:30-11 and it was horrible there too. All of the food booths had huge lines and it was hard to get around. I left the parks around 12-12:30 as it was just too many people for me!

Oh and I was able to get the souvenir sipper at Galactic Grill about 9 AM. It is really cute and lights up!

Wonderful update as always.
I wonder if the grass is just temporary until they can get around to a full-on landscaping and paving or maybe they're adding a dog-walk area?
Looking forward to seeing how they hide the concrete bunker thingy going to underground TL.

Headed there in four days! Little apprehensive about the crowds, but I'm glad I made some meal reservations ahead of time!

Oh man, I'm a bit scared for our visit in Dec looking at those crowds!
Hopefully they'll be better when you're here. I think the park was slammed due to the holiday weekend. I suspect/hope they'll be better when you're here.

I think last weekend was an aberration. Hopefully crowds will be much better when you visit. I think there's a fair chance they will be.

I agree. With kids out of school for Veterans' Day on Monday, the weekend was a busy one. I wouldn't base your expectations on that. We were there all last week, I thought the early part of the week was quite a bit less busy than I expected. But by Friday it was somewhat busier than I thought it was going to be.

Last edited:
I was there yesterday too. And yes, it was very crowded! I saw that you had been on Buzz when I rode about 8:40-8:45 AM. You were the high score but only around 1.2-1.3 million as I recall.
It was a rough start to the morning :-). I think that was my first score of the day and the cruiser's gun was less than ideal. That happens more than I'd like but I try to make the best of it. Not all cruisers are created equal ;-). What makes it worse is that the ones that aren't great seem to vary from day-to-day. We memorize and share the number of the sub-par cruisers. But the following day/Sunday, that can all change. BL is not the best maintained attraction at DL, as I've known for a long time. Targets often don't work for months on end, scores often don't accompany photos at the photo kiosk and/or sometimes scores come through but no pics. It's often maddening, especially when I break 2M on both guns and don't get to claim credit for it.

Thank you for the wonderful review! Those Haunted Mansion wreath Rice Krispie treats are so darn cute!! I can't wait to get there and have one... only two weeks to go!

I love that photo looking down Main Street towards the castle in the fog... makes it seem like Main Street goes on forever. :)

Do you guys think the crowds are high because it’s the start of the holidays and everyone wants their popcorn bucket etc? Or wishful thinking? It seemed like a lot of tourists were there yesterday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter