New Phantom Manor with baby...

Baduist

Mouseketeer
seems like the refurbished Phantom Manor is said to be a bit scarier than it was.

If anyone gets to ride it before us after the re-open (May 3) with a baby I’d love to hear your experience!

We’re arriving about a week after that.

Both our toddler & baby we’re totally fine when we went on the Haunted Mansion in the US, so I’m wondering just how much scarier they made PM now...

Just so you know, Phantom Manor in Disneyland Paris before the refurb was different to Haunted Mansion in Disneyland California. The Paris version was more scary, with more realistic scenes. You should check out some YouTube videos

I’ll be following, hoping you update after your trip, I’m about a week behind you.

However the plan now is for me to ride alone....

Just so you know, Phantom Manor in Disneyland Paris before the refurb was different to Haunted Mansion in Disneyland California. The Paris version was more scary, with more realistic scenes. You should check out some YouTube videos

Thanks, I’m aware of that. Most parents who wrote about it said babies did ok.

Hoping this will be true for the new version.

We'll be there next week and get to ride it on May 2nd with our annual passes. I'll try to remember to report back. I'll have no babies or toddlers with me but I'll be able to tell you if it's significantly scarier than it was before, if that's any good? (It was never that scary anyway..)

I would say quite the opposite.

Disneyland Paris' version was very special amongst all the Haunted Mansions, in that it was not mean to “scare” the guests. In the first version, spoken by Vincent Price, and that is expected to return once the attraction open next week, the Phantom actually said that “You may not believe it, but beauty once lived in this house”. It continued: “I didn't mean to frighten you!”

There is always beauty, sometimes not at first sight.

We'll be there next week and get to ride it on May 2nd with our annual passes. I'll try to remember to report back. I'll have no babies or toddlers with me but I'll be able to tell you if it's significantly scarier than it was before, if that's any good? (It was never that scary anyway..)

That’d be awesome! Appreciated.

Today, unexpectedly, they did a soft opening before the AP event (AP holders are being not happy on Social Media ;-) ) but because of this, ED 92 was able to get in and make an onride video. It's now half French, half English :) The video is very dark, but who knows what you can make of it.
On the Facebook page of ED92 they also explain the differences between the old and the new. I'm looking forward to it! (thinking about a one day trip on my birthday next month :) )

@BrianL you may or may not want to see this video.

Today, unexpectedly, they did a soft opening before the AP event (AP holders are being not happy on Social Media ;-) ) but because of this, ED 92 was able to get in and make an onride video. It's now half French, half English :) The video is very dark, but who knows what you can make of it.
On the Facebook page of ED92 they also explain the differences between the old and the new. I'm looking forward to it! (thinking about a one day trip on my birthday next month :) )

@BrianL you may or may not want to see this video.

Oh no...no videos! I never like to watch them until I have been first. I bet it's cool though!

Updating this thread (no spoilers): I've been to the PM night yesterday, the new ride is definitely a little more “scarier” than before. Some of the very dark atmosphere has changed. Even though both Haunted Mansions are still more scary in my opinion, I don't know if I still would do PM with a baby.

Updating this thread (no spoilers): I've been to the PM night yesterday, the new ride is definitely a little more “scarier” than before. Some of the very dark atmosphere has changed. Even though both Haunted Mansions are still more scary in my opinion, I don't know if I still would do PM with a baby.

Thanks!

I’m assuming you wouldn’t do Haunted Mansion with a baby as well?

Thanks!

I’m assuming you wouldn’t do Haunted Mansion with a baby as well?

I wouldn't ride PM, HM or Snow White with a baby. Wouldn't know what to do if the baby panicks while on the ride. Better use a baby switch (if possible) or do some other rides or shows!

(Disclosure: I don't have children.)

Ok having been on it now, it is definitely darker (less light) than it was before. There are one or two patches of pitch black, so if this is something that might scare your baby then it might be too scary. I probably would not bring a baby on it because it'd all be too much between the darkness, creepy bangs and laughs, scary faces everywhere... An even slightly older child (toddler) would be ok because they've had exposure to lots of situations and seen cartoons etc but for a baby I would think it's too much too soon.

Ok having been on it now, it is definitely darker (less light) than it was before. There are one or two patches of pitch black, so if this is something that might scare your baby then it might be too scary. I probably would not bring a baby on it because it'd all be too much between the darkness, creepy bangs and laughs, scary faces everywhere... An even slightly older child (toddler) would be ok because they've had exposure to lots of situations and seen cartoons etc but for a baby I would think it's too much too soon.
Thanks!

I just got back yesterday and wouldn't call the ride scary. It was more gruesome than haunted mansion but there wasn't anything trying to get you to jump or spook. How a baby or toddler would take it is really going to be up to the individual. It was dark with lots of strange looking ghosts and skeletons moving around. Some may find it interesting and amusing and some may find it scary.

UPDATE:

We took a risk, the baby was fine. Was even playful in the stretching room. Very curious diring the ride.

I think he’s too young to understand the context of the imagery. For him it’s just interesting shapes & colors.

The other one, the toddler (3.5yo), was scared. But when we got out said it was “fun scary”. (But not enough fun to go again right away lol).

Overall we had fun :)

@Baduist, thanks for updating on this! “Fun scary” is definitely a good way to describe this attraction!

Hope you had a lot of fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!