New Member With Questions

pdweaver

DVC Since 2003
I just had knee surgery 3 weeks ago and my family and I are scheduled to visit Disney World in 2 weeks. There was more damage to my knee then my Dr. thought and the surgery was more intensive. I am not allowed to put any weight on my leg for 6-8 weeks which puts me at the 5 week mark when we visit. I have been using crutches, with much pain I might add, and my arms have about had enough. My DH has aquired a WC for me to use around the house so that I can do some stuff and has convinced me - after many painful and tiring walks through Walmart - to finally use one of their ECV's.
My Dr. has given me a note that I need wheelchair assistance and all and we were convinced that I am going to rent either an ECV or WC when we go to the parks. However, with my arms as tired and sore as they are we don't even know if I can handle the walk from the room to the bus and then bus to the park entrance. I have never had to use a wheelchair or ECV before and I felt embarassed to do so, since I can walk on my crutches. It was my family that convinced me - for their own sanity - that I need to use one!!

OK - so now that I am done rambling here are my questions:

1. Would it be better for me to bring my wheelchair from home or do the resorts have accomodations to assist you in getting to the bus?

2. Has anyone ever rented an ECV from an offsite place? If so - was it a good or bad experience? What place would you recommend?

3. If I did decide to walk on my crutches to the bus and then the park is there a place to store my crutches we are not stuck carrying them all over the park?

4. How difficult is it to get on the rides without the use of one leg? Will my DH be able to assist me even if he is not going on the particular ride? (I know that CM's can't assist you and I am nervous because of the no weight restriction on my leg)

I think that's all for now. I appreciate any help that you can give me and I look forward to being a part of boards!!

:tinker:
:figment:
:maleficen Only 12 days until we go to MNSSHP!!

I just had knee surgery 3 weeks ago and my family and I are scheduled to visit Disney World in 2 weeks. There was more damage to my knee then my Dr. thought and the surgery was more intensive. I am not allowed to put any weight on my leg for 6-8 weeks which puts me at the 5 week mark when we visit. I have been using crutches, with much pain I might add, and my arms have about had enough. My DH has aquired a WC for me to use around the house so that I can do some stuff and has convinced me - after many painful and tiring walks through Walmart - to finally use one of their ECV's.
My Dr. has given me a note that I need wheelchair assistance and all and we were convinced that I am going to rent either an ECV or WC when we go to the parks. However, with my arms as tired and sore as they are we don't even know if I can handle the walk from the room to the bus and then bus to the park entrance. I have never had to use a wheelchair or ECV before and I felt embarassed to do so, since I can walk on my crutches. It was my family that convinced me - for their own sanity - that I need to use one!!

OK - so now that I am done rambling here are my questions:

1. Would it be better for me to bring my wheelchair from home or do the resorts have accomodations to assist you in getting to the bus?

2. Has anyone ever rented an ECV from an offsite place? If so - was it a good or bad experience? What place would you recommend?

3. If I did decide to walk on my crutches to the bus and then the park is there a place to store my crutches we are not stuck carrying them all over the park?

4. How difficult is it to get on the rides without the use of one leg? Will my DH be able to assist me even if he is not going on the particular ride? (I know that CM's can't assist you and I am nervous because of the no weight restriction on my leg)

I think that's all for now. I appreciate any help that you can give me and I look forward to being a part of boards!!

:tinker:
:figment:
:maleficen Only 12 days until we go to MNSSHP!!

This should have been posted as a separate question not as part of the cheating in WC's thread. Hopefully the moderator will move it for you.
In the meantime there is a list at the head of this forum with various places to rent WC or ECV off site, I use Walker Mobility myself. You will want it to get from your room to the buses as well as into the parks etc. I suggest you order the ECV from off site and tell them you need one with a crutch holder attached.

Hi and :welcome: to both DisBoards and disABILTIES!

First of all, I would suggest you click on where it says "disABILTIES" at the top of this page it will take you to the Index. The top item is the "disABILTIES FAQ" which will gives lots of useful information, including where people rent ECVs.

The Resorts do have some wheelchairs which can be borrowed, but these are on a first-come, first-served basis and they may not have any or they may be an incorrect size.

Your crutches can be stored at Stroller Rental (which is where they also rent wheelchairs and ECVs). However, you still may need to get from the wheelchair or ECV to the rides. If you rent an ECV from off-site they can make sure there is a crutch holder on the ECV. The Disney rentals (wheelchairs or EVCs) do not do this.

Most of the attractions should not be a problem. I can foresee problems at Space Mountain. Several of the rides have ride vehicles outside so you can "test" them out beforehand. Also the CMs at the entrqance to the attraction can provide information.

I appreciate all of your help with my questions. I am really looking forward to going this year, since we have had a rough year. We are also very excited to be attending MNSSHP and the F & W Festival as well!!

:goofy:

::MickeyMo

:rainbow:

Firstly, what they said ^ ^ ^ . Secondly, if you decide to take your own chair (which would probably involve recruiting a 'pusher' for at least some of the time, as your arms aren't used to such exertion) you can get or make crutch holders to attach to the back. They're normally some kind of velcro loop. Just be warned that the tops of the crutches may get in the way of the person pushing.

Umm... there was more, but the brain's gone. I'll come back if I think of anything else.

Oh yes, have a great trip! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter