New MLB record

dclpluto

DIS Veteran
San Fran at angles. Belt from San Fran had a 21 pitch at bat. The previous record was 20. Belt got out but he defintely won that battle. The angles young pitcher threw 49 pitches that inning. Gave up 0 runs but angels will be going to their bullpen early today.

Cardinals had a 2nd baseman 30-Some years back named Tommy Herr that challenged that record every at bat. Used to drive me nuts!!!

That at bat lasted 12 minutes and 45 seconds angles went to their bullpen in the third inning.

Last edited:

Perhaps another perspective.

My son is an NCAA pitcher. Most parents of pitchers agree, it's hard to watch without a knot in your stomach!

I'll take foul balls all day. They help put the pitcher ahead. They also mean that the pitches being thrown are tricking the batter, so it's a skill to get the batter to go after them. If the batter didn't think a strike was coming, or that he could possibly hit the ball, he wouldn't swing; they only have a fraction of a second to decide. Pitchers have to work hard at not giving off any clues as to what type of pitch might be being thrown, and that's not always easy. So I don't mind watching fouls. I mean, sure, it's more exciting to see a ball well hit (and well played!). The one thing we prefer not to see is a base on balls, as it means the pitcher lost that particularlar contest. (We do like ground balls and fly outs, as well!)

The actual science of throwing and hitting a baseball is really amazing, and comes after years and years of practice. The brain makes adjustments over time:

http://www.exploratorium.edu/baseball/articles/biological-baseball.html

It would be interesting to see some changes to speed the game up some. That could be one change.
As a baseball fan, I just don't get the big effort to give me LESS for my money!
Although so far, they have tried to shorten the games, and they games seem to be running even longer. No relationship to the changes.
About the only one I agree with is not letting the batter step out of the batter's box. As a Little League Umpire I was trained to deal with that by ordering the batter to get back into the batter's box, and if they didn't order the pitcher to throw, and no matter where it was, it was a strike. It worked.

Eh, I sometimes wish MLB would adopt the rules us kids in the neighborhood used when playing pick up games and wiffle ball. One strike or two fouls=out. We could finish a game in an hour.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!